Profile for David Evans > Reviews

Content by David Evans

David Evans

Songbook [Deluxe Edition]
Songbook [Deluxe Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this simply because I have loved the work of Allen Toussaint for years both as ..., 10 Oct 2014
Bought this simply because I have loved the work of Allen Toussaint for years both as a song writer and performer. I could not get to any of Allen's concerts in London but this is clearly as close as one could get to a live performance.It's a joy to both watch and listen to and I unreservedly recommend it both to Toussaint fans and those who do not know his work but enjoy the unique sounds of New Orleans at its gentle swinging best.

Time and Place - (SACD/CD - plays on all CD players)
Time and Place - (SACD/CD - plays on all CD players)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is simply a lovely album. Just buy it ..., 10 Oct 2014
This is simply a lovely album. Just buy it and sit and listen to it in it's entirety. The cello quartet blends so well with Claire's smokey voice that you are left wanting more - and you can't ask for more than that!

My Own Company
My Own Company

4.0 out of 5 stars In the main I enjoyed the first listen and feel that it gets better ..., 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: My Own Company (Audio CD)
I start this review by admitting that I am not familiar with Polly Gibbons' earlier releases and come to her work with this album. In the main I enjoyed the first listen and feel that it gets better with further hearings. I don't like every track but feel that overall the cd is definitely worth buying. Throughout Polly is superbly supported by the James Pearson Trio and at times I think their playing helps hold back Polly's tendency to lose a bit of control. In "Muddy Waters" Polly demonstrates her undoubted ability to belt out a tune without distortion - and she can do it so well, while "I Never Loved a Man" is an example of where she undoubtedly benefits from the trios strong playing. Both "Tenderly" and "Don't Explain" are wonderful interpretations with excellent use of melody and her delivery of Joni Mitchell's "All I Want" is, for me, a revelation. Pearson's playing and Polly's smokey vocals are both a joy.On the other hand , the opening track, "My Own Company", is, I feel, a disappointing introduction.There are times were Polly's voice becomes too harsh for me - as if volume rather than hitting the higher notes cleanly can get her by. To a lesser degree the same criticism is aimed at the second track, "Miss Celie's Blues". Pearson's honkey piano and the well structured playing makes you think what can go wrong but again Polly almost reaches a screech when clearly hit notes would be much more rewarding for the listener. But let's balance this review. Her self penned track "Midnight Prayer" is beautiful
The low point for me is her interpretation of Lerner and Loewe's "Almost Like Being In Love". Improvise by all means but stay with the spirit of the work and remember that shouting doesn't make the tune any better. Finally, "What Would I Do Without You" is a great finish that does, I feel, leave me wanting more.
This probably appears a negative review but, as I said, I am new to Polly's work and the review I read and James Pearson's "sleeve notes" suggest that "Polly is one of the greatest singers of her generation". Hence my perhaps over critical comments on her voice on one or two tracks. I don't believe this album supports the assertion that she is a great singer, however I imagine she would be wonderful to see live and I acknowledge that she has a wide vocal range that will allow her a more varied repertoire than, for example, Madeleine Peyroux, (who I love!). On balance a good album I am glad I bought. I will, undoubtedly, look to familiarise myself with more of her work and urge others to buy this offering.

Come Sunday
Come Sunday

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful playing; warm and faithful interpretations of well known ..., 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: Come Sunday (Audio CD)
Beautiful playing; warm and faithful interpretations of well known but seldom heard hymns and sacred pieces. Having read a review in Jazz Monthly, I bought this together with the earlier Steal Away and I'm glad I did. Although there are obvious similarities, given the subject and the limitations placed on two musicians, that should not put anyone off listening to both albums. These are wonderful examples of two superb musicians playing almost as one. They know each other and both experienced the music throughout their lives and it shows in every track. The recent sad news of Charlie Haden's death is a great loss to Jazz.

Woman Of Heart And Mind [DVD] [2003]
Woman Of Heart And Mind [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Joni Mitchell
Offered by MediaMerchants

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best career assessments of a great artist I have ever seen, 17 Sep 2013
I should say from the outset that I have been a lover of Joni's music for more than 40 years. I saw her tour with Jackson Brown, later with Tom Scott's LA Express and a couple of times since then, including Wembley. Hers has been a career of continual growth and change; she always pushes boundaries, working with great musicians and seeming never to rest on her laurels, never being prepared to follow others by simply repeating a set format just to release another album. But what has been constant throughout her career has been her wonderful poetry.

The strength of this DVD is that its focus is squarely on her writing, how her work reflects both her experiences and the times she lives in. The biographical details are superb, the candid comments of friends and fellow musicians revealing and (other than David Crosby) not falling into the obsequious remarks often made in such reviews.The "pace" of the DVD is excellent giving equal coverage of all stages of her career with supporting footage of concerts that are hugely illustrative of her development over the years. It's a DVD to dip into or to watch through over and over again. It's a fitting tribute to and record of the wonderful career of a genuinely unique artist. For me,this ranks with The Last Waltz as a musical DVD every lover of quality music should own.