Profile for C. Scarr > Reviews

Content by C. Scarr

C. Scarr "Kobal" (Hull, UK)

Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 - UK Layout
Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 - UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Review after 3 years, 16 Jan. 2013
I have had one of these keyboards for almost 3 years. In that time I completed my final year at university (including a dissertation/software project of nearly 50k words including code) and some heavy gaming use over the years. I am finally looking to replace it, hence this review.

Despite being almost entirely plastic, the keyboard is solid and sturdy. The board did survive a rather nasty fight with a bottle of Old Tom ale some six months back with no obvious after effects. I dismantled the board, washed what I could, and dried it. (For what it's worth, this process was fairly painless!)

I find it incredibly comfortable to use, and the built in wrist rest is (while visibly a bit worn) still intact and soft. It does tend to attract dust and oils, but can be wiped down easily with a damp cloth. I admit that I have never really used the scroll slider so cannot comment on it's usefulness.

The WASD keys and (for some reason N and M keys) are polished to a shine with use, and the letters are somewhat illegible, but they still respond like new. They are mostly quiet to use too. The worst thing about the board is the space bar, which makes a loud "thinkthunk" every time it is depressed, but it does work wherever you hit it. I have a tendency to use the heel of my hand on one corner of the spacebar, and it still registers every time. This annoyed me for several weeks upon buying the board originally, but I don't notice it any more.

It's in no sense a gaming board this, but I have not found any instances of ghosting. The media keys are basic, but are usable out of the box with Win 7 x64.

My reasons for upgrading are that the board is getting a bit long in the tooth now, and is rather large for my desk. I am hoping to get a gaming board with some back lighting and a smaller profile. Having used this for so many untroubled years I am seriously considering the Sidewinder X4. This old board will be stored away as a useful spare.

For £30, this was a bargain and was exactly what I wanted at the time. I am sure I could use it for another 3 years with no problems, and have no hesitation in recommending this product.

Galactic North (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Galactic North (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Alastair Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars Great intro, fantastic supplement, 27 Oct. 2006
Put simply, i loved this book!

I love short stories, and these tied into Reynolds imagined history from Revelation Space etc perfectly, adding depth to the society and characters. From the evil twist of A Spy on Europa, to the mind bending scale of Galactic North, I was hooked into each story within a page, and devoured the whole book in a day.

I would say that this is both a great introduction to Reynolds work, or an essential supplement to the "Revelation Space" universe perfect for any long term fans. And as an incentive to fans of Absolution Gap, it even provides an explanation for the greenfly.

Heartily recommended!

iAudio M3 Colour Sound MP3 Player with Cradle 40GB
iAudio M3 Colour Sound MP3 Player with Cradle 40GB

3.0 out of 5 stars Discontinued it would seem..., 6 Jun. 2005
HAve had this player on order from a different site. I have been assured that this player has been discontinued as the iAudio x5 has now been released (tho we will have to wait for a little while for the 30gb and long play versions to be released in the UK) Shame, this was in my opinion one of the best players on the market.

Century Rain (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
Century Rain (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Alastair Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, but not Reynolds best, 3 Jun. 2005
A supremely imaginative storyline, as ever, from Alistair Reynolds! The future "history" of the human race (if u get me) is clever, and intriguing, and just plausible enough to make you think.. However, not Reynolds best. Being a huge fan of his previous books, eagerly anticipating each new release, i found myself a little disappointed with the story. Gone were the beautiful, tantalising imagery of alien cultures, the terrifying killing machines (well mostly) and most of the hard scientific vein that underpins them. The twisted psyche of a post-apocolypse human society is portrayed well, and the characters are endearing, if not as well developed as Clavain, Volyova or Ana in the previous books. Overall, an entertaining, fast moving book, but not as gritty as the previous offerings, and the romantic sub plot (which seemed a lil implausible to my mind) may put off some people. Recommended, though not for everybody. Would be a good introduction to the author i think :)