Profile for DigitalAuthor > Reviews

Content by DigitalAuthor

DigitalAuthor "Chris" (Manchester UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Brushed Steel T Bar Kitchen Door Handles 96mm hole centres
Brushed Steel T Bar Kitchen Door Handles 96mm hole centres
Offered by Abrafix

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent handles at bargain price, 24 Feb. 2016
I shopped around for handles for my kitchen cabinets and selected these. I was not disappointed. Good quality, nice finish. Fast delivery. And very good value.

The handles are available in different lengths so I used longer ones on drawers, and short ones for the cabinets. They are supplied with two different lengths of bolts so will suit just about any type of door of drawer front.

An extra benefit of this style of handle is that you can hang towels or over gloves on the end of a handle.

The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage: The (Mostly) True Story of the First Computer
by Sydney Padua

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, nicely produced, 24 Feb. 2016
The drawings are lovely, full of humour. And the footnotes add much interesting (to a computer geek like me) background and surrounding information. I think this needs to be read as the beautifully produced hardback printed book -- not on a tiny screen.

Leyton Lighting Warm white LED linkable strip light (250mm, 3w, low energy)
Leyton Lighting Warm white LED linkable strip light (250mm, 3w, low energy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but a bit expensive, 24 Feb. 2016
I bought 4 of these to use under kitchen cabinets and they are excellent. Small, neat, and give plenty of light. They connect to 240v mains, and each light has an On/Off switch. Being LED they do not get very warm and use little electricity. I am very happy with the product, and friends who have seen them have decided to get some for their kitchens.

The only other thing to mention is that for around a quarter of the price I have since bought some LED kitchen lights from IKEA that also work well. These have a separate transformer and no On/Off switch so those might be disadvantages to some people. However if I'd seen these first I probably would have bought the IKEA lights instead (as I hate spending money).

Cermalon 28 cm Large 100 Percent Non-Stick Ceramic Frying Pan with Glass Lid
Cermalon 28 cm Large 100 Percent Non-Stick Ceramic Frying Pan with Glass Lid

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very non-stick, but looks great, 24 Feb. 2016
I followed the instructions carefully; wiped pan over with oil, and used a low heat. Cooked sausage and egg without any extra oil. Both stuck securely to the bottom of the pan. Had to soak it and scrape (with plastic pad) to get it clean. Not what I'd call non-stick. I was using on a gas hob.

But the pan looks great and it is good value with the lid so I'm keeping it, and just using it to cook things with lots of liquid or use lots of oil. And it has been fine for that. (And I bought a similar looking pan -- white ceramic interior -- without lid and at a higher price, from supermarket and that IS non-stick).

Conclusion: this is a cheap light-weight good looking pan, but I didn't find the non-stick coating to work very well.

Deo-Go Deodorant & Antiperspirant Stain Remover - 300ml
Deo-Go Deodorant & Antiperspirant Stain Remover - 300ml
Offered by MD Technical Solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 24 Feb. 2016
Used this on some old and newish t-shirts, following the instructions carefully. All the shirts are greatly improved but not one of them is completely clean -- hence 4 stars only. However I am impressed enough to buy some more of this product as it is the only thing I've found to make any impression at all on stubborn sweat and anti-perspirant stains. Maybe after a couple of treatments the stains will vanish completely.

This size bottle was just enough to treat 12 t-shirts once. So it is probably more economical to buy the larger size.

The product smelled quite strongly of chlorine so I took care not to let the overspray hit anything that might be damaged. I put each shirt at the bottom of a plastic bucket and sprayed it there.

I would recommend this product.

LEPOWER® S3 Motion Sensor Led Solar Lights / Wall Lights / Night Light Outdoor / Concentrated and Powerful LED Solar Lights / Security Lights [3rd Generation]
Offered by Prodigy3

3.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after a few days (Excellent until then...), 13 Jan. 2016
After reading all the reviews I bought this light, installed it and was very pleased with the performance. Even on dull days it charged the battery enough to at least work for the early part of the evening (I never did stay up all night to see how long it lasted).
But after about a week it started behaving erratically; coming on bright and staying on. Or refusing to come on at all. I ignored it for another week. By then it was flashing bright and then off, each evening all the time until the battery went flat. So I have returned it for refund (and bought another similar light from Amazon).

Conclusion: From checking what many other people have said about this (and similar lights -- probably all made in the same factory; they look identical) I think they are a great product and very good value for money. However quality control seems terrible so a worrying percentage of the lights either do not work on arrival or become faulty after a few days. The large number of reviews from people who have had the units for months without trouble suggests that if you get a well-made one, it will be fine. Amazon gives you 30 days to return the unit. I would still recommend this product..... but keep the box in case you get a bad one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2016 7:00 AM GMT

A4 Guillotine Paper Card Cutting Machine Cutter Craft
A4 Guillotine Paper Card Cutting Machine Cutter Craft
Offered by MokenEye-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a rotary trimmer, 6 Jan. 2016
The thing most people want to know is how many sheets of paper will it cut. The answer (I've just tried it), 10 sheets 80gsm paper perfectly. 20 sheets but leaving a bit of a rough edge.

I've used rotary trimmers for years, various brands. This guillotine is much better. It is cheap, the guide is plastic and will bend if you press on it. And (like all tools) there is a technique to getting the best results. Push the cutting arm slightly towards the body of the machine as you bring it down. And line up the cut by eye (treat the plastic guide as just a guide rather than a precision instrument).

Perfect for trimming greeting cards, business cards, and of course paper.

One plus point is that the "blade" is not sharp like a knife; it is just a flat edge of steel. Trap your finger in there and you likely will only get a bruise rather than a cut (I haven't tried this...).

Highly recommended, and at this price it is a bargain.

Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words
Thing Explainer: Complicated Stuff in Simple Words
by Randall Munroe

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but disappointing., 6 Jan. 2016
I've been a fan of XKCD from the start and bought Randall Munroe's other books. I waited eagerly for this to be published, but was immediately infuriated and disappointed as I looked through it. By using those "simple" words to describe things, he actually makes it much more difficult to understand. The periodic table of elements has been mentioned by others as being pointless. In fact it works only as an in-joke for people with quite a high degree of chemistry knowledge (I'm a physicist, so did not "get" the jokes about the element names).

But it is the inconsistency that annoys. On one page he describes a sky boat; without a picture I don't know if this is explaining an aeroplane, helicopter, airship, hot air balloon, or whatever. Then on another page, to explain a different "thing" he says something like "similar to an airplane".

Other reviewers have said this is a lighthearted book; not to be taken seriously. I disagree. Like the XKCD cartoons, it is funny, inciteful, and informative. I've learned how elevators and dishwashers work, for a start.

But it is hard work in many places. I have to mentally translate the "simple" words (eg. sky boat) into a "common" word (eg. airplane) before it makes sense. I want to get a pencil and go through the book writing a familiar commonplace word in the margin next to each laborious tortured "simple" word. If Randall had done this I'd have given the book 5 stars (the illustrations are wonderful).

Happy Valley [DVD] [2014]
Happy Valley [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Sarah Lancashire

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping -- had to watch it from beginning to end, 7 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Happy Valley [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I missed this on TV but as usual Amazon sells the Box Set for a small price. Friends told me I had to watch it, and that (like Last Tango in Halifax) it was filmed local to me so I'd recognise many of the places. I loved it.

It seemed to me like a mini version of Breaking Bad, set near Halifax, Yorkshire. Great writing, performers, story, scenery.
Thanks to my friends for telling me about it. Now I am doing the same to you -- if you haven't yet watched it, I recommend it.

Shaun The Sheep - The Movie [DVD] [2015]
Shaun The Sheep - The Movie [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Richard Starzak

3.0 out of 5 stars This Shaun fan was disappointed, 7 Jun. 2015
I really like Shaun The Sheep, and was looking forward to The Movie. But although it had some great moments, I thought it not as good as the many of the 15 minute TV episodes; some parts I actually found boring.

We all like the idea of sheep in a farm field playing tricks on the sheepdog and the farmer. And can accept that one of the sheep -- Shaun -- is more intelligent and can devise schemes and organise the flock to create mischief or rescue the dog or the farmer. But basically the performers (I can't think of them as bits of plasticine -- they are "alive" and real to me) stick to their roles. The sheep remain sheep on a farm, mostly on 4 legs, and saying "baa".

In The Movie the sheep are in the city, and without any help from Shaun are able to dress in human clothes, walk on two legs all the time and pass themselves off as human well enough to fool people with casual conversations, and even in one case to kiss someone on the lips without anyone suspecting. Shaun put on a pair of gloves over his hooves, and we then saw close ups of him manipulating coins with his "hand". I know that in the TV episodes this sort of thing was often done by Shaun, but it was mostly implied; out of sight; in the distance. For me closeups broke the spell.

I will watch it again. There are some wonderful Aardman moments, clever touches, and terrific backgrounds. But having the movie based on the flock impersonating humans didn't work for me. It was too much like a Disney "talking animals" children's movie. Thank goodness the flock got back to the farm in the end. I hope they stay there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6