Profile for O.Pinion > Reviews

The Full Legacy
The Full Legacy
Price: 1.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected., 9 July 2014
This review is from: The Full Legacy (Kindle Edition)
I expected the usual lesbian "huff-and-puff" of steamy sex in tight corners: instead, I am happy to say that I found it a largely believable story of characters caught in an awkward situation breeding suspicion and distrust. The author should be commended for a restrained and well-developed tale.

The Ultimate Taboo Game (Forbidden Erotica Stories Fantasy Collection Online Show Bundles Book 1)
Price: 1.85

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Collection., 18 Jun 2014
I will admit that I enjoy the occasional "adault" story. What I cannot stand is having sex crammed down my throat...which is, I'm afraid, how I see these so-called books.

Dilemma: Political Thriller
Dilemma: Political Thriller

1.0 out of 5 stars What Politics?, 18 Jun 2014
This was billed as a Political Thriller; what "politics" there are seem to have been gleaned from the redtop press. The number of spelling, grammatical and typographical errors completely spoiled what could have been a reasonably readable story. Why the writer introduced the sex scene between his two police characters is a mystery; it adds nothing to the story and has nothing to do with the plot. The odd speech patterns also irritated me - so much so that I almost abandoned the book well before the end. Very poor fare, I think.

But For The Grace: A DC Smith Investigation
But For The Grace: A DC Smith Investigation
Price: 1.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fresh breeze, 9 Jun 2014
Peter Grainger has done it again for me. I bought this after reading - and loving - "An Accidental Death", and was not disappointed. Again the stalwart Smith, again a little of Chris Waters, again the intriguing references to the "Andretti" case and, again, a complete and utterly believable plot. Additionally, for me, (surprisingly in a who-dun-it) some outstanding prose, sensitive situations, finely wrought emotions and (again pleasantly surprising in a kindle book) flawless grammar, spelling and editing..
I am still waiting for the big one, Peter.

An Accidental Death: A DC Smith Investigation
An Accidental Death: A DC Smith Investigation
Price: 1.91

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air!, 9 Jun 2014
After a diet of second-rate "police-procedurals" this book ticked all my boxes. Whilst reading it I was continually regretting that I had somehow missed a previous one - about the 'Andretti' case - only to discover that this was the first D C Smith book, and that Peter Grainger had cleverly "dropped in" references to the case, which, presumably, has still to be explained in a future book. (Indeed, he continues to lace the beverage in his second D C Smith story, "But For The Grace", which I highly recommend, also.)
Smith,our hero, is a "character", he quickly grows on you. You wonder why he has taken demotion, what transpired to cause bad blood with some of his colleagues, and you feel the pressure which the complexities of the case put upon his professionalism. You also begin to ache for him to relieve his feeling of loneliness and loss. But you also share his emerging relationship with his rookie partner, Waters, and the understated humorous banter between the two.
I have no hesitation in saying "go for it!"; I thoroughly enjoyed it - paractically in one session without stopping for food!

Sandcastle Kisses: A Billionaire Love Story
Sandcastle Kisses: A Billionaire Love Story
Price: 2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Sugar and Spice., 5 May 2014
This was very similar to the dozens of "Billionaire" stories. Smoochy, saccharine and slightly sexy. It passed the time away quite successfully...but I had to recap to remember the plot!

Jules Poiret in Sir Alexander dies (A Jules Poiret Mystery Book 7)
Jules Poiret in Sir Alexander dies (A Jules Poiret Mystery Book 7)
Price: 3.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Agatha or Frank?, 5 May 2014
The echoes of the Poirot storiess are quite weird. Not quite up to the Queen of Crimes standard, but an interesting study, nevertheless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2014 1:36 PM BST

Prester John
Prester John
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bit of Nostalgia, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Prester John (Kindle Edition)
I have not yet read this book - again: the first time was when I first started Grammar School, and this was one of the two "set" books for the first year. I remember being gripped by the, then, far-away scenes of the Veldt and Buchan's descriptive powers. I look forward to immersing myself in those scenes again - very soon.

Chameleon: A City of London Thriller
Chameleon: A City of London Thriller
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Racist and Self-opinionated, 7 Feb 2014
Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed "Fogarty", I am afraid I found this story far too full of "J.J." I cannot forgive a writer who brings himself, as a character, into a work of fiction .

E Cook Ceramic Frying Pan 20cm Red and White
E Cook Ceramic Frying Pan 20cm Red and White
Offered by the cookshop
Price: 11.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Fry, fry, fry again, 7 Feb 2014
Excellent - and so easy to clean, even in the dishwasher! I will certainly consider other appliances in the range.

Page: 1 | 2