Profile for David B > Reviews

David B "dwb7" (UK)

'48
'48

1.0 out of 5 stars Lazy effort, 30 Jan. 2011
This review is from: '48 (Kindle Edition)
I've read 15 of Herbert's books and consider myself a fan. I've had a 3 year break since The Ghosts of Sleath (which I enjoyed), so based on the reviews of '48 this looked a good bet. I was wrong. This felt like a half-hearted effort with little to keep my interest. The premise was promising but execution was weak. I just didn't care what happened to any of the characters. I struggled on and eventually gave up two-thirds of the way through which says it all. Next.

Killer Poker Online: Crushing the Internet Game
Killer Poker Online: Crushing the Internet Game
by John Vorhaus

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reading!, 8 Feb. 2004
Amusingly written and boy did I recognise myself! Plenty of valuable advice in how to avoid some big (and potentially costly) pitfalls in the on-line game - would definitely recommend

The Theory of Poker: A Professional Poker Player Teaches You How to Think Like One
by David Sklansky

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much focus on the odds side of the game, 8 Feb. 2004
I found this book very difficult to get into - virtually every section is presented from the point of view of the probability of making a hand and whether or not the pot (or implied) odds justify the play - all very relevant in the pro-world but extremely heady (and dull) reading for the Friday night game players.

Internet Texas Holdem: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro
Internet Texas Holdem: Winning Strategies from an Internet Pro
by Matthew Hilger

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've read so far..., 8 Feb. 2004
an excellent book full of very practical advice and lots of real-life examples which are used to test your grasp of the concepts at the end of each chapter. I've definitely changed my on-line game play based on the ideas presented. In the 3 single table tournaments I've played since reading the book I've had 1 win and two 2nd places! Probably a fluke, but I can dream.

Doyle Brunson's Super System: A Course in Power Poker!
Doyle Brunson's Super System: A Course in Power Poker!
by Doyle Brunson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid advice, 8 Feb. 2004
Don't be put off by the fact the book is about 3 inches thick! It's divided into sections for each type of poker (draw, stud, hold'em etc). I bought the book for the limit and no-limit hold'em sections and I wasn't disappointed - it definitely gave me some new ideas which I successfully put into practice in my first home game.