Profile for Candyflower > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Lipstick Traces - A Secret History
Lipstick Traces - A Secret History

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly reccommended to any Manics fans, 20 July 2003
Over the last year I have become a true Manics fan, and this is a must for anyone who loves the Manics. Much better than there recent greatest hits, Forever Delayed, this Double CD has some excellent B-sides that it is suprising that they didnt end up as singles. My favourites include Prologue to History, Mr Carbohydrate and a different version of Spectators of Sucicde. The second CD is also excellent with some great cover versions from Nivarana to Guns and Roses, my favourites including Bright Eyes and Rain Drops Keep Falling on my Head. I would also recommend this to anyone with a passion for music, and anyone with an interest in the Manic Street Preachers.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Jun. 2003
This really suprised me, as it was very cheap, yet is an excellent DVD player. I recommend it to anyone who wishes to buy a DVD player but is unsure about the prices......

Manic Street Preachers: Forever Delayed [DVD]
Manic Street Preachers: Forever Delayed [DVD]
Dvd ~ Manic Street Preachers

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Manics Fan... Excellent, 22 Jun. 2003
I recently bought this DVD and am now completely in love! Although maybe not as good as some people hope, it really is a must for Manics fans, and anyone who loves watching music videos, and loves Rock and Roll.... Excellent

Everything (A Book about Manic Street Preachers)
Everything (A Book about Manic Street Preachers)
by Simon Price

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read for anyone interested in music, 15 Jun. 2003
Although this book would probably appeal to Manics fans, I have to say I wasn't a fan as such when I first started reading it. I was lent the book by my friend who is a huge fan, but insisted that its much more than just a biography about a popular band of the 90s, and they were right. The book covers the bands childhood, the rise to fame, the many different styles they went through but also the fact that they were not just a band but a voice on issues important in our society. They were as much a visual band as they are audio and make you think about many different things outside the shallow world of the music industry. Full of quotes from important figures in art, literature and music, it describes the many ideas the manics have conveyed through music.It also deals with the disappearence of band member Richey, and how the others pulled through and carried on as a three piece. Even if you are not a fan I strongly recommend this book.

Ghost World [VHS] [2001]
Ghost World [VHS] [2001]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars this film is wicked!, 27 May 2003
I just love this film! Its smart, funny, insightful and most of all its true to life. Thora Birch is excellent in this film as is Steve Buscimi, along with the rest of the cast who understand the irony of being young in a world so completely messed up. Your must see this film, especially if your young, bleak and full of angst. Its a crime not to!

Wasted
Wasted
by Marya Hornbacher

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, poignant and melancholic read, 25 May 2003
This review is from: Wasted (Paperback)
When I began reading this book I thought it was quiet slow and hard to get into. But after the first chapter I was instantly hooked and could not put it down. Just as Mayra says she was addicted to starvation, I became addicted to her story of pain. Although I have never suffered from an eating disorder as severe as her, I understood her fear of eating and a desire to want to waste away. But her book is about more than an eating disorder, its about afeeling of disconnection with the rest of the world, the fakeness of everyday life and wanting to escape. I recommend this book to anyone.

More, Now, Again
More, Now, Again
by Elizabeth Wurtzel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 3 Nov. 2002
This review is from: More, Now, Again (Paperback)
I love this book. I have read it 3 times already, and will read it again. I wondered what happened to Elizabeth Wurtzel after Prozac Nation, and how she continued her inner struggle with herself.
Well, this is it! Writing in the same style as Prozac Nation, but matured in her descriptions and anaylsis of her own personality, More, Now, Again explores the world of addiction from one person's point of view, and her continued struggle for self exceptence.
The book makes you feel as if you are Elizabeth's closest friend as she tells you personal details of her life, but you also feel removed from her too, as though you are too far away to help like a real friend would.
This book is an excellent piece of prose and I reccomend it to anyone. Even my best friend, who hates reading, has become inseparable from it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2015 8:59 PM BST