Profile for Constance P. Harker > Reviews

Content by Constance P. H...

Constance P. Harker

The Unknown Ajax
The Unknown Ajax
by Georgette Heyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Hitherto unknown grandson become heir to an estate, 9 May 2000
This review is from: The Unknown Ajax (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite of Heyer's book. I read it for the first time as a sophomore in highschool. I was up until past two a.m. as I couldn't put it down. The next day, my ribs ached from laughing. 24 years later it is still delightful. (I do wish I could read it again for the first time!)
Captain Hugo Darracott is heir to his estate, much to the unpleasant Lord Daracott's dismay. Son of Darracott's once favorite son, he is the child of a Yorkshire miller's daughter. Lord Darracott, deciding that Hugo needs to be "whipped into shape" assigns one family member, Claude, the would be leader of the dandy set, to address Hugo's broad Yorkshire speech. Lord Darracott also decides to have Hugo marry his penniless granddaughter Althea. Neither Hugo, nor Althea are delighted by this edict.
It doesn't take long for Althea to discover that Hugo isn't everything he seems. Add smuggling, a ghost, and an over-eager young Land Guard officer, and you have a delightful story.