Profile for The Scribes > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Third Star
Third Star
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, true to life ... but wonderful film nonetheless, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Third Star (DVD)
I rented this film not knowing what the subject matter was. It had Benedict Cumberbatch in the cast, and becoming a recent admirer of his work it was added to my list.

When "Third Star" opened, I thought I was in for another version of the "Likely Lads" or the "Likely Lads go to Wales". It wasn't until I realised that 'BC' was playing a person with terminal cancer did the my acceptance of the script alter. How true these event could have been and how well and tender the parts were played. The whole film was so true to life that one could almost have been one of the party gallivanting around the Pembrokeshire coast.

I have no criticism of the film other than Hugh Bonneville only had a cameo role ... I expected him to have a bigger part.

Last Passenger
Last Passenger
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars A very clever thriller ... and British at that!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Last Passenger (DVD)
A really refreshing and clever thriller set on a train.

I say refreshing as the film was not packed with special effects. I've recently viewed "Man of Steel" which, I admit, was a half decent film. However, it was packed with graphics which made the film spectacular but also took up quite a bit of time. I felt that the viewer was not permitted to use his grey cells ... the story was there in front of you and that was that.

"Last Passenger" was totally different and the kind of thriller I like. A group of people stuck in a hopeless and dangerous situation with no hope of getting out of unless one of them comes up with an idea. This leaves the viewer thinking as well as wondering what is going to happen next. Yes there are some special effects that give impetus to the movie, but in the main the "Last Passenger" keeps the viewer guessing ... definitely my kind of stuff.

"Last Passenger" has a good script and was well acted out by those concerned. Recommended for the thriller lover.

The Fifth Estate
The Fifth Estate

4.0 out of 5 stars A real eye-opener, 2 April 2014
This review is from: The Fifth Estate (DVD)
If you are an 'Information Technology' novice such as I, then 'The Fifth Estate' must have been a real eye-opener for you. It most certainly was for me.

Yes, I had heard of 'WikiLeaks' and Julian Assange and also of the missing 250,000 diplomatic cables that Bradley Manning had something to do with back in the good old 'US of A' ... but the remainder of 'The Fifth Estate' was simply mind blowing. Whether you like him or not, Julian Assange was, and probably still is, a very clever man with a great idea regarding the collection and publishing of news data. The trouble is, and I think this film very cleverly portrays the fact, that Assange's WikiLeaks empire just got too big in that it could not be handled by one man especially with Bradley Manning emptying his desk draws.

Although I thought the film was going to be one big bore at the outset, this proved not to be the case. The more the film progressed, the more intrigued I became. Benedict Cumberbatch played a really good Julian Assange and he was supported by a great cast including Laura Linney who was patching up holes created by Assange's capers back in the States.

If I were to end with a conclusion I would say stick with it otherwise you'll miss a very good film.

From Time to Time
From Time to Time
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Cast ... Wonderful Film ... What more do you need?, 1 April 2014
This review is from: From Time to Time (DVD)
This one of the best British films that I've seen for some time. I didn't expect much as I had not heard of it before, but with such a great cast, I knew that the film would be enjoyable ... and I was right!

I felt that the script was well written. Although several supernatural events were a requirement and were the basis of the film, there was no nasty deliberate scares, indeed, I would go as far to say that the supernatural events blended in with the on-going plot quite naturally. Needless to say, the acting was quite superb with Maggie Smith, in my opinion, heading the list of accolades. It was good to see that both Pauline Collins and Timothy Spall having major roles in the film as both do not seem to get the credit they deserve ... and what a fine cut of a sea Captain Hugh Bonneville made, you could almost see him strutting the decks at 'Trafalgar'.

Well done to all those concerned for producing such a fine 'feel good factor' movie.

Bad Girls
Bad Girls

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bad Girls (DVD)
If you don't take this movie too seriously then you will probably enjoy it. I know that I did.

How our heroines transformed themselves from bar girls to hardened gunslingers in a matter of hours is another story ... but ... to enjoy this film, these minor details must be overlooked. The film was a good old fashioned western that was a romp from start to finish which must definitely be viewed with tongue in cheek.

Quite frankly, it was refreshing to discover that the making of a western isn't a male dominated club anymore. Agreed, certain long time cowhands must be turning in their graves but I think Madeline Stowe, Drew Barrymore and company did a fine job in producing such and entertaining film. I would go as far as to say that I would recommend "Bad Girls" to any western enthusiast.

The Possession
The Possession
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars At last ... a decent possession movie based on a true story, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Possession (DVD)
A decent possession movie that is based on a true story. OK ... so the makers of the film must have taken a few liberties to make the film into a thriller ... but even so, scary stuff.

I enjoy a thriller that is half believable and "The Possession" was. What I admired about this film was that there were no named actors and yet those involved in making this movie, acting and directional staff alike, did a fine job in keeping the viewers attention until the very last scenes.

I would recommend "The Possession" to all thriller seekers but to make sure the kids are in bed first!

Uwantme2killhim?
Uwantme2killhim?

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think!, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Uwantme2killhim? (DVD)
I'm not into IT as most are. A simple PC and the internet and I'm quite happy. Chat rooms and the suchlike I shy away from ... email is my limit and that is the way I want it. If the content of this film is possible, then I know that I'm on the right track. "Uwantme2killhim?" clearly show what is achievable and the dangers that surface if one gets into chat forums in a big way.

I much enjoyed this film as it was an eye-opener for me and a bit of a learning curve. The film was both well acted and directed and it had a decent script that contained a quite unexpected twist in the concluding scenes.

The Mortal Instruments
The Mortal Instruments

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry ... not for me., 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Mortal Instruments (DVD)
I can't understand why people rate these kind of silly rubbish. I genuinely like a thriller, but it has to be at least half believable to stand any chance of credibility with me. Movies such as The Omen, Tower Block, Poltergeist, Women in Black and When the Lights Went Out come to mind. Indeed, I will go further as to recommend them.

The Mortal Instruments was, as far as I'm concerned so far "off the wall" that I ejected the disc before ever reaching the mid way point. I think it was when a yapping hound suffered serious transformation as it leapt through a broken panelled door giving chase. "OK, so how does a normal panelled door manage to achieve that?" I asked. I didn't hang around to find out ... onto another disc.

On The Road
On The Road

2.0 out of 5 stars Sorry ... not for me., 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: On The Road (DVD)
I found this film hard to follow. It did not grip my interest from the outset, and any DVD that appears to be going nowhere is ejected. "On the Road" was one of those films and after ½ hour or so with interest suffering another film was on my screen.

Friends have told me to read the book ... library here I come!

Austenland
Austenland

4.0 out of 5 stars A "Feel Good Factor" Movie, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Austenland (DVD)
Most enjoyable - a real feel good factor movie and definitely "tongue in cheek" comedy.

After watching Keri Russell in "The Americans" where her role was all so different to what she played in "Austenland", I was impressed with her flexibility ... it seems that she can take on any role. Having said that, she was well supported by class actors which obviously enhanced the quality of the film.

If you like light comedy with a theme, then "Austenland" is for you.

Page: 1 | 2