Profile for Keiblob > Reviews

A Little Taste of France
A Little Taste of France
by Murdoch Books

5.0 out of 5 stars The only French cookbook you need, 9 July 2014
This is my favourite cookbook. I don't think I will ever need another resource on French cooking!

This has all the classic French dishes plus the 'fundamental' recipes for how to make frangipane, creme patisserie, sweet pastry, mayonnaise etc. Even the more complicated dishes tend to have ingredients that are relatively easy to get hold of.

There is much more than just the recipes in this book, with double-page features and a useful glossary. I wholly recommend this cookbook. Such a lot is backed into this lovely little book, with lovely images too!

Vegetarian Cooking
Vegetarian Cooking
by Emma Summer
Price: 14.38

4.0 out of 5 stars A reliably good cookbook, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Vegetarian Cooking (Hardcover)
I got this cookbook a gift and have tried a number of the dishes and all have been excellent, a couple have now become household favourites! Clear instructions, lovely images and the ingredients - even in the more unusual dishes - are generally easy to get hold of.

I would recommend this cookbook also for non-vegetarians looking to broaden their repertoire of tasty dishes.

Wisdom Panel Insights Dog DNA Test
Wisdom Panel Insights Dog DNA Test
Offered by Mars Veterinary
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared for a surprise, 14 Jan 2014
This is a great way to get to the bottom of what on earth makes up your mutt. One word of caution: if there are a lot of cross-breeds in your dog, it might not be as accurate. If there are pure-breeds in the mix somewhere, your results appear to be a lot clearer.

I was convinced that my lurcher-type was a Greyhound x GSD but the results came pack as 3/4 pure Greyhound and 1/4 Boxer X. So out of his great-grandparents, 6 were greyhounds, 1 was boxer and 1 was a mongrel. This was not at all what I was expecting but it makes a lot of sense. He has very round eyes like a boxer and although a short coat, it's much denser than a greyhound's.

I would recommend this easy-to-use DNA test, however it's worth going in with an open mind as the results may not be what you expect!

Mikelangelo and the Black Sea Gentlemen
Mikelangelo and the Black Sea Gentlemen

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing's as good as seeing them live... but this comes close, 7 July 2010
After taking Edinburgh Festival by storm a few years ago, Mikelangelo and his Black Sea Gentlemen have continued to wow audiences. A fantastic melange of theatre and music, dark and delirious, this recorded version very nearly captures them well recorded as they are live.

Their 'hit' Formidable Marinade appears on more than one of their albums and are worth buying even for that song alone! See them live if you can, definitely buy this album.

Oscar and Lucinda
Oscar and Lucinda
by Peter Carey

5.0 out of 5 stars Absurd and Delightful, 7 Mar 2005
This review is from: Oscar and Lucinda (Paperback)
I can understand why people may give up on this book but alas! Do continue, for the time you devote will pay off spectacularly.
It took me a few attempts to finish reading this novel; Carey's intensly descriptive attention to detail takes some getting used to. However, by the time I had really 'got into it' my personal dedication to the characters had become great and I became engrossed by the two protagonists: Oscar and Lucinda.
The short and neatly contained chapters act almost as stories in themselves and within these small bursts of narrative subtly emerges an outline of the harsh reality of a nation in its infancy. Like the English in an unsympathetic Australian climate we see two peculiars, a square peg and an odd bod, raging and scurrying through the expectations of society.
Nothing prepered me for the impact this book had on me and its electrifying ending shook me to the core. The story and its protagonists are absurd and obscure, intense and strangely romantic but moreover; utterly delightful.