Profile for solous > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Deadman Wonderland The Complete Series Collection [Blu-ray]
Deadman Wonderland The Complete Series Collection [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Kana Hanazawa

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star rating for the blu ray product and not the actual series, 11 Jan. 2014
I'd heard about this series some time ago from my brother. I managed to watch some of the episodes online, but as they were censored I stopped watching and thought I'd wait to get it over here in the UK. That said, I was incredibly excited when I learned Manag were releasing this over here on Blu-Ray. So much so I got it as soon as I could. I have to admit I was incredibly disappointed when I found that the exact same scenes were censored to what I'd seen previously online. What's more, when I put the Japanese soundtrack on, I found that swearing was bleep'd out.

All in all I think that Manga UK have been very sloppy and lazy with this product. I say this regarding the violence, where there are instances of incredible gore from the likes of Shiguri: Blood Frenzy, even with films such as Akira, and MD Geist. That said, the fact nothing has been done by Manga UK about the censoring is atrocious. Insult to injury, they've been lazy enough to leave the bleeps in the Japanese soundtrack but not in the English track, which in my eyes was a crafty way of bumping up the certification, because the violence they did show could only have garnered a 15 certification.

Onto the series itself, the story is solid and challenging, this thrusts the protagonist- Ganta- into witnessing the death of his closest friends, then being wrongly tried for their murder. At the trial Ganta's own lawyer deceives him, forcing a life sentence verdict and imprisonment in Deadman Wonderland- a corperate own prison funded by a themeland style participation by the general public. Life, at this point for the protagonist, becomes a desperate battle. Ganta strives with mororse, forlorn wounds, finding little reason for going on now he has been decieved, betrayed and abandoned by everyone. Slowly, he realises that he wants to live on, even if he is imprisoned, and he learns that perhaps the world isn't as devoid of love and tenderness, when he befriends a young girl at Deadman Wonderland. The rest of the premise sees intrigue unfold, as a devestating event from the past has left certain people with special abilities to use their own blood as tools of murder. It is these people that Deadman Wonderland uses to battle against one another and issue enormous bets from the faceless rich and powerful. Ganta carries such a power, this throws him into the bloody ring, his own intentions spiraling out of control, as he realises the real killer of his friends has the same ability and is also at the prison.

I was really looking forward to seeing all of this series, as the OVA was included with the Blu Ray I was especially excited. Unfortunately, Manga ruined this for me. So now I'm going to have to look else where to get an uncensored version.

If you don't mind the censoring then I highly recommend this series. The story is intense, but if you don't mind viewing warped situations, this series is great.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2014 1:44 PM GMT

Unborn But Forgotten [DVD] [2002]
Unborn But Forgotten [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Jun-ho Jeong
Offered by FREETIME

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 26 May 2013
I bought this because it was fairly cheap, also because I enjoy owning the Tartan film range, I have to admit I was very disappointed with the film. I can't say that it was scary or anything, and since the main lead from 'Marrying the Mafia' I was expecting some kind of humour/comedy through out. Of course it this wasn't the case. I just wasn't too captivated by the story, or the performances, or even the music- Korean films normally have incredibly emotional and stirring classical music socres that help to create pathos and atmosphere, just look at 'A Tale of Two Sisters'. 'Unborn But Forgotten' didn't do anything for me what so ever. Not to say all Korean horror films are this way, they've made some great thrillers and horror films- I really enjoyed 'Into the Mirror', 'The Uninvited' was an incredible film as well. I suggest trying those instead of 'Unborn But Forgotten'.

Hulk Vs. Wolverine  Vs. Thor [DVD]
Hulk Vs. Wolverine Vs. Thor [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frank Paur

4.0 out of 5 stars great battle and fight scenes, 26 May 2013
I watched these short films some time ago and was impressed enough to know I wanted to add them in my DVD collection. Finally got around to it and was glad for the addition. These are only short films, approximately 40 minutes each, but I highly enjoy each one of them. I have to admit as well I enjoyed the Wolverine episode more than the Thor one. The Thor aspect is still great, but if I had to choose one it would be the Wolverine aspect. I say this for the sole purpose that it was good to see this aspect of Wolverine, especially when he was hacking and slashing the Hulk and fighting against the members of Weapon X. I was thrilled by the whole experience and know I can watch it again and still be entertained.

Christmas In August [DVD]
Christmas In August [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suk-Kyu Han
Offered by Qoolist

3.0 out of 5 stars average korean romantic-drama, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Christmas In August [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this quite simply because it was cheap and I didn't mind having it even if I did only watch it once. The film warranted a place in my collection after watching it, I wouldn't say it was the greatest drama ever told, but the music and leads work well in the film, the story as well fairly entertaining in it's dramatic throws and melancholic mood. To be honest I'm not sure why it was rated 12 though, no blood or anything in it and the lanaguage didn't seem aweful, all in all a nice film that wasn't offending.

The Evil Dead 1981 Reproduction Poster Size 11.7" x 16.5"- 297mm x 420mm
The Evil Dead 1981 Reproduction Poster Size 11.7" x 16.5"- 297mm x 420mm
Offered by Lovingmystuff

5.0 out of 5 stars great poster, 26 May 2013
this item came to me and I was a little unsure what it's quality would be like. Needless to say the item was very well presented and I was extremely happy to add it to my wall.

Farewell, Friend [DVD]
Farewell, Friend [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alain Delon
Offered by rightpricediscs

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible performances from Bronson and Delon, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Farewell, Friend [DVD] (DVD)
I heard about this film from my brother and thought I'd give it a go, I'm glad I did because this is in short an incredible film. From the opening sequence I was captivated and was kept intrigued up until the last last awesome moment. I don't want to give too much away about the story because not knowing too much myself made the experience even better. Needless to say the direction is incredible with some truely inspiring moments of tension and originality. What I like about this film as well was the relationship between Alaine Delon and Charles Bronson- I think if it had been anyone else they wouldn't have been able to pull it off, but there was true interaction between Brons and Delon, and rather than one outwitting the other through out, instead there was a steady rapor between the two as they try to out smart and out fight the other. A great film that has it's friendship, melancholy, humour, and darkness.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Volume 1 - 4 [DVD]
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Volume 1 - 4 [DVD]
Offered by MusicnMedia

5.0 out of 5 stars great value for what you get, 22 April 2013
I bought this for about £8 which as I said above was great value for what I got- the first 4 volumes. I wouldn't say this series is as good as Justice League. The action doesn't quite cut it over JL, for some reason DC just seemed to have done their series more adult orientated, or at least that's what I think. I still enjoyed this series enough to buy it, and watching it again I wasn't disappointed. The story is fairly solid, although I have to admit unless you are watching it on a regular basis and aren't a kid it might be difficult to follow, aspects of future upcoming stories and villians take place episodes before the actual relevant stuff happens, which is good because it creates a nice arch and actually makes you feel like you're watching a series rather than convenient 'pop corn' viewing. Noteably as well to nice to see Jeffry Coombs and Lance Henrikson lending their unique voices to the series,

Ninja Resurrection - Classic Collection [DVD]
Ninja Resurrection - Classic Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Yasunori Urata
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars blood and gore to add to Makai Tensho series, 22 April 2013
First of all, for any who don't know, this is actually based on a Japanese novel called Makai Tensho. The story has been made into various films and even a short live action TV series. Noteable, Kinji Fukusaku (the director of Battle Royale) directed one of the live action films staring Sonny Chiba (Shinichi Chiba) I've never read the book although from watching this anime and the various live action adaptations I wish someone would translate it into English. As I've seen from another review of this anime collection I can confirm that there are only two episodes, and this kills me because I enjoyed it so much. There's a lot of violence and gore and action and sex for those who aren't into Yaoi or nice animes where villains who easily turn into good guys. The other adaptations of the story aren't as violent, so it was nice to see this hardcore action and bloodshed, not because I only like to see severed childrens heads, and resurrected Ninja's using their own entrails to rip their enemies apart but simple because as stated above it makes a nice change. I have to admit that Masamichi Amano's music accompanies the episodes very well. From the music you do get a feel of 'Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend' in the mix. But I like Amano's music. As for the series itself I liked the action and the pacing, that's why I was so happy when I purchased it on DVD. I am disappointed it never went the full way and concluded the series. But what there is I'm content enough to add this to my anime collection.

Regarding the story it revolves around Yubei Yagyu, sent to Shimabara castle to squash the uprising insurgent of Christain rebels against the Shogun. The leader of the Christains is led to witness the slaughter of the people he's leading, sending him over the edge. All this is the work of another attempting to fullfill an ancient prophecy to bring about the resurrection of the devil. Jubei succeeds in killing the Christain lord, only as a prelude to the evil reincarnation. Various famous and powerful warriors are brought back to life in order to help the oncoming apocalypse. Musashi Myamoto features, as well as Munemori Yagyu (Jubei's father) The second episodes ends with the Christain leader's resurrection, and the fall of chaos and destruction over Edo (the capital of Shogunate Japan at the time).

I hated to see where this series ends because it ends with such a cliff hanger.

A great two episodes I thought and I'd recommend it to hardcore anime fans.

The Great Silence [DVD] [1968]
The Great Silence [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Klaus Kinski

5.0 out of 5 stars cold hearted western from director of Django, 23 Nov. 2012
First off this is an incredibly well shot film. Ennio Morricone's harrowing track accompanies it well, almost haunting the screen with it's melody and accompaniment to the main character- who goes by the name Silence. The story involves bounty hunter- Silence- as he roams the snowy plains, it's very samurai in the way it is, Silence and the other bounty hunters acting like disgruntled ronin who just want to survive in a harsh world. He's hired to protect a young woman who offers herself to him, won't go into too much detail regarding this, but it did remind me of the first Vampire Hunter D animated film, when the young girl offers herself to Hunter D. Another great feature of this film of course is Klaus Kinski who is a force of enigmatic evil all on his own- he stars as the films villain, or protagonist I think would be better to call him, because in all honesty there doesn't feel too much of a definition of good and evil in this, just suffering, might, and death. I saw another review call this a nihilistic western and thats very true, this is a gritty film and full of brooding melancholy, I suggest it for spag western fans and generally for people who love great cinema.

The Harmonium In My Memory [1998] [DVD]
The Harmonium In My Memory [1998] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Byeong-heon
Offered by You Love a Bargain

3.0 out of 5 stars a nice film, 8 Oct. 2012
In short this is a nice film and a coming of age portrait for the young girl protagonist as well as a soul searching memoir for the male teacher as he strives to find happiness and companionship after landing in a small town as an educator.

The male teacher- Lee Bying Hyun- of course can be noted from other more serious films such as 'Bittersweet Life'; 'G.I Joe: Rise of Cobra'; and 'I saw the Devil'. His portrait here is a tender, warm hearted idealist as he starts to fall for a fellow teacher while one of his students finds dear devotion towards him. The film follows this kind of narrative. For anyone who might be expecting Kin Ki Duk's severe, oppressive, melancholic drama I'd strongly urge you to look else where. The film shows the diversity of Korean cinema, as well as it's actors.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3