Profile for Asphodelia > Reviews

Content by Asphodelia
Top Reviewer Ranking: 737

Asphodelia (Brighton, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vax Air3 Pet Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Vax Air3 Pet Eco Upright Vacuum Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Great suction, does a great job but could be improved, 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was keen to try this bag less vacuum cleaner, which is ‘EU compliant’, subsequent to the latest legislation that made all older models of vacuum cleaners sell out.

First things first.

The instruction booklet is confusing, as it refers to various models in the ‘Air’ range. There’s a diagram of the cleaner reaching the top of the stairs from the ground floor level, but the telescopic extension tube isn’t included in this model (‘Pet’) and the tube provided is nowhere near long enough. So if you live in a house with stairs, don’t order the ‘Pet’ model. Luckily, I live in a single storey bungalow.

*THE GOOD*

The rotating brushbar is very powerful and really does an amazing job at fluffing up carpets, digging into the fibres to extract dust, hairs and obviously pet hairs. Having recently moved into my house, I’ve ‘inherited’ old carpets which I have to live with until we refurbish. They’ve never looked so clean and fluffy.

The dirt container is very easy to empty - you have to do so when it gets to about half full otherwise the machine will lose suction.

*THE BAD*

I found this vacuum cleaner quite heavy and cumbersome. I’m a fairly fit and strong person but I struggled. In the long term, that would put me off using it. In comparison, my trusted old Bertie is so much lighter.

Also, the stretch hose is really nowhere near long enough and therefore, vacuuming curtains, stairs, ceilings (for removing cobwebs, for example) is tricky, not to mention that you need to lift the machine and hold it while you do it.

The power flex is also very short, so you will need a house with a lot of sockets, or an extension cable. Again, a problem I don’t have with my good old Bertie.

Apparently, you’re not supposed to use this cleaner on hard floors. I did with no problem whatsoever though - I just didn’t use the rotating brushbar.

*FINAL VERDICT*

This is a good vacuum cleaner but the negative points highlighted above take a couple of stars off my review; in terms of value for money, I’m not sure that I’d pay full price for this. The manufacturer really need to look at those issues to make it worth the price.

Leifheit Airboard Premium M 72563 Ironing Board
Leifheit Airboard Premium M 72563 Ironing Board
Offered by Tick UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly lightweight, 15 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really needed a new ironing board so I was keen to try this 'premium' model.

First things first - they're not joking when they say it's lightweight. Although it's a very large board (my other half commented that it was the size of a surfboard!), it really is light, which, for most female Amazon customers, will be a bonus.

The range of height adjustment is also very good and I realised only as I was using this board how uncomfortable it was to use my old one. I'm not very tall and the Leifheit can be adjusted to a very good height.

There is plenty of cushioning to ensure that the iron glides well on the surface. I didn't notice any great benefit from the 'shoulder' shaped end, but my ironing skills aren't very advanced so many another user would find it useful.

The only negative is that the iron tray frame is awkard - I can't get the iron to fit on it properly. Clearly they made it 'hollow' to keep the board lightweight, but I don't think it's a very good design, in that respect.

Overall, this is a very good ironing board. The price does reflect the fact that it's manufactured in Europe, and I'm not sure if I would be able to justify spending so much on an ironing board, but if you can afford it, it's definitely a good investment and hopefully it will last you many years.

Pinzon Plush Velvet Throw Grey
Pinzon Plush Velvet Throw Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Should come with a warning: you won't be able to peel yourself off the couch, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first I wasn't sure if this throw was right for me, as the description said 'velvet' and I have texture issues with velvet. However, it's not actually velvet as in velvet jacket type of fabric: it's actually a very soft chenille. It's SO SOFT. It's just perfect for snuggling on the couch on a winter night - warm and cozy.

This brand appears to be a new Amazon brand for homewares - I'm curious to see what other products they'll add to the range. A double or king size version of this throw would be great as a bed cover in winter.

Irrevocable Trust (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller Book 6)
Irrevocable Trust (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars There's no such thing as a boring Sasha novel, 25 Sep 2014
The 6th book in the hugely successful Sasha McCandless series ties up some lose strands from Indispensable Party (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller Book 4) and from the novella Lovers and Madmen: A Sasha McCandless Novella (Sasha McCandless Legal Thriller), both of which featured the `preppers' story line. Therefore, even more than with previous books in the series, readers will need to have read the other books first. To existing Sasha fans, all I will say is: Jeffrey Bricker is back and he's out to cause damage.

Melissa F Miller has got us addicted to her brilliant mix of suspense, headline-news themes and great characters, so it will come to no surprise to fans of this series that 'Irrevocable Trust' is another page turner, a novel in which everybody is in danger, even those in the Witness Protection Programme. As a result, Sasha and Connelly will face a huge life dilemma, which will make you ask yourself: "are they really going to go ahead with that?" right until the end.

There really is no such thing as a boring Sasha McCandless novel, and if anything, you could be forgiven for thinking that our favourite attorney's life is becoming too much of a trouble magnet to be realistic. But there's plenty of realism in all these novels - the tedious sides of practising law are never glossed over, although, paradoxically, those parts as interesting as the action-packed chapters. But that's just down to the talent of this author who can bring the smallest detail to life - from the long nights reading abstruse papers,to the painful early morning starts, to the rather entertaining insight on courtroom strategies. I'm sure that Melissa F. Miller could make an essay on legal matters come to life, but perhaps, for now, I'll stick to her fiction.

Greenpan Venice 24 cm Ceramic Non-Stick Open Frypan, Grey Aluminium
Greenpan Venice 24 cm Ceramic Non-Stick Open Frypan, Grey Aluminium

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I want the saucepans, too, 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, what can you say about a frying pan? A lot, most professional chefs would probably say.
I’m no professional chef but there’s definitely a massive difference between this frying pan and something you’d pick up at your local pound store. The Greenpan Venice really feels like a quality pan - it’s quite heavy and solid, and the non-stick surface looks good and feels really durable. It’s hard to explain but with cheaper pans, if you run your finger on the non-stick coating, it feels different, thinner and coarser.

I tested this by making scrambled eggs, and I’m happy to report that nothing stuck to the surface and the eggs tasted great.

One thing worth pointing out is that you’re not supposed to use extra virgin olive oil or spray oil, as apparently these types of oil leave a residue on the non-stick.

All in all, I’m very pleased with this product and I now want the matching saucepans in the same range!

Veet Infini'Silk Pro IPL Hair Removal System with Precision Facial Attachment
Veet Infini'Silk Pro IPL Hair Removal System with Precision Facial Attachment

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 24 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used a similar product of a different brand before, so I am testing the Infinit'Silk Pro on my upper thighs, which I haven't treated with the other device before.

IPL works in a similar way as laser hair removal treatment - i.e. it's a long-term solution which will require the user to treat the areas on a regular basis, initially every two weeks and then once a month.

The device is quite light and there's no setting up required, as it's *not* a cordless device, and therefore you don't need to charge the battery. You will, however, need to use it in the vicinity of a power socket, which is not terribly convenient. However, the fact that you can just plug it in and never have to worry about running out of charge is a big plus.

I used the device at the highest setting, as I've had no averse reaction with the similar product I've already used, and I know my skil tolerates IPL very well. In terms of pain levels, the discomfort is minimal on areas like the upper thigh. I have yet to try it on my face but will update this review when I do.

The main cartridge has a filter which should detect if your skin colour isn't suited to the treatment; however, and very oddly, the precision lamp cartridge doesn't - you'd think that they would have included that feature on the attachment that you use on your face.

I found the energy level selector buttons very confusing - there are 5 levels but only 3 buttons, which you have to press multiple times to achieve levels 4 and 5, and a combination of indicators light which may or may not be steadily lit or blinking. This is explained on the manual, although it's a bit of a faff. You quickly get the hang of this after the first use but the other similar product I have used has a very simple button with 5 lights and you press it once, twice, three times and so on. It seems a bit of an illogical design in this case.

The manual is also not the best designed manual, with a lot of block text which makes it hard to find the part of the instructions you are looking for, and not enough illustrations.

You will have to replace the cartridge after a while (I'm not sure of how long in terms of months/years the cartridge lasts as the number of flashes needed for regular treatments depends on individual users) but the good news is that Veet sells replacement cartridge so you will be able to keep using the device.

All in all, I'm pretty confident that this device will do its job in reducing body hair. I will update this review in the next few weeks when I have performed multiple treatments.

IMEDEEN Hair and Nails
IMEDEEN Hair and Nails

3.0 out of 5 stars A good vitamin supplement, 24 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used this product for several months recently, then when I ran out and bought a cheaper product from the UK's leading chemists. I was happy to start taking this product again and put the other product aside.

I began to use Hair and Nails when I noticed my hair was thinning out a little. It's very hard to be sure if this kind of vitamin complex works, or if it's your imagination, and the effects of supplements need a few months to become apparent, but my hair condition did improve and it does feel a lot stronger now. It's certainly going to help as it contains Biotin, which is a B complex vitamin (B7).

I'm not sure that the capsules needed the bulking agent, i.e. silica. That has no therapeutic value so why add it? The UK's leading chemist's product comes in gel capsules, which contain no bulking agents. This is my only issue with the Imedeen product, and the reason why I'm reluctant to give it more than 3 stars, as it feels a bit misleading to sell capsules which are largely filled with sand.

Bosch Pro Energy Compact Cleaner Bsgl3126gb, Black, 100% Performance With 50% Energy Saving

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for houses with lots of stairs, 12 Sep 2014
I purchased this vacuum cleaner specifically because the reviews recommended it for use on the stairs.
I wish I'd bought it sooner, because, as much as I like my trusted old Bertie, this Bosch vacuum cleaner is really ideal for using on houses with lots of stairs. It's lightweight, it's easy to use and it left the carpets fluffly and clean.

The only minor negative point I found is that it takes some force to take the main 'pipe' apart (I needed to inspect the inside as some fluff had built up, affecting the suction). But with subsequent uses, it loosened up.

Excellent product.

The Chaperone
The Chaperone
by Laura Moriarty

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling story with a social commentary, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Chaperone (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The `Roaring 20's were an incredibly fascinating time - the era of jazz, of flappers and prohibition. This is, at least, what we've learnt from film and novels. Who can, after all, forget the decadent parties at Gatsby's house? This, and a vague awareness of a silent movie actress called Louise Brooks made me pick this book. Like most people, I'm more familiar with Brooks' striking, iconic looks than with her film work, but this isn't strictly about Louise Brooks, anyway.

I was surprised to learn that the protagonist of this novel - a lady chaperone - did actually live and accompany Brooks on trip to New York City in the summer of 1922. Louise Brooks was a promising dancer with a difficult character, and the author said in an interview that what inspired her to write the novel was exactly the idea that Brooks would have been quite a handful for her chaperone.

In any case, the relationship between the two women is only one part of the story - after Louise Brooks's ascent to stardom, the novel takes what could be seen a predictable turn, focusing on Cora's family and the rapid social and cultural changes affecting the whole country and filtering all the way down to the microcosm of Wichita, Kansas. The novel starts in 1922 but the second part then takes us through to the 1930s depression, World War II, the civil rights movement, all the way peppering the story with actual historical details - the dust storms, the first sit-ins at the Dockum Drug Store in Wichita, Cora's first encounter with machine that allows her to watch Louise Brooks films in the comfort of her own home: the humble VCR.

"The Chaperone" will be undoubtedly classified as a `women's novel' - one of those solid, Oprah-championed, feel-good books like Kathryn-Stockett's The Help. But I think it deserves more - although it is fiction, in terms of social commentary The Chaperone has more in common with Betty Smith's A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, or with the late Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes than, say, with the more ephemeral, literary feel of Amor Towles' Rules of Civility. What this novel does to perfection is show the `other' side of those glamorous years while still telling a compelling story that readers will find impossible to put down.

OZ Naturals - The BEST Eye Gel - Eye Cream For Dark Circles Puffiness and Wrinkles - This Eye Gel Treatment Addresses Every Eye Concern - 100% Natural Ingredients - Considered To Be The Most Potent & Effective Eye Gel - Eye Cream Available - ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Eye Gel - 100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED!
Offered by OZ Naturals EU

4.0 out of 5 stars A moisturising, soft, soothing gel, 8 Sep 2014
I must disclose that I was offered this product by the manufacturer in exchange for an unbiased review.

I always use a leading chemists' own brand eye cream on the skin around my eyes and on my eyelids, so I was interested to try this product as a possible alternative.

The first thing I noticed about this gel is that it has a slightly different texture from other gel products: it feels slightly smoother and softer. It has a very pleasant, cool feel when you put it on the delicate skin around the eyes and eyelids but unlike similar products, it actually feels moisturising. The main reason why I tend to prefer creams over gels is that gels often seem to dry the skin. Not this product: it feels soft and hydrating.

The gel acts as very good base for make-up and after a long day at work, my eyeshadow hasn't completely disappeared and creased - something that happens to me a lot as I have very oily skin.

As with all face creams, it's hard to say if any rejuvenating effects are visible. When it comes to reducing of puffiness and dark circles, the only effective cure is still a good night's sleep and a few glasses of water, but a product with astringent qualities such as this gel would certainly help and speed up the process.

It will probably take a few weeks of regular use to notice any changes, but after a week I can certainly say that this is a product I would buy.

I will update this review in a few weeks' time should the gel's effects become more noticeable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20