Profile for Lawrence Poulton > Reviews

Content by Lawrence Poulton

Lawrence Poulton "Mysterious Sines" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Eno Sparkling Antacid Original 150g
Eno Sparkling Antacid Original 150g
Offered by Activecare Online
Price: 5.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Glass half full, 24 Jun 2014
I have been a fan of Eno for over 30 years, so it came as no great surprise when I saw this item. The 150g indicated was strange, used to I am to 180g pressing. Eno has always been a great innovator, even to the extent of creating a musical genre: Ambient. At first I thought this new audio format may have been ill conceived but when I look back on how Ambient 1 manages to calm my nerves and induces a state of meditation, whilst his new venture: Someday World invigorates me into creativity. How could it not work? I was somewhat perplexed as to what to play this on. My usual audio components such as the turntable, CD player and cassette deck failed miserably, although the turntable was interesting to watch as the salts revolved endlessly. I managed some interesting patterns. In the end I was stumped. There was no USB or headphone socket let alone any instructions apart from the rather mystifying direction to "add to water and drink quickly". Further investigation on the internet, coupled with reading all the other reviews led me to believe that I may have been mislead or perhaps made a rather fundamental error. This was not in fact an audio product but really was an indigestion remedy. I kid you not. Consequently, I feel rather stupid and thought I should write this review as a warning to others expecting an audio experience.

On the plus side, after a heavy nights drinking and listening to Before & After Science followed by a large kebab, this was just what the doctor ordered. In future I shall be more careful.

Happy Families Too... The Story So Far...
Happy Families Too... The Story So Far...
Price: 9.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Best served fresh, 22 Jun 2014
Lets put this review in context. I am old enough to have the original vinyl and I lived thru the 80's (and earlier decades I might add) but the late 70's and 80's were my musical awakenings. I don't like this 'reinterpretation". By contrast - I love the original. Most of my dislike can probably be put down to having lived the original and anything else, including a remake, pales in comparison. But music is of the time - it sits in a persons life historically. As such it revolves around who you were at that time, what was happening in your life and what music you turned to. Musical taste reflects a part of you and me. So, for me, the original could never be surpassed. The reworking is not relevant to my life at present as other music is now. As such its an anachronism. For me, the energy of the original is absent. This is a sanitised and perhaps too clever reworking. Something has been lost. Perhaps if you heard this without hearing the original, it would be a better experience that I received. I give it the benefit of 3 stars for that reason alone, as a recommendation to the new listener if you will. If you are a new listener, hearing this album for the first time, I would be interested what you thought of the original after hearing this.

Was this reinterpretation a bad idea? Im not sure. I would have preferred the energy and time used here to produce something fresh.

Memoryhouse (Deluxe DMM Gatefold Double Coloured Vinyl Reissue) [VINYL]
Memoryhouse (Deluxe DMM Gatefold Double Coloured Vinyl Reissue) [VINYL]
Price: 32.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Great music - poor pressing, 28 May 2014
Sadly I waited beyond the 30 day return period to listen to this. I had several LPs on order and wanted to go thru them all together in an evenings extravaganza. That will teach me. Richters music sails the hight of lows of emotion and volume. This is one of the worst pressings I have ever had the misfortune to own - pops, crackles aplenty. It must be part of a bad batch as there are 2 other similar reviews. I think It should have been recalled. Amazon - it you are listening: contact me. I am so disappointed, were it not for the CD version I own, I would cry.

Chimera
Chimera
Offered by RAREWAVES
Price: 12.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Chimera (Audio CD)
Bill Nelson is the star that never was. Heard by few but admired by many. The fusion of catchy pop rhythms and Japanesque beats is truly enticing and foot taperingly catchy. Perhaps he is best kept a secret.

No Strings Attached: Featuring Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons, Sting Ray & Joe 90
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia was never so good., 27 May 2014
I am a child of the 60's and if Gerry Anderson is my other father then Barry Gray is the midwife. Pointless analogies aside, this is the sound of my childhood.

R Plus Seven [VINYL]
R Plus Seven [VINYL]
Price: 18.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Errrr....wow!, 27 May 2014
This review is from: R Plus Seven [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I can't stop playing this chaotic, ever-changing, non-conformist music. tracks seem to merge and time stands still...ok, the last bit is not true. I would heartily recommend it for the more adventurous music listener. You will be rewarded.

Tenement Noise
Tenement Noise
Price: 14.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Biased from the start, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Tenement Noise (Audio CD)
Mal asked me to do the do the cover art - so I am biased. However, that doesn't stop me from being objective about the contents. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was nothing like I expected and nothing like you have ever heard from Mal. Its a lovely beaty ambient mix that just sits there and is happy to be listened to as intently as you want. I have found myself playing it several times in the past few days already. Go on - be bold. Give it a go.

Tangerine Dream -Live At Coventry Cathedral [DVD] [2011]
Tangerine Dream -Live At Coventry Cathedral [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Tony Palmer
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 6.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor, 24 Jan 2014
An unparalleled waster of money and probably in contravention of the Sales of Goods Act.

Poor quality footage used and reused, interspersed with non-sensical effects and to top it it all - not even the original music.

Steer clear and spend your money elsewhere.

M-Audio Venom Synthesizer International Version
M-Audio Venom Synthesizer International Version

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolf in goats clothing, 27 Sep 2013
Firstly, I like it.

Secondly, dont pay more that 150 for it.

Yes, it feels cheap, looks cheap and probably was cheap to manufacture and the multi mode is a bit of a bugger. But........

I was initially put off by the factory patches (as usual) but spent several evening getting under the hood and was rewarded. The basic waveforms are varied and great starting points. The modulation matrix is comprehensive and though the effects are not tip top, they are useable, sometimes in lesser amounts. I am a long in the tooth synth player and programmer, weaned on the Korg MS20 and working my way thru FM synthesis, a plethora of soft synths and now settled on the Roland JD800. The Venom does have something to offer me and hopefully you. But be prepared to invest in that learning curve. Its all too easy to steer towards those grungy, distortion laden patches that are the Venoms signature. However, the Venom can nip as well as bite. I particularly like the Pattern feature. I find myself drawn to the curious "analogue" drums, often instead of NI Maschine. I think it does a good job of sounding "analogue". The included audio interface is a bonus and the external inputs can be fun.

What would I change"

A second filter would be nice (routable) much like the Sunrizer on the iPad.
Changing single patches within a multi does not change the single themselves. This is a real pain unless you are paying attention.
Maybe some higher quality effects.

But for now (and probably forever as updates will never come), it works for me.

Tomorrow's Harvest
Tomorrow's Harvest
Price: 9.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Bored of Canada? Certainly not!, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tomorrow's Harvest (Audio CD)
I have a love/hate relationship with reviews. I never know whether to believe the good or the bad - its all so subjective. Peoples, or in this case, reviewers attitude to any new music will be based on a multitude of factors. For me, its essentially about the experience. How do I feel after having listened to Tomorrows Harvest for the first and umpteenth time? I feel great. I want to listen to it again.....

It certainly grows the more I listen to it. It feels like a fully formed, purpose filled piece of work. There is a cohesion. Those comparing it to a John Carpenter movie soundtrack are on the mark as far as I am concerned. There is an undeniable cinematic story telling aspect to the LP.

So, I dont know if my experience counts as a review and in so doing will sway potential purchasers one way or the other. Life's a wonderful mystery - take a chance.........

Page: 1 | 2