Profile for Mrs. Emma V. Weaver > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Emma V. W...

Mrs. Emma V. Weaver (Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Aiming For The Sun
Aiming For The Sun
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars One to watch, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Aiming For The Sun (MP3 Download)
I have been following Ryan's career since he played at my friend's wedding (being brother of the groom - one of my best buds since primary school!). He is an incredibly talented individual with a flair for the percussive guitar technique responsible for flinging several recent artists into the stratosphere. Ryan's songwriting and accomplished musical skill makes for easy listening with heart; these are songs with depth and optimism. Enjoy!

With Spring Comes The Fall (Living With the Dead Book 1)
With Spring Comes The Fall (Living With the Dead Book 1)
Price: 2.05

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 23 Mar 2012
I was fortunate enough to download these while they were free a little while back but in honesty I would recommend them to anyone who is a fan of the genre or interested in creative approaches to writing. The blog style makes for a very "up to the minute" story.

Some of the issues that it touches upon go much wider than a "zombie" story and it makes you wonder where you would stand in some kind of post-apocalyptic world particularly as people fight to survive and others lose all sense of morality.

An interesting and engaging read.

The Slap
The Slap
by Christos Tsiolkas
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as awful as other reviews suggest, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Slap (Paperback)
OK, I think it is fair to say that some of the previous comments about this book are true. It can be quite crude in places and if you don't like the C word it may not be the best thing to read. I did see the ABC programme before reading the book but I did really enjoy the show. The programme was an accurate enough reflection of the book so you know what to expect. The story itself is an interesting one and the technique of telling the story from lots of perspectives is engaging and gives interesting viewpoints, demonstrating that the central issue itself of "the slap" is still as contentious as it's ever been.

TeckNet@ NEW Kindle Genuine Leather Multi-Angle Folio Case/Cover With Extra Strong Adjustable Stand For for NEW Amazon Kindle 4 / 6 inch / 2011 generation - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 6 Jan 2012
I saw the others in this range and the reviews convinced me. I am happy with this purchase. The smell of synthetic leather is a little strong and I am hoping that it will mellow with age(!) but other than that it is a really good case. It comes with a rear protector as the back of the new kindle is easily scratched, it is a very good fit so there is not danger of it falling out and there are cut outs in the right places to allow good access to the buttons. Overall a good item.

"Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi and Rebel XT - 58mm High Resolution 3-piece Filter Set (UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer) - (Not Canon Brand)"
Offered by Five Star
Price: 10.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 9 Aug 2011
I was a little surprised to read some of the negative reviews for this item. I received mine today and would definitely agree with the fact that this is an excellent starter kit for those with a Canon EOS 58mm Digital SLR. I personally own a Canon 400d, which I have had for ages and not done much with. These filters fit great and do their job. The CPL filter is a must for any digital photographer, particularly for landscapes. Overall, really good for the price.

The Lake District (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides)
The Lake District (Lonely Planet Country & Regional Guides)
by Oliver Berry

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 26 May 2011
As with all Lonely Planet guides, there is a layout and information expectation. My husband and I took this with us on honeymoon and found we were able to use it quite well to plan our days. Maybe at times the maps lacked some detail and some of the places were more difficult to find than was implied, but it was useful on the whole.

Analyze This/Analyze That [DVD] [2006]
Analyze This/Analyze That [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Robert De Niro
Offered by Discs4all
Price: 4.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps not what I expected, 26 May 2011
I bought this to be part of my Psychology department teaching resources. Obviously I wouldn't want to use the whole of it in a lesson but I thought it might provide some accurate glimpses of therapy. Unfortunately it is far too pop-psych and the plot itself is a little overused. The best thing in it is probably De Niro and Crystal's exchange about Freud.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2013 4:16 PM BST

The Psychology of Language
The Psychology of Language
by Paul Whitney
Price: 50.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 26 May 2011
In 2003 this was one of my undergraduate Psychology textbooks. Now I am a teacher of A Level psychology, it is a great reference text for this fascinating field of research. Back in 2003 I found it fundamental in preparing for my exams as I had seemingly learnt nothing from my lecturer who was not devoid of language, but certainly personality. In the two days prior to the exam I managed to read the majority of the textbook as revision and pass with flying colours. This is certainly a testament to the book's clarity!

Ben Sherman Mens Chalice Long Sleeve 1/4 Zip Chunky Knit Top Haze
Ben Sherman Mens Chalice Long Sleeve 1/4 Zip Chunky Knit Top Haze

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable., 26 May 2011
I bought this for my husband for Christmas 2010 and he loves it. It is very comfortable warm and smart. The ribbed effect on the shoulders is a nice touch which gives the jumper shape. It is devoid of any big logos, which is also a plus. The material feels pretty good although perhaps has a slight synthetic element to it?

Kanzi P: The Ape at the Brink of the Human Mind
Kanzi P: The Ape at the Brink of the Human Mind
by Sue Savage-Rumbaugh
Price: 13.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight, 26 May 2011
Savage-Rumbaugh's work is fairly well known and is also fairly controversial. In a sense the idea that you might be able to provide great apes with the rudiments of language is an interesting challenge, but it also raises the question - what's the point?

Kanzi is able to use a device known as the Lexigram board, used to represent language in its arbitrary nature. Kanzi was not trained to use the board but learnt to do so through observing his mother, replicating the processes used by children learning language.

This book is almost Savage-Rumbaugh's autobiography and Kanzi's biography rolled into one. I am always slightly dubious about the scientific nature of the work as I feel that it cannot be possible to work so closely with these amazing animals and not see things that you want to see.

The book is best for someone interested in the work, or even interested in the nature of conciousness in the animal kingdom.

Page: 1 | 2