ARRAY(0xa845ea08)

Profile for Movie Fan from Portugal > Reviews

Content by Movie Fan from...

Movie Fan from Portugal

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Nun's Story [DVD] [1959]
The Nun's Story [DVD] [1959]
Dvd ~ Audrey Hepburn
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A film I keep learning from, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Nun's Story [DVD] [1959] (DVD)
I first watched this film in my native Mozambique in 1969. It was the first time I saw Audrey Hepburn and perhaps because I had just come into puberty I fell in love with her and I guess I am still in love with her and in particular with nun she portrays in this film.

I have seldom seen such purity and honesty in acting. Being a Catholic, I have had the privilege to meet many nuns and priests and to discuss many things, religious and otherwise, with them, and I find this film peopled with absolutely credible characters. Inevitably, however lofty your purpose might be in life a nun or a priest is still a human being and therefore open to temptation and sin.

This film manages to convey all that with flowing subtlety while suggesting the underlying tensions of the surrounding world - be it in Africa or in Europe - and the impact they have on the pursuit of faith.

Audrey was never better and the same has to be said of Peter Finch and Mildred Dunnock. But ultimately the highest accolade of all has to go to Fred Zinnemann for an impeccable direction and for the intelligent treatment of a subject matter that could have easily slipped out of control.

It was a film well ahead of its time when it came out in 1958, it remains timeless today, and it carries that greatest lesson of all, regardless of your faith: To thyself be true.

The King's Speech [DVD]
The King's Speech [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Firth
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb 1st half, much too solemn in the second, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: The King's Speech [DVD] (DVD)
An interesting historic subject, a highly competent cast, and the traditional quality of British films all suggested that this would be a top of the draw work -- and that perception gained further substance with all the nominations and awards the film has collected.

The films begins splendidly, with some terrific photography and superlative acting by Colin Firth in particular, later exceptionally well assisted by Geoffrey Rush. The first half is film-making of the highest order. The turning point comes with the king to be and his wife calling at Rush's humble abode and suddenly everything turns much too solemn, and sadly it stays that way to the end, with Firth's acting becoming more and more repetitive in its mannerisms thereby allowing Rush to emerge as the truly outstanding performance in the film.

As a foreigner, I have to say that I found it a piece of propaganda for the Royal House of Windsor, complete with more than subtle condemnation of the king that exchanged the throne for a divorced American socialite. It is clear that Edward was not fit to run the country but the bit about him putting down his brother's stutter struck me as a malicious portrayal of a man widely viewed as genuinely kind and feeble.

Finally, the kingly stutter. With the country caught up in a world war, that stutter overshadows all the loss of life, property, etc.

Sorry, I do not mean to be offensive but in truth I did not like the film that much even if I readily concede that it was not a bad effort and in its first half in particular it came close to being a masterpiece.

Strictly Ballroom [Collector's Edition] [DVD] [1992]
Strictly Ballroom [Collector's Edition] [DVD] [1992]
Dvd ~ Paul Mercurio
Offered by WorldCinema
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars So what?, 7 Mar 2011
I read Sir Alec Guinness' autobiography recently and he said he had liked this movie. Guinness being one of my all time favourite actors I decided to buy this movie - and was really disappointed. Print is poor, acting so so at best, story line predictable... oh well, thankfully the price was reasonable.

Get Smart [DVD] [2008]
Get Smart [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Steve Carell
Price: 2.98

1.0 out of 5 stars For once TV series was far better than the movie, 7 Mar 2011
This review is from: Get Smart [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Here is a movie that tries to be too clever by half but turns out to be stilted, poorly directed, lacking the verve and stinging dialogue of the TV series and one that is not too convincingly acted, either. Worst of all, it is hopelessly out of tune with the Cold War years and the mindset of the time.

Do not bother with this movie, the TV series of the 1960's is the real McCoy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2012 8:10 PM BST

Our Man In London/Lisbon At Twilight Highlights
Our Man In London/Lisbon At Twilight Highlights
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 8.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixture of good and not that good, 7 Mar 2011
Being Portuguese, I was taken aback by the very poor rendition of such perennials as BARCO NEGRO, APRIL IN PORTUGAL, and UMA CASA PORTUGUESA. To a foreign ear it might be great percussion, to me it was badly out of tune.

On the redeeming side, the OUR MAN IN LONDON section had some very good renditions of good old tunes like BEAUTIFUL DREAMER, MOON RIVER, STARLIGHT, and others.

I award this CD three stars because the sound is a bit muffled here and there and, as pointed out above, the guitar in the LISBON AT TWILIGHT section is poor and there is an inappropriately pompous, vaguely Spanish, orchestral accompaniment of the Portuguese tunes. To anyone minimally interested in Iberia, there is nothing less Portuguese than anything Spanish and vice versa.

The Very Best Of Julie London
The Very Best Of Julie London
Price: 8.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely background music, 3 Mar 2011
A beautiful woman with a voice to match, one of the most melodic yet sultry voices I have had the privilege to listen to. All the songs are great, very easy on the ear. This is the first CD I have ever bought of Julie London and I have to admit I'm grateful to the other reviewers or I would never even have heard of her, let alone heard her.

CD quality is superb - very clear, down to the instrumental accompaniment.

Congratulations to the recording company, a job extremely well done that fully deserves 5 stars!

The Singles Collection
The Singles Collection
Price: 7.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Not much to add to other reviews, 19 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Singles Collection (Audio CD)
Like most of the other reviewers, I think this is a very fine CD.

Above all Connie Francis has a great melodious voice. She is no diva but her notes are delivered easily, clearly and harmoniously. I wish modern singers relied as much as Connie does on her own voice and less on accompaniment.

Many of these songs are already from a time I do not belong to but Connie's voice makes it worthwhile listening. I am particularly fond of the cut, "Senza Fine" but there are many other songs that stay with you.

The price was quite inviting so I bought it -- and I am pleased I did!

A Matter Of Life And Death/Colonel Blimp/I Know Where I'm Going [DVD]
A Matter Of Life And Death/Colonel Blimp/I Know Where I'm Going [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Niven
Price: 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boxset from the best British film period, 8 Feb 2011
Excellent little set. A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH is a great film but of the three the one I liked least. Granted, it has fabulous moments such as the time warp, the stairway to heaven, the operation with David Niven's eyelid closing, excellent photography, a very clever screenplay, superb acting by all, and fantastic direction. The downside to me was Americans and Brits battling it out in heaven. Given that I am neither Brit nor American, I found it a long and uninvolving tirade that sadly deprived the film of the universality it had had up to that point. I am sure if you're American or Brit you'll feel differently, though, so I fully accept that this is just my viewpoint.

I KNOW WHERE I AM GOING is a wonderfully courageous film about woman's emancipation and the sheer difficulties of existence, love, and adaptation to a new place. Unsurpassed photographic quality, sublime direction, and acting of the highest standard make this a must see even if it has its abrupt moments here and there.

COLONEL BLIMP is my favorite amongst these films, and amongst all of Michael Powell's films second only to BLACK NARCISUS. It is a beautifully photographed film with a wonderful central performance by Roger Livesey with a lovely Deborah Kerr at his side at various points in his life, and an absolutely must-see performance by Anton Walbrook. The scene of the sword fight with the snow falling outside is one of those I shall never forget...

All told, a great product at a fantastic price. Real value for money.

Classic Dracula Collection [DVD]
Classic Dracula Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bela Lugosi
Offered by Ocelotbooks
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars If I could I'd give it 3.5 stars, 8 Feb 2011
One star for the 1931 version of Dracula, with Lugosi the definitive count; one for novelty of including the Spanish version; and one for the other two Dracula films and the overall quality of the copies. Half a star for the extras. I dock the rest because apart from the 1931 Dracula the others are all rather feeble efforts. The Spanish version of 1931 manages to be 32 minutes longer than the Lugosi effort and it loses its way in the midst of needless talk.

Ultimate Eurovision Party
Ultimate Eurovision Party
Price: 8.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing some crucial eurovision songs, 3 Feb 2011
Where's Non Ho l'Eta by Gigliola Cinquetti, the winner of the original eurovision contest and perhaps the best song ever at eurovision contests?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8