Profile for Mrs. A. Collins > Reviews

Content by Mrs. A. Collins

Mrs. A. Collins (South Wales)

The courage to be me: A story of courage, self-compassion and hope after sexual abuse
by Dr Nina Burrowes
Price: 10.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all ages, even children & young people, 27 May 2014
I'm a therapist working with young survivors of sexual abuse and I will definitely be using this book with my teenage and younger clients. The illustrations really get the point across and speak a thousand words. A new and positive way to deal with the difficult feelings and emotions associated with abuse. A moving but extremely helpful find!!

Escape From Alcatraz [1979] [DVD]
Escape From Alcatraz [1979] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood
Price: 3.35

5.0 out of 5 stars A great fact based film!, 24 Feb 2011
This is such a great film from beginning to end! Filmed on location on 'The Rock' Eastwood plays a superb Frank Morris, with a lot of twists and turns in between! I've just returned from San Francisco and a visit to Alcatraz, and the tour guide there said that this film is incredibly accurate. A must see!!!

Muddles, Puddles and Sunshine (Early Years)
Muddles, Puddles and Sunshine (Early Years)
by Diana Crossley
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Interactive, therapeutic, creative book for bereaved children, 29 Dec 2010
I bought this book for a 9 year old boy I know who has recently lost his mother. I think the book is absolutely fantastic in dealing with such sensitive issues as grief and loss. My profession is in Child Therapy and Counselling and I plan to use many of the ideas in the book with other children I see in my work - in particular the 'friendship bracelet' and the 'emotions volcano'. The book is incredibly simple to use and is set out so that the child can work through it with someone they trust in about 6 hour long sessions (or however long they can concentrate for). At the end of each session, there is a fun activity page to be done together. I also like the idea '5 minutes more' where the child can talk about what they would like to say if they had 5 more minutes with their loved one - they can write it down and tie it to a helium balloon and release it - extremely therapeutic! Overall the best creative book I've seen for helping a young person through a loss - highly recommended!!

Rand McNally Manhattan Pop-Up Map
Rand McNally Manhattan Pop-Up Map
by Rand McNally
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE in the Big Apple!, 19 Jun 2010
The little map is INVALUABLE in the big city - so quick and easy to use, with no awkward unfolding to be seen! Fits nicely in the pocket and can be whipped out swiftly for a quick look at one of the pop up sections. Everything is listed on this handy item, all the main attractions plus loads more - great subway map on back too! You won't leave this little gem alone, it really is a MUST HAVE if visiting New York!

Creative Therapy: Activities with Children and Adolescents
Creative Therapy: Activities with Children and Adolescents
by Angela Hobday
Price: 26.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for ideas to use in therapy!, 19 Jun 2010
I bought this book to help me with my work as a counsellor as I am now seeing children under the age of 18 and I wanted some new ideas of how to engage them in creative therapy. What I love about the book is it not only gives the ideas and techniques but also shows by drawn example how they can be used. The headings are also clearly marked for whatever age group the activities can be used for, whether really young children or teenagers, so you can adapt the exercises to each age. Very easy and clear to understand and I have used many activities from the book so far with good results as the kids engage well with it.

Touring the Cabot Trail: Second Edition
Touring the Cabot Trail: Second Edition
by Susan Biagi

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but needs more photos of Trail drive!, 14 Aug 2009
I bought this book after having returned from a trip to Nova Scotia as I wanted to show my family just how lovely the Cabot Trail was (it was raining when I went!). The book is a good allrounder, but I was a bit disappointed there weren't more photos of the actual trail itself. The photography seems to focus on towns and villages along the trail, but I would have preferred more of the stunning scenes you see on the drive through the highlands, etc. I am still pleased with my purchase though as it's a good keepsake.