Profile for A. Carney > Reviews

Content by A. Carney

A. Carney "drajcarney"

HTC One Cool Black Genuine Leather Shocksock Pocket Pouch Case Cover Wallet Protector from Keep Talking Shop HTC One Accessories
Offered by Keep Talking Shop
Price: 9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect., 3 Jun 2013
Chose this after reading a number of different case reviews. It is a snug fit and does not significantly increase the size of the already large handset. It is real leather and well constructed and stitched. The integration of pull up ribbon and closure is smart and works well. It might have benefitted from a magnetic closure rather than the slightly tacky velcro, but thats personal taste. Keeps my superb handset well guarded. The loss of the fifth star is for the depth, just flush with the top of the phone, I would have been happier with something slightly deeper. Overall, given what folks are saying about the official HTC cases, this seems like a winner. Will edit with any future observations on wear and tear, quality etc.

Platinum 64GB Class 10 SDXC Memory Card
Platinum 64GB Class 10 SDXC Memory Card
Offered by Obbo GmbH
Price: 32.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box!, 27 Aug 2012
For the price, you cannot go wrong. I bought this for use in my Ultrabook, for storing films, TV series etc to view on my weekly commute between the UK and Sweden. Capacity/price ratio is fantastic and I have never encountered any difficulties with read or write speeds. Within class. Thouroughly recommended over better known, but significantly more expensive brands.

Invicta Angel Women's Quartz Watch with White Dial Chronograph Display and White Rubber Strap 0734

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Deal, 27 Aug 2012
I bought this as a "lightning deal" and at 49.80, it is a very good deal. My wife thought it was too big, so I have a very happy 11 year old boy!. One gripe, this is permanently discounted on the US site to $53, which is an even better deal and always available. Why the huge price discrepancy? Another example of "rip off Britain"?
Product is robust and as described, will edit after some further use.

Toshiba Satellite Z830-10T 13.3 inch Ultrabook - Metallic Grey (Intel Core i3-2367M, 1.40 GHz, RAM 4GB,128GB SSD, Windows 7 Home Premium)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog's Bo***cks, 15 July 2012
I have now been using this beauty for approximately 2 months. I bought it for my wife, who then realised that the model I had purchased had a UK keyboard (she is Swedish and wanted a Scandinavian one!). Having seriously customised it ..and having had the opportunity to play with it, I was loath to return it. I commute 2000 miles weekly and humping a 2.5kg standard laptop is just a no go. Having purchased a clutch of 7 inch android tablets for my kids I was seriously considering going this route for my travels. I am so glad that I did not. This has been described by several of my regular long distance commuting colleagues as "the best/nicest laptop I've ever seen". I agree with previous reviewers that it would seriously benefit from an upgrade to the hard drive size wise, as to speed of boot up, silent operation( by the time I bought mine the problem earlier reviewers identified with the fan had already been corrected by the BIOS upgrade), it is frankly the most desirable piece of computing equipment I have ever owned, and I have had a huge number from Sinclair Spectrums to a Core i7 with 12 GB of RAM and 2 TB HD. It is feather light (1100g/2lb 4 oz), totally silent and seriously quick. Storage is easily expanded, I personally recommend the 64GB Platinum Class 10 SDXC Card for 31.55 each here on Amazon. Despite being 700 light having bought my wife her preferred configuration, I cannot but wholeheartedly recommend this machine, especially since, when I purchased it, Toshiba were offering to extend the warranty by a further 12 months just for registering your purchase (note, I do not know whether this still applies). Altogether thouroughly recommended, with commiseratios to the reviewer above whose SSD failed.

WD Elements Desktop WDE1U5000
WD Elements Desktop WDE1U5000

5.0 out of 5 stars Never a Problem., 30 Dec 2007
I bought this primarily for back up but run it quite frequently. It may not have an on off switch, but WD do provide spindown utility, because as with most inexpensive external drives, there is no built in drive controller so your disk is in permanent motion. As to the USB connection, even though I have passing through an externally powered hub sticking perilously out of the side of my laptop, I have never once experienced any connectivity problems. A solid, simple and cheap solution to storage needs.

After The Ice: A Global Human History
After The Ice: A Global Human History
by Steven Mithen

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Introduction to Prehistory, 31 Aug 2004
This lengthy text incorporates serious heavyweight scholarship with an unusual narrative style. Using a "time travel" analogy Mithen brings to life some of the most significant archaeological sites of the Palaeolithic, Mesolithic and early Neolithic in a way that most archaological texts, even those aimed at an educated lay audience fail to do.
His style, whilst at times rather too chatty for my personal taste, will undoubtedly draw in a far wider audience to this rather esoteric field than any other text I have so far come across. Please note I am not an archaeologist by training! ;)

The breadth of material covered is truly breathtaking,from Chile to Siberia, North America to Australasia, the entire world is covered in a way that many "eurocentric" scholars could take serious lessons from; it is clear that he has familiarized himself in depth as well with many of the sites used in the text.
If you only ever buy one book about this vital period of modern human development, then you should seriously consider making this your choice.