Profile for S.D McKibbin > Reviews

Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy): 3/3
Mockingjay (part III of The Hunger Games Trilogy): 3/3
by Suzanne Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable., 1 Sep 2011
Finally, a teenage-fiction novel that isn't full of easy resolves and cop-out endings. For fans of the previous two books, this is an absolute must-read, and for those of you who haven't read either of the previous titles, this book should act as a major incentive for you to make a start.

I have read some slightly negative reviews for this book, and while I understand where the reviewers are coming from, I grasped a completely different message behind the outcome Collins devised for both the storyline and the fates of the characters themselves. Without giving too much away, forget the rulebook that came with The Hunger Games and Catching Fire - in this third and final installment, anything goes. From the first page to the close, this book is war, and I was relieved to see that Suzanne Collins did not hold back. The events of this book leave a lot of characters extremely worse for wear (some more than others) - ranging from gory death scenes, to psychological traumas and personal exchanges - all supported by an emotionally charged ending.

And if all of that wasn't enough, then read it for Suzanne Collins' unbelievable talent for plot twists. I would normally consider myself generally on the ball as regards twists in movies and books, but Collins was so flawlessly able to throw me off the trail and drop me in the deep end with just one sentence at the end of a chapter which just turned everything on its head. Who can be trusted? Who can't be trusted? How will the war end and what casualties will be suffered along the way? And of course, for those of you who have invested yourselves in the subplot of the love triangle between Katniss, Peeta and Gale - there is a credible resolve in there for you as well.

Couldn't recommend this book/series enough, and now I'll sit until May 2012 with my fingers crossed that Hollywood do not mess it up.

BUY THIS BOOK. 5*