ARRAY(0xac684fc0)

Profile for MR B GOLDSTEIN > Reviews

Content by MR B GOLDSTEIN

MR B GOLDSTEIN (London, London United Kingdom)

Sunshower
Sunshower
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird lovely, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Sunshower (MP3 Download)
I played this song for a girl and she said 'where do you find this sxxt?' I broke up with her immediately. To know this is to love.

Good Feeling
Good Feeling
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tune!, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Good Feeling (MP3 Download)
This is a tune plain and simple makes me want to go to the gym just like the guy in the film.

Rise of The Fenix (CD/DVD Deluxe)
Rise of The Fenix (CD/DVD Deluxe)
Price: 15.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked, 17 Jun 2012
A really good album. Give it a few listens. You will love it in the end. They are a live band and you need to know these songs then go see them live for brilliant times.

Clockers
Clockers
by Richard Price

5.0 out of 5 stars Richard Price is one of contemporary America's greatest, 25 Nov 2004
This review is from: Clockers (Paperback)
I feel that Richard Price should be considered among the great modern American writers. He seems to be underrated, perhaps because his books tend to be (wrongly) stuck in genre sections of bookshops. He should be on the list with John Irving and Tom Wolfe. He has the ability to bridge the gap between entertainment and profound art. It's exciting and enjoyable reading his work, but you also feel good doing it.
Clockers is probably his overall finest book, alternating from two characters points of view throughout the book. It's moving, scary, exciting and profound and gives more real detail than any contenders writing about street life. The best thing I can say about Richard Price, which is something you find all too rarely these days...He's an excellent storyteller and that's all you need to know.
Just buy it.

Van Helsing (Two Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Van Helsing (Two Disc Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Hugh Jackman
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 9.75

2.0 out of 5 stars re: boring, 29 Sep 2004
A film that tries to entertain you so much, it ends up bludgeoning you over the head, with CGI action scene piled on top of CGI action scene. No characters, no plot, and the CGI is too cartoony to be thrilling enough. Like being trapped in a computer game, at first you think, hmm, this could be fun, then you think let me out! Rubbish I'm sorry to say.

Peep Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2003]
Peep Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ David Mitchell
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars re: The best British sitcom since The Office, 28 Sep 2004
I haven't seen the DVD, but I did watch this show religiously, so this review only counts for the quality of episodes. Peep Show is brilliant. It follows the exploits of Mark and Jeremy but is shot, literally, through their eyes. Everything is POV. This gimmick actually becomes very normal within five minutes and I think for the most part you forget about it. What is brilliant are the actor's and the script. I don't think I've seen a case of comedy being so painfully acute and dark, and willing to go that last mile that other sitcoms fear. Check out the episode where Mark, a 30ish bloke, goes home with a teenage girl. Squirm-inducingly hilarious and spot-on. I don't believe any other comedy would have followed through that particular storyline to its logical conclusion. Great stuff. The two guys are brilliant and the view it creates of modern Britain is also insightful. I can't recommend this enough. It's hilarious. Just order it. You will see. Then you'll thank me.

The Chancer
The Chancer
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars re: lost gem, 28 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Chancer (Audio CD)
Nash apparently are no longer together. What a shame. This album is genius. It's a real grower, which I always think is the sign of a truly great album. On first listen, I couldn't quite work out what I felt about it. It didn't have an instantly catchy pop vibe and it was like listening to eight different genres. Then I played it again. And again. Soon it all clicked into place. Now I can't turn it off. This is an original, soulful, beautiful, exciting album, and one which I am now completely obsessed with. Come back Russell Nash. The world needs you.

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? [VHS] [1967]
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? [VHS] [1967]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, 24 Jun 2004
Great film. First time director Mike Nichols, who went on to make The Graduate soon after. A classic play, a classic cast, beautiful photography, and the feeling that you're watching an uncomfortably accurate rendition of Burton and Taylor's actual relationship, through the hideous love affair of George and Martha. What's not to like?
One of the wittiest, darkest and most brilliant plays ever written, brought perfectly to the screen.

A Grand Don't Come For Free
A Grand Don't Come For Free
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 3.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius..., 24 Jun 2004
This really is the cleverest album of the year. Whatever you may feel about the music and the style, whatever your issue might be, this album is first and foremost, a story. Buy it, sit down on your own somewhere and listen to the whole thing through once. You will be amazed. It's funny, it's moving and it has a subtly powerful message about taking responsibility for yourself.
They say that genius is defined as saying the things we all thought but never said. The simplicity of The Streets are what make it genius. I've heard people say, "yeah well, I could of done that, I think that". But you didn't. Mike Skinner did.
Smart.

ER: The Complete First Season [DVD] [1995]
ER: The Complete First Season [DVD] [1995]
Dvd ~ Anthony Edwards
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____
Price: 10.85

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest TV show ever made, 7 Feb 2004
ER is what every other show wishes it was. And every series has been consistently better than the last. What's sweet about series one for those of us who are now watching series 9, is how the programme eases you into this dramatic arenaline-fuelled world. It trains you as an audience to become numb to the shocking scenarios these doctors go through. For example, in Series one, we spend a whole episode dealing with the trauma of a child being abused. A few series later, and that kind of storyline is a tough witty, throw-away line. We become used to the hardship and tragedy. It takes real shocks to knock us out. And ER always provides those real shocks. Once we become used to the inherent drama of a hospital setting, ER offers us a very simple pleasure. It takes three-dimensional characters and makes us fall in love with them. It gives them long character arcs. It rewards you for having watched every week. And then it takes characters we care about, and hurts them. Or puts them in danger. And all we can do is sit stunned and watch. The pace, speed, intelligence, wit and depth that ER has consistently showed, is a lesson to most TV writers, directors and actors out there. I pray that ER will never fizzle out like so many other great shows. Every year I worry that it won't be as good as last year. Every year they prove me wrong. I guess you just have to have a little faith.