Profile for Rayj > Reviews

Jews, God, and History
by Max Isaac Dimont
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly less balanced than it should be!, 20 Mar. 2014
I bought this mistakenly thinking that it would be a detailed and balanced assessment of the contribution that Jews have brought to world history. At one level it works - there are many genuine nuggets of real interest and insight to be unearthed between its pages. Unfortunately there is more than a little dross and a far from subtle bias with more than a few incredulous liberties taken with real history to try to support claims that just do not work. Overall a bit of a disappointment - the three stars are for the nugggets alone.

The Millennium Trilogy
The Millennium Trilogy
by Stieg Larsson

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than the films, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Millennium Trilogy (Hardcover)
I read a lot of books and there are very few fiction titles that I would read more than once. This trilogy is one of the few exceptions. I had already read all the books before I ordered this set and what a bargain - beautifully presented and incredible value. But what about the books themselves. If you've only seen the first film then you owe it to yourself to buy all three volumes - the story is much more expansive, compelling and utterly atmospheric in a way that David Fincher's version sadly misses (even the original Scandinavian versions are better at creating a more believable central character (Lisbeth). If you like a truly compelling read with class built-in - believe the hype and buy these books.

With Open Heart
With Open Heart
by Michel Quoist

4.0 out of 5 stars Take time to stop and think as you read, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: With Open Heart (Paperback)
I came across this book almost by accident having been blessed for 40 years by his Prayers of Life. This is a very different volume. It reads like a cross between a journal and a 'thought for the day'. Some of the entries are rather hit and miss if I'm honest and not all of them have stood the test of time - in fact I'm just about to re-read it again and highlight those specific entries that really spoke to me so that I can revisit them again and again even though they will be less than half the total. So why four stars you may ask - well it's really simple. Those that 'spoke' to me really brought me into the presence of God in a powerful way and I've read hundreds of Christian books that didn't do it even once. You have to read it prayerfully - a few pages at a time. If you do - you will be blessed, for God still speaks through Michel's words.

Lente Designs® Apple iPad 2, 3 and 4 case in 'Pink Roses' design
Lente Designs® Apple iPad 2, 3 and 4 case in 'Pink Roses' design

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cover, 19 Nov. 2013
The cover is pretty and very Cath Kidston like which is great. It was bought for a 21yr old girl who loves it. The product does a good job of protecting the iPad but the magnetic on/off function is very hit and miss and erratic. If you don't mind about the on/off function then this product is great!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2014 1:42 PM GMT

Turn of the Tide (Munro Book 1)
Turn of the Tide (Munro Book 1)
by Margaret Skea

5.0 out of 5 stars What happens next?, 23 Aug. 2013
Historical fiction is not my normal choice, however knowing the author and having been interested in the Rievers museum in Carlisle I started into the story. The shocking beginning is followed by interwoven strands of action and character development which had me hooked. I really wanted to see where the people ended up. In fact I still do, and so await the next book to find out if I am right in what I think will happen. A great read.

Victorinox Swiss Army Mechanical Extra Large Mens Watch 241190
Victorinox Swiss Army Mechanical Extra Large Mens Watch 241190

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I expected, 31 Oct. 2012
I took a long time deciding before I chose this watch - I really fancied a black face but when this arrived I was seriously impressed. It is incredibly clear to read and so much better than I expected - of special note is the almost seamless dove-tailing of the sapphire crystal face with the flat bezel that really looks much smarter than the pictures suggest. It is sometimes called the 'Ambassador' and it would not look out of place in such a setting. It is of course now a deleted item from the Victorinox catalogue and one of the few remaining wholly manual watches I could find with a genuine Swiss movement(and at £200 massively cheaper than any alternative of similar quality). I'm guessing that it was originally aimed at the US market where most of the still available stock seems to be sourced (I have absolutely no complaints about my supplier - arrived in perfect condition in 3 working days after ordering along with the US 3-year warranty card [not valid in Europe but nice to have], instruction manual and incredible box). Although I have a fairly small wrist it doesn't look overpowering (probably due to its stainless steel/white colouring). It is heavy and I suggest you remove only those links that make it feel comfortable (I can put a finger between the bottom of my wrist and the strap) rather than a snug fit - I originally opted for the latter and as soon as I spent an evening in with the fire on, my wrist expanded and it began to feel really tight - so I had a half-link put back on and now it's great. If you are not used to a manual watch make sure that you wind it fully at the start as it's easy to make a mistake and have the watch stop after 24 hours if you are not careful - it has been easy getting into the habit of winding it up first thing every morning. The accuracy after two weeks has been nothing short of amazing and I've really only adjusted it to accommodate the end of BST. If early performance is maintained I may never change it and I can finally say good bye to batteries. In short - an amazing watch at a steal of a price.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 8:01 PM GMT