Profile for Shawn Grinter > Reviews

Shawn Grinter

Neato Robotics XV-25 Pet and Allergy Vacuum
Neato Robotics XV-25 Pet and Allergy Vacuum

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 15 Feb. 2013
My Neato arrived, very impressed with the robust packaging and the device seem solid.

The first weird thing is that the cable connecting the charging station actually connects inside it (i.e. you have to open it up) - but this turns out to be a benefit as you can wind the cable up inside so only the length you need protrudes.

Parked the cleaner at the charging station - immediate message "Battery Error (0008)" - WTF

- Read quick guide (again) - no error codes listed
- Booted up laptop to read the CD containing the full manual - no error codes listed
- Went to the Neato web site and reviewed the FAQ's - no error codes listed
- Googled it - no error codes listed, just other people asking the same question.

Just don't you hate it when software developers use error codes then don't tell you what you actually mean!

Anyway couldn't find out how to email Neato, and Telephone support only has US and Canadian numbers listed - anyway bit the bullet and placed an International call expecting the worse. Nope - totally wrong - I was connected with a very pleasant lady within 20 seconds who looked up the code. She advised to disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

Took a screwdriver to the box and lo and behold one of the batteries wasn't plugged in!! Did the necessary and hey presto - it was on charge.

10 minutes later it was ready, I'd placed it in the hallway with a dining room, kitchen, utility room and lounge leading off. Ran a manual clean and off it went - very impressive coverage and a fair job - managed to get 1/4 a bag full which wasn't bad when I'd manually cleaned only 2 hours earlier. It took 3 intermediate charges to complete the job so it isn't fast but who cares, I was doing something else.

Next set it to run at 6am, the idea being that when I got up the hoovering would be done - big mistake!! Now the Neatos noise is pretty good and with the bedroom door shut you can't really hear it - BUT I'd forgotten about our dogs - they went flipping mental, my bad!

Anyway now set for 10am!!

Spent Sunday morning updating the Neato software (Yes, I'm that sad) - using my iMac I dreaded the worse but it was pretty painless - well done Neato.

So far it's been about 10 days and to date it's managed to get lost twice but otherwise I'm really impressed and in fact it easily gets places I would find hard without moving furniture.

So overall I would gladly recommend this - and Yes, we have named it :-)

Samsung HT-E8200 400W Home Cinema System with 2 2.1 Channel Teardrop Speakers, Wall Mountable Soundbar and Smart Hub with Built in Wi-Fi, Compatible with 46 inch TV

1.0 out of 5 stars Fail..., 15 Feb. 2013
I bought one of these in November 2012 - it has now failed 3 times, the last time 3 hours after being returned from the Samsung repairer. They refuse to replace it and it's now going in for yet another repair.

The repair process is however pretty good - they usually collect the day after I've reported it and it takes 5 or 6 days to get it back but I'm wondering if there is some weakness in this model.