Profile for Alfuso > Reviews

Content by Alfuso

Alfuso "Nomad & Standby" (Dunedin, FL USA)

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

4.0 out of 5 stars I especially liked the Sherlock crossover, 31 Jan 2014
Sherlock's excitement at meeting The Doctor.

Touring the TARDIS and re animating the remains of the Master with sarcasm and wit.

Watson will make an astounding Companion.

Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete Series 8 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

4.0 out of 5 stars I especially enjoyed the Sherlock crossover, 31 Jan 2014
Sherlock's excitement at meeting The Doctor.

Watson will make an astounding Companion.

The Huggetts Collection - Holiday Camp/Here Come The Huggetts/Vote For Huggett/The Huggetts Abroad [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Warner

4.0 out of 5 stars Collecting Peter Hammond and charmingly side tracked, 11 Nov 2007
I bought this collection because I have been charmed by Peter Hammond for 50 years. Lost him somewhere along the way but rediscovered him when I bought the DVD set of "The Buccaneers."

So I got to work on collecting anything I could that he'd done - with a special eye to his Directing (which is very visual with great care for light and color). But I stumbled over The Huggetts and these 4 films are as charming as it can get without being treacle.

Although I am an American, I can identify with many aspects of these films. I was born in 1947 and raised in a working-class neighborhood in a family that counted weekly Grange meetings, clog dancing and Fiddling among their High Spots.

I vividly remember my girlfriend's family getting their first phone. I can also remember, vaguely, something disturbingly like a Holiday Camp. I have actually done or have seen many of the things that transpire in these films.

Tightly filmed, they flow well, tempered with a "common" humor and traditional values that anyone can relate to.

Peter Hammond is charming on the eyes, putting me in mind of a young Jimmy Stewart in looks and style. And he comes with a good sense of comic timing, never going over the top. His exchanges with the Petula Clark character are endearing - he always seems willing to go along with her dream.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2010 8:01 PM BST

The Battle Of Britain (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
The Battle Of Britain (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Caine
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Those gallant few against so many, 15 Jun 2007
wonderful film in its time and still holds up. No CGI, real planes, real pilots. Good aerial sequences, good miniatures.

The Germans aren't made out to be "just" villians -- they are airmen too, with the same hearty regard for life, flying and fighting as the RAF pilots.

A glorious tribute to those gallant few who really did go up against so many and "saved" England.

It's why I love England.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2008 11:53 AM BST

The Buccaneers - The Complete Series [1956] [DVD]
The Buccaneers - The Complete Series [1956] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Shaw
Offered by cs-marketplace

5.0 out of 5 stars Thigh High Leather Boots!, 22 Mar 2007
Nearly 50 years before Jack Sparrow there was The Buccaneers.

I loved this series when I was 10. Allowing for the technology of the time, it's still a fun show, with good dialogue and good acting. Camera work is generally tight and the sets don't shake.

I am still in love with Lt. Beamish, and the wary relationship he and Tempest develop. But after watching and rewatching 50 years later, I find Hammond's Beamish is the best character in the show. Certainly the most developed one. (And this close to drop-dead gorgeous). Shaw was pretty much playing himself. But Hammond fleshed out what was essentially a comedy relief role of a naive bumbler with authority figure issues into someone with real grit underneath, added the touchstone orf "King and Country", honor and friendship, and went toe to toe with Shaw's ego and came out dead even or sometimes ahead.

The ad-libs and one-upmanship in this old series are just a tickle. I have no idea of what the professional relationship between Shaw and Hammond was, but the two characters really click.

Pity that Beamish disappears after episode 26. The show loses some spark as Tempest has no one to really bounce off of. Beamish was the only one who butted heads with him.

This is a Broadway musical waiting to happen. Someone please show this to Mel Brooks!

A terrific Yo Ho.

And thigh-high leather boots. . . .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 11, 2008 10:58 AM BST

Robin Of Sherwood - Complete [DVD]
Robin Of Sherwood - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Praed
Offered by filmandtvfavourites

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, mystical series, 16 Mar 2007
I had to get commercial DVD of this series - my old tapes are badly degraded.

I watched it on cable in mid-80's. Had the pleasure of meeting several of the cast member at various Conventions -- Praed was a wonderful person, absolute gentlemen and guest with no airs whatsoever. I was at his very first Con, Scorpio in 1988. Several of us stayed up with him to wee hours calming his Con jitters. He was so nervous that he'd "fail"!

The guy playing Will Scarlett really was Will Scarlett! He was a rascal and a ruffian.

The series itself was like a dream. I even enjoyed Connery's series. Especially appreciated were the mystical links to the Horned God, druidism, etc. This gave it an emotional power and a cinematic beauty that was riviting.