Profile for L. K. Szachnowski > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Pagan Portals - The Awen Alone: Walking the Path of the Solitary Druid
Pagan Portals - The Awen Alone: Walking the Path of the Solitary Druid
by Joanna van der Hoeven

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book aimed at those just starting on the druid path, 10 Nov 2014
The Awen Alone is aimed at those wanting to learn about druidry, but who would like to follow it as a solitary spiritual practice rather than necessarily join a grove or group - and it is a reallyexcellent book. I thoroughly recommend it. It is beautifully written and offers a superb guideline for connecting with the natural world in a spiritual way. It isn't dogmatic or preachy, just inspirational.

Country Wisdom & Folklore Christmas Advent Calendar
Country Wisdom & Folklore Christmas Advent Calendar

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 Oct 2014
Nice. Not the best advent calendar I've ever had, but OK.

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Canon
Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Lens for Canon
Offered by VC Retail

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but does tend to search for focus a ..., 6 Oct 2014
Very good, but does tend to search for focus a bit at long distances and makes a bit of a clicking noise while it is searching. Aapart from that excellent and good value for money,

Star Wars Jabba The Hutt Costume Medium
Star Wars Jabba The Hutt Costume Medium
Offered by Mega Fancy Dress

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant costume, 24 July 2014
I bought this for my husband to wear at a Star Wars murder mystery game I was running. It was the star costume of the whole event. Brilliant!

3 x 150ml Bottles of Avon Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Body Spray with Jojoba & Citronellol - The Alternative To Insect Repellent
Offered by Beauty 1st

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the bottle, 24 July 2014
Smells nice, light and easy to apply, made my skin nice and soft. I bought it because a friend recommended it as an insect repellant. I found it certainly does help keep the mozzies away, but doesn't always work 100 percent against bites. I got a few itchy bites after an evening at an open air concert, but not nearly as many as I reckon I would have got otherwise - I normally get bitten horribly when I am outside in the summer.

Pagan Portals - Blacksmith Gods: Myths, Magicians & Folklore
Pagan Portals - Blacksmith Gods: Myths, Magicians & Folklore
by Pete Jennings

5.0 out of 5 stars Folk Tales about Blacksmith Gods - and a few Goddesses, 9 July 2014
I do love good books about folklore, and Blacksmith Gods by Pete Jennings is one I particularly enjoyed. It covers legends, tales and mythology about smiths from all over the world.

The book is primarily aimed at pagans – it is in Moon Books’ Pagan Portals series – but I don’t think you have to be a pagan in order to enjoy reading this.

Anyone who likes mythological stories would enjoy it. I’ve long been fascinated by the idea that King Arthur drawing the sword from the stone was a way of describing a Bronze Age metalworker pouring molten bronze into a stone mould and then drawing a sword from it when it had cooled. Such a person would have been held in high esteem and their craft thought to be magical.

For me this book redresses a bit of an imbalance. There are loads and loads of pagan books about goddesses, but not so many about gods. Most pantheons do have blacksmith deities, and they are mostly male – for example the Greek Hephaestus, the Roman Vulcan and the Anglo Saxon Wayland Smith. There are a few goddesses of smithcraft – Brigid from Irish myth being one. Pete Jennings does give these goddesses a mention too, so don’t think the book is overly male-biased.

And despite being a book written by a pagan – Pete Jennings used to the president of the Pagan Federation - Blacksmith Gods also covers blacksmith figures in the Bible and Christian folk tales about human blacksmiths using their wit and cunning to defeat the Devil.

The book ends by discussed the smith archetype in modern fiction, including the character Smithers in the cartoon series The Simpsons, who has a first name Wayland.

Children of the Green: Raising our Kids in Pagan Traditions
Children of the Green: Raising our Kids in Pagan Traditions

5.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent book about raising children in pagan families, 18 Jun 2014
This is a book written about ways of raising kids in pagan families. Although I don't have kids myself, I know this is a tough issue for pagans. Some pagans who have children want to try to raise them as pagans or in a pagan-friendly way while others just prefer to try to keep their paganism secret until their children are old enough to understand.

This book is written by a pagan mother who has raised a family and developed lots of techniques for helping kids grow and develop as well as ways of introducing them to things such as meditation and appreciation of the cycles of nature.

It looks at the different aspects of children's needs in terms of the elements - earth being physical needs, air being their minds, fire being their activities and water being their emotions. It also considers spiritual development and how you can help children in this way too.

Children of the Green is intelligent, well researched and thought-provoking. I would recommend it to any pagan who has young kids or is thinking of starting a family.

Witchcraft Today - 60 Years On
Witchcraft Today - 60 Years On
by Trevor Greenfield

5.0 out of 5 stars A book every pagan should read, 17 Jun 2014
Witchcraft Today – 60 Years On is a really fascinating book written by witches of various different traditions. I am a Wiccan and I am familiar with the original book called Witchcraft Today – it was written by Gerald Gardner, the founder of Wicca, back in 1954 when witchcraft had only just been made legal in the UK. This book shows how witchcraft has developed since then, but it isn’t just a history book – it is full of personal accounts by witches.
I was fascinated to read about what witches get up to. While I already knew what Gardnerian Wiccans get up to, I was very interested to learn more about Alexandrian Wiccans as well as hedgewitches, traditional witches, solitary witches and even people practising Ancient Egyptian magic.
The book was developed as a community project, so includes well-known writers such as Philip Heselton and David Salisbury as well as chapters by grass-roots witches and pagans who have a lot of knowledge about their subject.
It is in two sections – the first explains the background to different paths of witchcraft, while the second has short passages by individuals about their own personal experiences. I think when people want to find out about witchcraft – or find out about different types of witchcraft – this book would be really useful because it clearly explains what those on different paths believe and do as well as the history.
I found it all very interesting. I learnt a lot and, after finishing Witchcraft Today – 60 Years On, it also made me want to read some of the other books that have influenced witchcraft in the past six decades.

Chakra Wisdom Oracle Cards: The Complete Spiritual Toolkit for Transforming Your Life
by Tori Hartman
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Five out of Five for originality, 17 Jun 2014
I collect tarot sets and divination decks and chose this as a little summer present to myself before going on holiday. I used it a lot while I was away and the friends I was with used it too. They all agreed that the cards were lovely - like the illustrations to fairy stories. But these are fairy stories with a difference, because the cards are all inspired my modern fables, completely original. They manage to get across tough and sometimes difficult messages without being scary and are intended as a tool for personal development. Several times I have drawn a card and not immediately recognised it as an issue I need to tackle, then after studying it, reading the fable and doing the meditation it has all made sense. For example, on the day after my holiday when I was back at work I drew the card "workaholic". But I have just had a holiday, I thought. Then I realised that even when I was away I was spending much too much time worrying and thinking about my work. Time to lighten up, I thought. Oh and the cards are a very reasonable price too and come in a sturdy box. The only annoying thing is that cards tend to slip under the packaging inside the box, meaning they can be a fiddle to get out. Very small criticism that though.

Crystal Healing
Crystal Healing

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice to listen to, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Crystal Healing (MP3 Download)
I like to listen to New Age music while I work. I bought this because I have had Even Wolves Dream for years and like it. This is similar and is good.

Page: 1 | 2