Profile for Mr. T. J. Hopton > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. J. Hopton

Mr. T. J. Hopton "yelto1" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
LG Original Quick Circle Window Clip-On Flip Case Cover Compatible with LG G3 Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cover for your LG G3, 31 Oct. 2014
Phone cover arrived within 4 days of placing my order, this phone cover fits like a glove. Its just an excellent fit that will not be beaten.

A Clean Break: My Story
A Clean Break: My Story
by Christophe Bassons

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning and truthful, 27 Sept. 2014
What a fantasic read this book is, I must admit i have been captured by the wall of silence within the cycling peloton during the early 1990s and beyond, I wanted to believe that the pro peloton was super human and that this group of sportmen just trained harder for longer than anyone else. However publications by Paul Kimmage, Willy Voet, Tyler Hamilton, Robert Millar and the Lance Armstrong era put things in perpective.
I was astounded to learn about the Frence scene with regards to EPO and other drugs which have beeen previously untold, the author has joined the dots for me and in doing so is totally honest and blunt naming names and in partiucular the Festina riders and also other French riders.
Poor Christophe has a s***ty start and end in the pro peloton just because he would not take drugs to improve his perfromances on the road, the way that is fellow riders treated him was appaling and humiliating, he suffered like no one else on the road but never gave in to injecting.

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
by David Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing more to tell, 9 Aug. 2013
I recon David Walsh knows which toothpaste Lance Armstrong uses; he has made it his life to know more about Lance than anyone else.
Finally I think this book concludes a chapter regarding the sordid tales of how he cheated and fooled the world into thinking that a miracle cancer survivor won the Tour De France 7 times on the bounce, the toughest race in history over 3 weeks.
Had it not been for people like David Walsh and others that refused to believe in the unbelievable we may never have got to the truth, David’s book finally pieces everything together.
Lance put himself in the limelight as someone cleaner than white, and within his post cancer treatment years told lies and destroyed peoples belief in winning clean, nothing stood in his way even to the point of creating “Closed Door” culture, if you spoke out then you were punished and cast aside.
It’s important for the world to know that corruption existed at the highest level, meaning the UCI knew of Armstrong cheating and drug taking, but they decided to accept a bribe that was wrapped up as a substantial donation for good causes.
In the end David Walsh was right to believe miracles don’t happen as Lance had suggested, in the end Lance has not fooled anyone anymore, a fantastic read.

Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
by Charly Wegelius

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole truth and nothing but the truth., 9 Aug. 2013
What a compelling read about the real inside story regarding Charlie, I can remember with interest following Charlie’s racing career in the cycling magazines.
What a talent he was and like everyone else choose to cross the channel and race in the European mass market, everyone knew he had a big engine but very rarely won races.
I admire Charlie’s honesty realising that he was never going to be a born winner in the professional peloton, many would have come home and raced in the British domestic league, however Charlie thought about helping others to win using his many talents.
What a great book to read, if its shit Charlie says so and honest to the point of riding close to the edge, however that’s why this book is so good.

The Dirtiest Race in History: Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the 1988 Olympic 100m Final (Wisden Sports Writing): Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis and the Olympic 100m Final
by Richard Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and Interesting Read, 2 July 2013
Cracking book to read with a great insight to the rivalry between Carl Lewis and Ben Johnson, Was Johnson set up to test positive after the Olympic final? best left to your conclusion, however everyone agreed that the final was loaded a term used to describe the amout of drugs involved with the finalist.

Its also worth mentioning that out of the 8 finalist on that Olympic day 7 have now tested positive in drug taking, if we thought that Ben deserved another chance to race again, he was unfortunatley when he returned to the competetive sport he tested positive on two more occasions, and on the 3rd time he knew it was curtains.

You wont be dissapointed in this book its an excellent read and the author has quite cleverly peiced some things together to keep you alway interested and wanting to know more.

Was Ben Johnson the winner or the unfortunate looser, one thing is for certain he lost the drugs testing after the final although he may have won the 100 metres race itself.

Garmin Nuvi 200 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (Newly Overhauled)
Garmin Nuvi 200 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps (Newly Overhauled)

1.0 out of 5 stars What a pity it did not work, 21 Feb. 2010
Well having read the reviews my mind was made up to get the Gramin 200 widescreen and initally everything seemed fine, I liked the nice and easy layout and the pre-installed places of interest that were available.

The first couple of weeks had me travelling locally and the Gramin worked fine, however I had need to travel from Leeds to Birmingham 2 weeks after I bought the Gramin and this is where I had problems.

I had saved my destination within the Favorites folder and quickly and easily got onto the M1 travelling south, After about 45 mins the Garmin screen froze and the little on screen car to indicate your position did not move again, after another 5 mins the complete screen went blank, but suppisingly the voice comands still continued.

I tried recalculating my route a couple of times but the screen remained blank, even when I switch the machine completely off and restarted I was back into a blank screen. I had to completed my journey by good old fashioned map reading.

My return jouney was exactly the same, my route onto the M1 from the outskirts of Birmingham were perfectly navigated by Garmin, however 30 mins later the screen froze again and then went completely blank, the voice comands continued, but I'd had enough and Garmin was permanently switched off.

This is my first sat nav purchase and understandably I'm very disappointed, Garmin refused to navigate me further that 50 miles down the M1, which is pretty much central England and where you'd expect to get a good sat nav signal?

I hope that I was unlucky and the Garmin was a one off, Amazon have agreed to send me a replacement straight away.

Positively False: The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France
Positively False: The Real Story of How I Won the Tour de France
by Floyd Landis

4.0 out of 5 stars You can not get away from the truth, 20 Oct. 2008
I have read most readers coments on this book and whilst the book gives an insight into the Landis early years and his unsettled time with the US postal team, the real read is about the day he rode away from the whole peloton on arguably the hardest stage in the 2006 Tour de France.
He says "I kinda had the most dreadful day, the day before and I thought my tour dream was over". You would certainly have to agree with him on that very point, loosing 8 minutes to your nearest tour rivals on a mountain stage would generally mean the kiss of death!!But Landis went out for a drink with the lads and had a few too many in order to forget about what had happend.
He woke up the next day and said to his team mates "I'm going for it", they called it the greatest come back ever in the tour?? Completely reverse the losses you had only 24 hours ago on the toughest stage, chased by one of the stongest teams and the yellow jersey holder.
The landis defence is around data error and incorrect procedure!!!
I am still quite sure in my own mind even if Landis won the tour in 2006 and there was no failed drug test I would still call him a cheat. You can not get away from the fact that what happend was just not possible in any way whatsoever from a rider not taking drugs.
The only miracles ever to make it are filmed in Hollywood?

From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France
by David Walsh

5.0 out of 5 stars A Facinating Insight to unspoken truths, 9 Oct. 2008
As a cycling fan of the Tour and and the pro tour calendar I have been captivated from first page to last page of this book. Like so many other readers I have read all of Armsrong books and Landis "Positivly False"
The tour organisors have always said no one rider or team is bigger than the tour, there is a credible argument raised in this book to suggest that Armstrong generated so much media tour publicity and associated financial gain that people looked the other way and the vault of silence was enforced by Armstrong to discourage anyone who spoke out about drugs.
Having an open mind regarding the use of drugs in cycling you cannot dismiss a number of pieces the author researches on Armsrtong that strongly suggest and convince he has used a number of performance enhancing drugs to progress his career in cycling and the Armstrong empire.
Jean Marie Leblanc the tour organisor reviewing such evidence on Armstrong said "He fooled me and has fooled us all"

Marco Pantani: The Legend of a Tragic Champion
Marco Pantani: The Legend of a Tragic Champion
by John Wilcockson

2.0 out of 5 stars Champion deserves more., 21 Aug. 2005
As a very keen road cyclist and a reader of many cycling books, I was really looking forward to this book, however after the first 50 pages I was dissapointed in the structure of the book.
Rather than give you a full picture of pantani and his team year by year and focus on the full year, the co authors of this book give you some early stuff and then just tell you about a particular stage in either the Giro or the Tour, the book fails to mention his early season training, how he got on with his team mates, what he thought of his rivals, tatics that he discussed with his managers?? things for me that make a book interesting.
There are 140 pages in this book written about a cycling champion who won the Giro and the Tour in the same year, I think Pantani deserves more.

Lance Armstrong: Tour de Force
Lance Armstrong: Tour de Force
by Daniel Coyle

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet, 13 Aug. 2005
Like other readers I have read previous books about Lance Armstrong, this one is so well put together by the author. Starting at the begining of the February you get to know exactly what's expected of a tour champion, the book nicely focuses on his team mates, and you get to know who gets on with who! What was interesting is how much information is fed back to the Armstrong camp about Ullrich, Vino, Basso, Armstrong wants to know every little thing.
Buy the book you will not be dissapointed in the read.

Page: 1 | 2