Profile for EmmaS > Reviews

Russell Hobbs 18554 Brita Filter Kettle with Blue Illumination
Russell Hobbs 18554 Brita Filter Kettle with Blue Illumination
Offered by Slamtech Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Tea for Two!, 9 Feb. 2015
Great kettle. I had the Breville Brita Filter kettle before this one but, as others have noted, it sprang a leak after about 2 years so needed to be replaced. This would seem to be a common fault with the Breville and its a real pain because given the nature of the product (the filter stopping limescale build up) your kettle isn't actually 'broken' it just has a major leak! Also, the Breville Brita Filter kettle is a lot more expensive than this one so I thought I'd give this a go instead. I particularly like the concept : I hate limescale flakes in my tea - its vile. The brita filter part of this eradicates that completely. I haven't encountered any sort of bitter or burnt chemical taste since using it like others have mentioned. But I would agree that the maximum allowable water level does fall short of doing anything more than 2 ish mugs at a time. You would have to refill and reboil if you had guests. My only other gripe would be about the supplier I bought it from - the box was well worn and sellotaped closed. Not sure if it was a ex display model or a return or what. The kettle sort of looked new - I don't think it had been used but the handle (being black) was covered in greasy fingerprints and the box looked 'used'. Weird. Kettle seems ok though but strictly speaking I was led to believe it was 'new' and wish it had been advertised for what it was....

The Inbetweeners 2 [DVD] [2014]
The Inbetweeners 2 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Simon Bird

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the first one - I've watched the first ..., 9 Feb. 2015
Not quite as good as the first one - I've watched the first one over and over and over again and it still makes me laugh. There are some great moments in this one - the writing is brilliant in parts - but I felt it was a tiny bit drawn out. The scene in the middle of the outback is particularly good as is most of Neil (Blake Harrison's) acting all the way through. He has this brilliant knack of delivering one liners that are so subtle but so funny and so quick - he's genius. I do love all the lads though. They play such good parts. Simon's relationship with his girlfriend is hilarious. I'm almost giving this a '4' star but not quite...its very nearly there but compared to the first one it just falls short.

21 Jump Street/22 Jump Street Double Pack [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
21 Jump Street/22 Jump Street Double Pack [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Channing Tatum

4.0 out of 5 stars Will there be a 23!, 9 Feb. 2015
I had forgotten just how funny 21 Jump Street was! It really is a 'laugh out loud' movie. Perfect for a chilled out weekend watch. Not taxing in any way. The relationship between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is brilliant. I would agree that 22 Jump Street is probably not quite as funny, but again, it has some genius moments in it, like the 'My name is Jeff' bit at the beginning. Its just sooo funny. Embrace them for what they are - good fun light hearted comedy.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable read..., 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Girl on the Train (Hardcover)
I really enjoyed this book - I, as others, had heard it discussed on Radio 2 and thought it sounded interesting. My first impression was that it was beautifully written. I really enjoyed Paula Hawkins style. I enjoyed the plot and the story although I did guess half way through what the outcome would be but it didn't stop me from enjoying it all the same. I particularly liked the way she'd captured all the different personalities in the book and demonstrated how cruel people can actually be to each other - and not just in the physical sense. It really is a 'page turner' and I got through it in about two evenings. I would certainly read another Paula Hawkins book and would recommend this to others.

1000 Forms Of Fear
1000 Forms Of Fear

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: 1000 Forms Of Fear (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing Chandlier on the radio. I had absolutely no idea who Sia was when I listened to the album first time. It was only after I had listened to it that I wanted to know more about her so Googled - as you do! - and boy was I surprised!! What a talented woman. Astonishing. I so didn't realise she was the vocal on Titanium which I loved. I can hear many influences in her vocal - Rhianna, Katy Perry, Cocteau Twins, Lady Gaga (and even a little Amy Winehouse when she does her slurry vocal thang). However, I really do think she blows them out of the water! I adored this album instantly so much so I'm here giving it a review after one listen. Brilliant. I really want to hear her other stuff especially as some reviewers say it's better than this ! Highly recommend you take a chance and buy it. You won't be dissappointed.

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this one too..., 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Freedom (Paperback)
Loved it as much as I loved The Corrections. Ok, maybe The Corrections has, ever so slightly, got the edge over Freedom but I still thoroughly enjoyed it just as much. Jonathan Franzen has the most amazing way of getting the mundane every day happenings down on paper - stuff that we can all identify with sometimes I think. I adore the way he writes and love the depth (or shallowness!) of his characters. Its a book to immerse yourself in completely.

The Carrier (Culver Valley Crime)
The Carrier (Culver Valley Crime)
by Sophie Hannah

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh No He Didn't! Oh Yes He Did! Oh No He Didn't! Did he?, 27 Sept. 2013
I started my Sophie Hannah exploration with Point of Rescue (and loved it!) which inspired me to move on to the others (room swept white and little face). I gave it a bit of a rest after Little Face (which I didn't enjoy as much as the other two) but chose The Carrier before a recent holiday and thought I'd give it a go.

I started it twice and put it back down before sticking with it to the bitter end. My husband and I like to chat about how we're getting on with our current reads and I said The Carrier was giving me a bit of a headache (literally). I explained the storyline (which is basically about an annoying bloke called Tim with a dead wife) and that the theme was mainly 'Tim did it, no he didn't, yes Tim did it, did he, it was Tim, I don't think Tim did it, did he, he did, Tim did it, but it wasn't Tim, but Tim did it, did he, oh no he didn't, oh yes he did ...' and so on and so forth. That coupled with the Ministry-of-Silly-Names-Murder-Squad that Sophie favours was all a bit much for my brain to cope with.

I don't think the characters come across as the author intended either because I ended up feeling sorry for the wife! My word that poor woman had a lucky escape! The three main characters go on and on and on and on about how evil she is but it just left me feeling more and more sorry for her.

Tim and his 'I'll utter no more words than necessary' attitude got on my wick. I didn't find him attractive or appealing (unlike the women in this book who find him irresistible). He had no substance. He was just downright odd.

And, despite being told in the book about the 'significance' of The Carrier - I still have absolutely no idea what all that drivel meant. Nope. None. Nada. I consider myself of average intelligence (!) but that went straight over my head.

The Yard: Scotland Yard Murder Squad Book 1
The Yard: Scotland Yard Murder Squad Book 1
by Alex Grecian

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed it ..., 27 Sept. 2013
This was a holiday read for me and I've just returned, had a look on here at the other reviews, and am a bit surprised! I really enjoyed the book myself. I can take on board some of the comments about the writing style but it didn't bother me (I've read a lot worse American trying to be English / English trying to be American authors). I thought it was really easy to read and did build quite a bit of page turning momentum towards the end. I love 'old London' stories - adore Whitechapel (not that this is in the same league)- and this was a thoroughly good romp through the Victorian streets of London Town through the eyes of its 'not so trusted' Police Force. I loved Dr Kingsley's character in particular and the way in which he starts using 'new fangled' ideas like fingerprinting!

I can understand how some have found the plot a bit on the 'thin' side. You do sort of guess quite early on whodunit. But I'd happily read another instalment. Its a perfect non-taxing pool side read!

Imperial Bedrooms
Imperial Bedrooms
by Bret Easton Ellis

2.0 out of 5 stars If you're a BEE newbie do your homework first ..., 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Imperial Bedrooms (Paperback)
In my opinion not the best place to start with BEE. After finishing it I realise I should maybe have started at the beginning with him so that I can really appreciate and understand his work. However, this book was a gift and not one chosen by me. I'm no prude, far from it, but there's a particularly vile depraved chapter towards the end that is completely and utterly pointless. It does nothing to add to this (non)story and would appear to be a throwback to Less Than Zero (which of course I haven't read, yet). I think that maybe BEE thought he needed to include something 'shocking' to continue his own 'hype' which really wasn't necessary. It turned my stomach and bothered me for a long time after. I actually did not want to even 'touch' the book after this particular entry which has never happened to me before! I realise now, having read a lot more about the writer, that this may be part of BEE's style. To deliver shock-fiction and garner exactly this type of reaction.

My advice is if you fancy a BEE book, read up about the author first and take on the other reviewers opinions. Many suggest 'Zero' and 'Lunar Park' as a place to start. I on the other hand would rather poke myself in the eye/eyes with a fork than read another BEE!

The Corrections
The Corrections
by Jonathan Franzen

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed it ... second time round!, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Corrections (Paperback)
As you can tell from all the previous reviews this is a real 'love it' or 'hate it' type book. It was bought for me as a gift quite a few years ago (probably when it was first out) and I, like many others, started it, got a few pages in, didn't 'connect' with it so put it on the bookshelf for the next couple of years and let it just quietly gather dust...

It caught my eye a few months back (it winked at me as I passed the shelf!) so I thought I'd give it another go. This time, and I really don't know why, I was completely drawn in. Once I started I couldn't put it down. Its the most wonderful beautifully well written story of an 'average-ish' family and their relationships with each other. There are moments in it that made me incredibly sad and others that made me laugh out loud. There are parts that remind me a lot of my family 'set up' (not all the way through - but there are glimpses that I think a lot of us can identify with). It really captures how the family dynamic changes as we age and how we deal with the mistakes (and choices) we make in our life. The characters just grow and grow as the book progresses and after I'd finished I sat quietly for a very long time digesting it and its impact on me. I discussed it with family and friends : I wanted to know how they would feel if, in a few years, they/we ended up like Alfred and Enid. I do rather love books like this. Ones that stay with you for a long while after you've finished them.

So yes, 9 years or so had lapsed since I first picked the book up and an awful lot had change in 'my' life in that time. Maybe second time round I really was more in tune with it. Whatever it was I completely loved it. Its brilliantly written and I know I will definitely read it again at some point. Maybe when I'm Alfred's age just to see what effect if has on me then. So for those that pick it up and struggle to start with it put it down for a while and try again after a few years. It'll be worth it.

Page: 1 | 2