Profile for D. R. Fry > Reviews

Content by D. R. Fry

D. R. Fry (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Pocket 1:25000 or 1:50000 Map Romer Scale Grid Reference Tool
Pocket 1:25000 or 1:50000 Map Romer Scale Grid Reference Tool
Offered by shavenrapsberry

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, Simple and Effective, 22 Aug 2014
I bought this to sharpen up the settings I was entering into my gps. It's very simple and does just what it's supposed to.

400 Watts Panel Convection Bathroom Heater Wall Mounted
400 Watts Panel Convection Bathroom Heater Wall Mounted
Offered by Sales Direct Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Effective, 22 Aug 2014
Bought this for cloakroom/WC which has a high ceiling and gets quite cold as it faces the back door. Last night was chilly for end August and although I hadn't been sure 400W would be enough the radiator produced a surprising amount of heat, quickly getting the room so warm I had to turn the setting down. I'm sure it'll be more than adequate come the really cold weather.

Dartmoor Adventure Atlas (A-Z Adventure Atlas)
Dartmoor Adventure Atlas (A-Z Adventure Atlas)
by Geographers' A-Z Map Company

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Idea., 7 July 2014
This is so much easier than having to unfold and fold up the standard OS map. especially on Dartmoor in the wind! Would have made my walking so much easier had I discovered these before. I'm going to look for others in the series.

Rockwood Storage Box
Rockwood Storage Box
Offered by Garden Store Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Not pretty but efficient., 7 July 2014
This box is bigger than I really needed but it was the only one I could find which had no adverse customer reviews. I agree with them. It arrive promptly, went together easily, has loads of room inside, is sturdy and seems weatherproof. It's not pretty but I suppose one can't have everything, so I'm happy with it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it..

Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Garmin eTrex 20 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit

4.0 out of 5 stars Thinking About GPS But Put Off By Some Reviews? Read This, 22 Jun 2014
Conflicting customer reviews made me put off buying a gps unit as I am not good with technology. However after getting lost on Dartmoor I bit the bullet and bought this one. I can't claim to have mastered more than a fraction of what it can do and my scoring is more about potential than actual use to date. However at it's most basic level the eTrex shows the grid reference of one's position so it's easy to find the location on a map. Also it automatically records a trail and has a retrace feature which will guide you back from whence you came. I have found it simple to walk a route by entering the grid reference of the first point I want to go to in the "where to" section and following the indicated direction, then entering the next point and so on. By marking these "waypoints" you can record the whole route for future use. It is possible to preplan routes on a computer or download them from the internet and transfer them to the device but I haven't got that far. You don't actually need to buy additional maps (they're expensive) - at least not at first - as the screen will show a direction arrow and a line travelled but I think the detailed map improves the experience.

Walk Dartmoor
Walk Dartmoor
by Kate Hobbs
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars My Main Guide, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Walk Dartmoor (Spiral-bound)
This has become my main walking guide to Dartmoor. I haven't taken to GPS as recommended in the guide - reading the reviews of those who've tried them put me off. I manage perfectly well with this guide, a good map and compass. The guide gives bearings and useful indications of the time between "waypoints" so navigation presents few problems even over featureless terrain.

Short Walks Dartmoor: Twenty splendid short country walks in Dartmoor National Park
by Crimson Publishing

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful Guide for when Time Or Weather Restrict Activity, 1 May 2014
I wanted an easily available guide for when time is short or when the weather looks like closing in. This fills the bill. I'm very happy with it.

Really Short Walks North Dartmoor
Really Short Walks North Dartmoor
by Paul Frederick White

4.0 out of 5 stars For All The Family, 1 May 2014
I bought this in anticipation of a visit by my large extended family with ages ranging from nearly 80 to barely 2. In the week we spent together I found this selection of short walks really useful. As well as providing new walks it showed easy options to create circular routes around sites with which I was already familiar.

De'Longhi Rapido G011230RTW Oil Filled Radiator, 3 Kilowatt
De'Longhi Rapido G011230RTW Oil Filled Radiator, 3 Kilowatt

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 29 Dec 2013
I bought this as the available means of heating in a cottage I use was inadequate for really cold weather and the fan heater I had really wasn't good enough. The De Longhi warmed the main room quickly and the thermostat kept it at a comfortable temperature. The wheels meant I could easily take it to other rooms.
It was expensive compared to less powerful heaters but worth it.

Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2014
Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2014
by Hugh Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Pocket Guide to Wine, 18 Nov 2013
This is THE pocket wine guide. All the most important wine producing countries are covered with vintage tables going back a decade. The individual country entries include more detail, including reports on recent vintages for the more well known regions and entries for individual producers etc. The French entry is the most comprehensive as might be expected, with Bordeaux having it's own section.

There are also sections looking back at the last couple of years and others with tips on food and wine matches.

I usually buy it every other year as the information remains current. I've bought or been given most of the better known alternatives but always come back to Hugh Johnson.

Page: 1 | 2