Profile for Mr. H. Mackay > Reviews

Content by Mr. H. Mackay

Mr. H. Mackay (Worcester, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Professional LCD Optical Glass LCD Screen Protector for Canon EOS 6D/60D/600D Cameras
Offered by A-21 World

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential accessory to my 60D, 17 May 2013
Bought this to protect the screen on my beloved 60D. I wanted a glass rather than a film screen protector due to the additional protection offered. Although the sellers description warns that you cannot flip the screen round into the closed position against the camera when this protector fitted, I have had no such issues so I can double protect my screen should I wish.

Excellant product

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and well made- Finally a tool to last!, 17 May 2013
After perusing a range of more expensive tools from both gerber and leatherman I restrained myself and went for the Gerber Flik. The main attractions for me were the one hand opening pliers (two handed I have always found a bit of a far) and the fact that all the other tools can be opened and used without opening up the tool first. This makes the whole process of using the tool more fluid. Also, the build quality of the tool is far better than I expected, all the mechanisms feel well made and the blades themselves are razor sharp right out of the box!

Overall a good tool for those looking for a well made tool with a few interesting gimicks suitable for moderate use.

Lemix (LPE6) Travel Charger for Specific CANON EOS Models + UK/EU/USA & Car Adaptors
Offered by 4Value

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, excellent value for money, 24 April 2013
Well made, does the job nicely, the included adapters are a great bonus too, particularly when travelling. Good, cheaper alternative to Canon's OEM charger

Proxima Direct® Slim Slot in USB External DVD±RW Drive Writer Burner compatible with MacBook Pro Air iMAC, Win 7
Offered by Proxima Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent supplement to modern mac's!!, 24 April 2013
The finish on the product is excellent, sits nicely underneath my 21.5 inch iMac and looks like its supposed to be there!! Operation is simple and not too noisy, a key feature as I wanted to use it to watch DVD's.

Highly recommended alternative to Apple's superdrive

Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens
Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars The best walkaround lens for landscape photograpers!, 21 April 2013
After owning both the tamron 18-50 f2.8 (which i carelessly dropped whilst cleaning!), the canon 18-135mm IS STM and the sigma 10-20mm lenses I felt I wanted a lens with just that bit extra wideangle coverage on my walkaround lens as the sigma 10-20mm lens I bought for landscapes didn't get used as much as I thought it would since I like to shoot at a range of focal lengths when I see an interesting subject and it was a lot of hassle to keep switching lenses, holding the rest of the family up on our walk while I did so. I therefore went for this lens, both for the wideangle cverage and also the slightly better quality glass.

I am most definitely not dissapointed!! I can now shoot most of the subjects I desire to with one lens (I use a sigma 30mm f1.4 for low light subjects) and the image quality is stunning! Gone are the moderate CA issues I had with the 18-135mm STM and the build quality on this is superb! The AF is as silent as the STM and very fast!

There is currently not a lens to compete with it in terms of the focal range it offers, those extra few mm really make a difference if you shoot landscapes! Highly recommended!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2013 5:05 PM BST

Sharon iPad 4 Retina iPad 3 iPad 2 Ultrathin Keyboard Cover Smart Cover QWERTY
Sharon iPad 4 Retina iPad 3 iPad 2 Ultrathin Keyboard Cover Smart Cover QWERTY
Offered by LEICKE Germany

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, slim accessory for those times when you need to type that bit more., 18 April 2013
Chose this product as an alternative to more expensive branded alternatives and I am glad I did not spend the extra! This keyboard did everything I wanted from it, a slim cover whose aluminium matches my iPad 3, with a fully functional keyboard! I was also pleasantly surprised when I could use the same shortcuts as on my mac eg command + B for bold, command and C for copy. It really makes the whole experience very smooth and you essentially gain a touchscreen netbook when you need it like me for editing your dissertation, and a protected tablet when you don't.

Instantly connects with iPad via bluetooth, simple on off switch to preserve the already good battery life.

Highly recommended

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
Offered by Electron UK Next Working Day Delivery( Monday to Friday) if payment cleared by 1pm( T&C Apply)

5.0 out of 5 stars Far exceeded expectations!!!, 12 Dec. 2012
After using this lens for a week I can say that it is such a joy to use. I bought this lens after purchasing its little brother, the 40mm STM, a few weeks ago and I wanted a walkaround lens that I could use for wideangle and medium telephoto shots and video and to complement this with my 40mm for some creative shots. This lens is optically great with fast, absolutely silent autofocus on my 550D. THe build quality is superb and the next generation IS enables sharp, handheld shots at 200mm equiv. at 1/30th Second so it works well for me as I do a lot of low light photography at functions and so I was intitally worried about the 'fastness' of this lens but the IS sorts those issues out and modern DSLR's control noise so well at high ISO's that this isnt an issue for me.

Optical quality is great at all focal lengths, the focal range not being as broad as a 'superzoom' lens is probably to thank for that.

I will update this review when I have used it some more but I am seriously impressed by this lens from Canon and have already sold my excellent Tamron 18-50mm F2.8 to make room for it.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 8:42 AM GMT

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost silent, fast, small and light..., 12 Dec. 2012
After using this lens for over 3 weeks, I felt I had to write a review about how impressed I am with this lens. For a while I have considered getting a compact camera to supplement my Canon 550D for occasions where I don't wat to carry as much. Then I spotted this little lens. After looking through many reviews I was slightly worried that the 40mm focal length may be a bit strange on my 1.6x crop camera. However I think this length works great, enabling me to use it for both portrait and small group shots at parties and functions that I shoot for work, as well as encouraging me to be more creative in my time off by not having a zoom lens.

The optical performance of this lens is superb, surpassing that of the Canon 50mm F1.8 Mk II which was this lens' predecessor. The autofocus is pretty quick and almost silent thanks to the STM technology and full time manual focussing is also useful and never normally found on a lens in this price range.

Highly recommended lens that will encourage you to go out more with your DSLR.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2013 12:22 PM BST

Canon EOS 1000D Body Only
Canon EOS 1000D Body Only

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 1000D Body Only, 11 Dec. 2010
Received product over 2 weeks ago. Since then I have used it on two contracts shooting group portraits at balls. Image quality is great, easily reproducible at A3.Focus is fast and sharp and colours are reproduced accurately, requiring minimum retouching in photoshop elements.

I have fitted it with a battery grip and a powerful nissen flash unit. Although not Canon, these units are well made, packed with features and the camera works really well with them, creating a usable kit for a fraction of the price.

Overall an excellent camera for the price, fitted with the latest canon features usually found on mid-high range DSLR's

Compaq Mini 110c-1012sa 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom Processor N270, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB SATA HDD, 802.11 B/g, Webcam, Intel GMA950, BT USB Dongle, Windows XP)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 9 Aug. 2010
I purchased this netbook around 2 months ago as I have a desktop computer but wanted some portability as I am a university student. I upgraded the RAM to 2GB and installed windows 7 professional which can be obtained for only [...] from [...]. Win 7 ran much faster than the supplied XP and allows me to do everything from editing spreadsheets to watching movies and editing photos.

The keyboard on this netbook is fantastic and just as easy to use as a full size one. I've found the battery life is easily 5 hours with moderate use. Overall, thoroughly reccomended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3