Profile for Lawrence Poulton > Reviews

Content by Lawrence Poulton

Lawrence Poulton "Mysterious Sines" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Merrell Moab Ventilator, Men's Hiking Shoes, Earth J87729, 11 UK
Merrell Moab Ventilator, Men's Hiking Shoes, Earth J87729, 11 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Careful when sizing, 22 Oct. 2014
I learnt from my last purchase that I had to order a 1/2 size larger that I would normally. They are, as ever, exceptional comfortable.

Pro Acoustic Foam Tiles AFW45 30 Tile Pack Studio Sound Treatment
Pro Acoustic Foam Tiles AFW45 30 Tile Pack Studio Sound Treatment
Offered by Acoustic Foam

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 22 Oct. 2014
I was shocked by the improvement these afforded. I placed them on the rear wall, opposite the monitors and a few on the side walls. The sound is now more directional, coming squarely from the monitors and stereo separation is much better. I did not find an excessive loss of higher frequencies. Indeed, the frequencies now seem flatter and more neutral but without the negative connotations that one may think. Im not a professional but I can envisage that this will all help with sound mixing. Overall - a lot of bang for your buck and heartily recommended.

Eno Sparkling Antacid Original 150g
Eno Sparkling Antacid Original 150g
Offered by Acorn solution

5.0 out of 5 stars Glass half full, 24 Jun. 2014
I have been a fan of Eno for over 30 years, so it came as no great surprise when I saw this item. The 150g indicated was strange, used to I am to 180g pressing. Eno has always been a great innovator, even to the extent of creating a musical genre: Ambient. At first I thought this new audio format may have been ill conceived but when I look back on how Ambient 1 manages to calm my nerves and induces a state of meditation, whilst his new venture: Someday World invigorates me into creativity. How could it not work? I was somewhat perplexed as to what to play this on. My usual audio components such as the turntable, CD player and cassette deck failed miserably, although the turntable was interesting to watch as the salts revolved endlessly. I managed some interesting patterns. In the end I was stumped. There was no USB or headphone socket let alone any instructions apart from the rather mystifying direction to "add to water and drink quickly". Further investigation on the internet, coupled with reading all the other reviews led me to believe that I may have been mislead or perhaps made a rather fundamental error. This was not in fact an audio product but really was an indigestion remedy. I kid you not. Consequently, I feel rather stupid and thought I should write this review as a warning to others expecting an audio experience.

On the plus side, after a heavy nights drinking and listening to Before & After Science followed by a large kebab, this was just what the doctor ordered. In future I shall be more careful.

Happy Families Too... The Story So Far...
Happy Families Too... The Story So Far...

3.0 out of 5 stars Best served fresh, 22 Jun. 2014
Lets put this review in context. I am old enough to have the original vinyl and I lived thru the 80's (and earlier decades I might add) but the late 70's and 80's were my musical awakenings. I don't like this 'reinterpretation". By contrast - I love the original. Most of my dislike can probably be put down to having lived the original and anything else, including a remake, pales in comparison. But music is of the time - it sits in a persons life historically. As such it revolves around who you were at that time, what was happening in your life and what music you turned to. Musical taste reflects a part of you and me. So, for me, the original could never be surpassed. The reworking is not relevant to my life at present as other music is now. As such its an anachronism. For me, the energy of the original is absent. This is a sanitised and perhaps too clever reworking. Something has been lost. Perhaps if you heard this without hearing the original, it would be a better experience that I received. I give it the benefit of 3 stars for that reason alone, as a recommendation to the new listener if you will. If you are a new listener, hearing this album for the first time, I would be interested what you thought of the original after hearing this.

Was this reinterpretation a bad idea? Im not sure. I would have preferred the energy and time used here to produce something fresh.

Memoryhouse (Deluxe DMM Gatefold Double Coloured Vinyl Reissue) [VINYL]
Memoryhouse (Deluxe DMM Gatefold Double Coloured Vinyl Reissue) [VINYL]

1.0 out of 5 stars Great music - poor pressing, 28 May 2014
Sadly I waited beyond the 30 day return period to listen to this. I had several LPs on order and wanted to go thru them all together in an evenings extravaganza. That will teach me. Richters music sails the hight of lows of emotion and volume. This is one of the worst pressings I have ever had the misfortune to own - pops, crackles aplenty. It must be part of a bad batch as there are 2 other similar reviews. I think It should have been recalled. Amazon - it you are listening: contact me. I am so disappointed, were it not for the CD version I own, I would cry.

Chimera
Chimera
Offered by RAREWAVES

5.0 out of 5 stars Underated, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Chimera (Audio CD)
Bill Nelson is the star that never was. Heard by few but admired by many. The fusion of catchy pop rhythms and Japanesque beats is truly enticing and foot taperingly catchy. Perhaps he is best kept a secret.

No Strings Attached: Featuring Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons, Sting Ray & Joe 90
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia was never so good., 27 May 2014
I am a child of the 60's and if Gerry Anderson is my other father then Barry Gray is the midwife. Pointless analogies aside, this is the sound of my childhood.

R Plus Seven [VINYL]
R Plus Seven [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Errrr....wow!, 27 May 2014
This review is from: R Plus Seven [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I can't stop playing this chaotic, ever-changing, non-conformist music. tracks seem to merge and time stands still...ok, the last bit is not true. I would heartily recommend it for the more adventurous music listener. You will be rewarded.

Tenement Noise
Tenement Noise

5.0 out of 5 stars Biased from the start, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Tenement Noise (Audio CD)
Mal asked me to do the do the cover art - so I am biased. However, that doesn't stop me from being objective about the contents. I was very pleasantly surprised. It was nothing like I expected and nothing like you have ever heard from Mal. Its a lovely beaty ambient mix that just sits there and is happy to be listened to as intently as you want. I have found myself playing it several times in the past few days already. Go on - be bold. Give it a go.

Tangerine Dream -Live At Coventry Cathedral [DVD] [2011]
Tangerine Dream -Live At Coventry Cathedral [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Tony Palmer
Offered by jim-exselecky

1.0 out of 5 stars Caveat Emptor, 24 Jan. 2014
An unparalleled waste of money and probably in contravention of the Sales of Goods Act.

Poor quality footage used and reused, interspersed with non-sensical effects and to top it it all - not even the original music.

Steer clear and spend your money elsewhere.

Page: 1 | 2