Profile for Miss Deborah Norris > Reviews

Content by Miss Deborah N...

Miss Deborah Norris "bookworm" (Kent, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Inspiring Tunisian Crochet (6 Projects For You And Your Home Book 1)
Inspiring Tunisian Crochet (6 Projects For You And Your Home Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, awful photos, nothing to inspire, 10 May 2014
Let me start with rarely do I write negative reviews, however this item really shouldn't be offered in exchange for money and I feel obliged to let you know why!

Got this through the Prime library and gutted I have wasted this month's selection but really glad I didn't pay for this.
The pictures of the project items are tiny and poorly shot, the blanket on the front cover is not included, and the layout of the patterns and text are difficult to decipher and not at all appealing.

The text is full of typos and terrible grammar, the yarn descriptions are limited so you would have to do a lot of research to substitute (no mention of either fibre type or weight)... and to cap it all off there are not any inspiring projects included. The designs are clumsy at best and don't appeal to me at all. I actually only borrowed it as I thought the blanket would be a nice project and it's not there.

Thoroughly disappointed! There are plenty cheap but well written patterns on ravelry or craftsy... my advice is avoid this.

Wool Overs Women's Cashmere & Merino V Neck Jumper Chocolate Large
Wool Overs Women's Cashmere & Merino V Neck Jumper Chocolate Large
Offered by Wool Overs Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely jumper, 27 Nov 2013
This is a lovely quality jumper... and warm! Perfect for the chilly season, great price and promptly delivered. The size was also as described.

The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise and witty, 9 Oct 2013
This is a book for everyone. There is well researched and clearly stated evidence of the real causes of heart disease... and therefore what you can do to improve your chances of avoiding it! Step away from the statins... indeed a brisk walk in the other direction should be what your doctor ordered (but sadly probably won't as the statins kick back is all too tempting). Now sit down and help yourself to that nice cheese and glass of wine and enjoy your stay on the planet in the company of good friends.

The King's Peace
The King's Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent adventure, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: The King's Peace (Kindle Edition)
The characters in this book are vivid and spring to life off the page. There is a massive cast and an epic style to this book, however it manages to stay very readable and it was difficult to put it down.

Flow Free: Bridges
Flow Free: Bridges

5.0 out of 5 stars addictive and colourful!, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Flow Free: Bridges (App)
Love this game. Simple concept, beautiful colours, gets increasingly crafty. Can't go wrong really, does what it says on the tin.

Symprove Original Drink - Pack of 4
Symprove Original Drink - Pack of 4
Offered by Nutrition Centre

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality live probiotic, 11 Dec 2012
I was recently introduced to this at a health fair.

I get bloaty/crampy IBS that can at times be horribly debilitating not to mention incredibly painful. I've done quite a bit of reading into probiotics to try and support/improve my symptoms - there's a vast choice and mixed reviews as to effectiveness.

The plus points of this:
live bacterial strains - the claim is "quicker activation" than freeze-dried counterparts
easy to take form that ensures maximum bacterial transit to the intestinal tract
doesn't contain anything to stimulate digestion - again, this backs the assertion that it then allows more of the bacteria to reach beyond the stomach - all those yoghurt based ones will get attacked by your stomach acid dealing with the protein.
clinical trial results to back their claims run by a reputable hospital in London (there are few enough of those, and it does help to take some of the "guess work" out of effectiveness - although I'm a great believer in using placebo effect too, after all a placebo is a powerful thing with few side-effects!)

The points raised by other reviews:
Taste - personally I like the taste, it's really grown on me... and if you don't like it you can dilute with water really easily! It's a bit sour/vinegary. But if you've ever taken neat cider vinegar, this is frankly sweet nectar! There is also a flavoured fruity version (too sweet for my taste) and they're bringing out an apple/cinnamon variety in the new year.

Expensive - yes it is (but so is any really good quality probiotic - and generally you get what you pay for). Also, I judge it in context of what price a comfortable/less stressed out gut has on my life and what I'm willing to shell out for that. It works out at less than £2 per day if you buy as a 4-pack and take the 50ml dose. That's less than the price of a fluffy coffee from a well-known tax-dodging coffee shop! on balance, I'd rather have this.

the other thing, being liquid form - it's relatively bulky compared to tablet forms. I don't mind, it's well packaged and I'm not globe-trotting! There's also the advantage of it not having to have weird fillers and preservatives which many pill forms have.

So has it worked for me?
I have definitely had improvement in my condition, and a much more stable gut = less stressed unhappy me. I'm all for that. No I haven't had a complete cure, but then I didn't expect one - the gut is complex and relies on good consistent diet practices too, which due to work/stress/hours is rather disrupted at the moment. Indeed, in light of that I believe that the Symprove has had a marked supportive effect for me and I'm happy with the product.
I'm about 55 days in, I've said I'll give it the recommended full 90 days before I decide whether I remain on it or cut it out (hence the 4 stars, as thus far, thus good, but I will try to remember to update after the full 3 months!). An expensive experiment? Perhaps, but I consider it worth while if it gives me a better quality of life as a result.

It's horses for courses - there's no guarantee that it will be a silver bullet for you, but not every treatment works for every person in every situation. I also recommend phoning Symprove and having a chat to one of their staff - they're really friendly/helpful and may be able to give more tailored advice for your particular condition.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2013 8:58 PM GMT

Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
Horses Never Lie: The Heart of Passive Leadership
by Mark Rashid

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, 11 Dec 2012
As with all of Mark Rashid's books that I have read to date this is a combination of lyrical story telling and thought provoking experiences - presented in a gentle and non-confrontational manner to allow the reader to decide whether they wish to go along with the information being detailed before them, or not. Rather like the entire ethos of Mr Rashid's training/leadership/partnership philosophy with horses.

Very readable, difficult to put down and always a joy. I can easily return to his writings and get more out of them each time. There are layers of subtlety and plenty of rich experience to learn from.

This is not a "how to" manual of methods. Indeed Rashid shies away from having "tools" or "techniques" to achieve an end, and details beautifully and with full justification why he feels this is the best route for him to take with horses. He leaves it up to the reader to decide whether that is something they can take on board and work with.

His message comes across loud and clear. He's not there to claim a new method or earth-shattering secret technique to fix all problems... but believes through his own broad and deep experiences with horses that quiet calm consistency and total awareness of one's own self around horses will help the horse develop a deep and lasting trust in their human counterparts which opens the door for collaboration of equals on a grown-up footing (horses are after all adults for the majority of rider/training experience and are rather adept at knowing how to be a horse already) rather than a more authoritarian parent-child do-as-I-say type "partnership".

I think part of the beauty of Rashid's writing (other than his delightfully rich story-teller style) is that he has a positive message and will not decry other forms of training as being wrong - but rather states his case for how he enjoys being around horses and leaves the door open for others to step through and join him. Or not. That is after all the point of his passive leadership style which is the backbone of the book. Freedom for the individual to choose what is best for them.

Lola Rose - Alfie Montana Agate Tumble Bracelet of Length 19cm
Lola Rose - Alfie Montana Agate Tumble Bracelet of Length 19cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty colours, 4 Dec 2012
I like Lola Rose, so I knew what Ito expect.
The stones in this (Montana Agate) are lovely, with delicate shades of greys and yellows, lots of translucent bits in the stones.
The cord is chunky in a silvery grey, the knotwork is neat and it slides when you need it without being loose so it does hold its adjusted length.
Nice chunky tumble-polished rocks. Pretty presentation pouch if you're making it a gift for someone (nice travel storage if you bought it for yourself!).

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and delicate, 21 Nov 2012
Ordered for a gift - very pretty little necklace pendant, exactly as described.
Friend is happy with it as a simple day-to-day wear piece.

Cover-Up Amazon Kindle 4, Wi-Fi, 6-inch (October 2011) Leather Cover Case (Book Style) (Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Cover, 22 May 2012
I LOVE THIS COVER.
Seriously, it's perfect for what I want it for. It has a magnetic clasp so it stays shut when in handbag or luggage. The front cover folds fully back when reading, so one-handed use is still good. The red colour makes it easy to spot where I last left it! The kindle fits snug and secure inside and there's enough case to give it bash-protection without being overly bulky. As with all cases it does add bulk to the reader, but the reader is hardly huge to begin with!

Great colour options in this line, and I would recommend to anyone. The official Kindle case for this style of reader does not have a closure and is much more expensive. It's not often that Amazon get this sort of stuff wrong, but they are being usurped on this cover. I'd happily buy an official cover if it had a proper closure and didn't cost half again the reader price!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4