Profile for Jaws > Reviews

MTV Unplugged
MTV Unplugged
Price: 10.88

5.0 out of 5 stars They're not done yet, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: MTV Unplugged (Audio CD)
A seemingly never-ending farewell tour, the crappy rip-off known as "Comeblack" and now an MTV Unplugged? Admittedly, I was worried that my favourite band would stain a brilliant 40-year career by not knowing when to stop. But boy, was I wrong. This CD shows them at the top of their game. It may be acoustic, but it's certainly rock 'n' roll.

There are several reasons why every fan should get this album. First of all, they included 4 songs from the Roth era (albums which I like the most). Then there are some brand new songs, and no fillers at that. "Delicate Dance" provides a somewhat atypical instrumental, but very melodic. "Follow Your Heart" and "Dancing With the Moonlight" have those catchy choruses that I love these guys for. Then if anyone forgot that this is a German band, here's Rudolf's "Love Is The Answer". But what he lacks in pronunciation, he makes up in emotion and sincerity. And "Rock 'N' Roll Band"? I get goosebumps when Klaus roars that line: "You wanna know who I am? I'm in a rock 'n' roll band!"

The arrangements are simply brilliant, so that even familiar tunes like "Passion Rules The Game" and "No One Like You" shine in a whole new way. These two even top the original versions. Funnily, the weak spot of the Scorps' live albums are usually the biggest classics, because we've heard them so many times that they got boring. However, here they managed to render "Still Loving You" and "Wind Of Change" in a slightly different way (ie. they have a reason to be on a CD for the nth time). I think Morten Harket fitted in quite nicely.

All in all, quite a feat for a couple of grampas. So should they ride off into the sunset as winners? Only after I've seen them live with this set. Or never.