Profile for Mr. A. J. Moore > Reviews

Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery
by Henry Marsh

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary! But informative and well written, 7 May 2014
Bought it after seeing good review in the 'Guardian'. I'm also interested in NHS health issues, Acquired Brain Injury in particular.
Interesting read. Covers life from the 1980s and the ghastly 'psychiatric hospitals' (i.e. mad houses where treatment was an arguable term) up to present advances, with success stories as per TV programmes, and the ones that go wrong or are hopeless cases. It covers his experiences in Ukraine - very moving, and dreadful topical right now. Descriptions of operations made me cringe, but tell you real life. Good read - I couldn't put it down, but haven't yet been into this genre again - off to Maggie O'Farrell for now! Overall verdict? Very good, a worthwhile read, human/humane, etc.

A Creature I Don't Know
A Creature I Don't Know

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love her music!, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Creature I Don't Know (Audio CD)
I already had the original single cd version of ACIDK, but when I heard about the double disc copy, including live at York Minster, I hesitated a bit then decided to buy it, and am pleased I did, I just like the different range of songs in one playlist. The downside - like so many live recordings - it still lacks the 'chat between songs' element.

Filofax Week on 2 Pages with Monday Start 2014 Diary
Filofax Week on 2 Pages with Monday Start 2014 Diary

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 12 Jan. 2014
Just what I needed to update my Filofax. Arriived on time and were just as described. All I need now is to get a life worth recording in my Filofax!!!!! I'm not sure even Amazon can sell that!

Duracell MN2400 Plus Power Alkaline AAA Size Batteries (Pack of 16)
Duracell MN2400 Plus Power Alkaline AAA Size Batteries (Pack of 16)
Offered by UK Home & Garden Store Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 12 Jan. 2014
Arrived on time and are just what we needed for our pc's keyboard and other such stuff, and the price was far lower than High Street prices.

4 x Energizer CR2032 3V Lithium Coin Cell Batteries
4 x Energizer CR2032 3V Lithium Coin Cell Batteries
Offered by Everyday Electrics

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 12 Jan. 2014
Fine, they are just what I wanted, I can now use my hi-fi's remote controlagain! And they arrived bang on time. Thank you!

New Romantic [Explicit]
New Romantic [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Laura's oldest fan?, 20 Sept. 2013
I love LM's music but had missed this one, so I downloaded it, as, at the time, there wasn't a CD in stock. I love it! So mature for a then-17 year old. But explicit? This is political correctness gone mad! One barely audible f-word in several minutes? Try The Beautiful South's 'Don't marry her', that has an f-word every few seconds (I like that track too, despite the fudging!)! Thanks LM, your music is wonderful.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurrah. It works, 20 Sept. 2013
It fits. It works. It was relatively expensive for a small piece of plastic but I can get into my fridge again.

What Matters in Jane Austen?: Twenty Crucial Puzzles Solved
What Matters in Jane Austen?: Twenty Crucial Puzzles Solved
by John Mullan

5.0 out of 5 stars Jane Austen lives on!, 1 Feb. 2013
Fascinating! It's a detailed assessment of the characters and themes in her books and what they tell you about her era - life in the 18th/19th period, the social mores etc., and tell you a great deal more about the meaning of thge stories than you might otherwise appreciate. Very appropriate, given that just a few days ago it was the bicentennial of
the pulication of 'Pride and Prejudice'. It's essemnbtially a series of academic disertations/lecture programmes, so it's a
little heavy to read at first, but keep going and, if you're like me, you'll soon find it a page-turner. But as each chapter ois self-standing, you can pick it up, put it down and come back to it when you've got time. Overall, very enjoyable and worthwhile. Enjoy!

Sunday Morning At The Centre Of The World (A Vintage Original)
Sunday Morning At The Centre Of The World (A Vintage Original)
by Louis De Bernières

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely play/book, 25 Sept. 2011
Read this some years ago, then saw Louis de Bernieres at Latitude Festival, reading as the Narrator with a Theatre group acting all the characters. Magic! Now I'm working with a local writing group to try to write our own form based on characters in our local market, and we bought an extra copy so more could read it. Really inspirational! So, a lovely book or play to read and act.

The History Boys (BBC Audio)
The History Boys (BBC Audio)
by Alan Bennett
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great listen!, 23 July 2011
We've seen the play twice and had our own copy on cd so we knew it would be a good listen and a good present for a friend, but were still pleased to receive a fulsome 'thank you' card. Thank you Amazon, but most of all, thank you Alan Bennett for writing the play!

Page: 1 | 2