Profile for W. Martin > Reviews

Content by W. Martin

W. Martin "Mummy Martin" (Sheffield UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Knight and Day [DVD]
Knight and Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by DVD Overstocks

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to rent... wouldn't buy, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: Knight and Day [DVD] (DVD)
Expected a thriller not a comedy so took me a while to get into it. Once I had accepted that it wasn't a straight thriller but was meant to be a bit of daft fun, then that's what it was. Enjoyed it in the end, especially last 20-30 minutes where the pace picked up. Cruise and Diaz both pretty good ... attractive viewing even if the film itself seems bonkers! A good film to rent but not sure I'd buy it and watch again.

Barbie and the Diamond Castle [DVD]
Barbie and the Diamond Castle [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gino Nichele
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Watched again and again and again..., 7 Feb 2011
My 4 year old is a big Barbie fan. She has watched several Barbie films but this seems to have become the favourite and has been watched again and again. Her big sister has even been drawn in!

Glee: The Music, Volume 2
Glee: The Music, Volume 2
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 7 Feb 2011
Having read other reviews which said 'not as good as volume 1' I was hoping the reviewers were all just kill joys and easily displeased ... sadly, I kind of agree. I LOVED volume 1 and while the 2nd volume has lots of good songs it is lacking any really great songs (except perhaps 'Don't rain on my parade'). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the 2nd album, it's good, it's just not amazing.

The Duchess [DVD] [2008]
The Duchess [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars Superficial... what a shame, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Duchess [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I love period dramas, especially ones based on real people and situations, however I found this one rather lacking in any depth. The acting was ok but the characters weren't sufficiently developed to allow you to have much sympathy for them. I felt I should have been sorry for 'The Duchess', and possibly for others too, trapped into society's expectations, but there simply wasn't enough sense of the characters being real for that to happen. It did create an interesting snapshot into what the period was like so was interesting from that point of view, but overall it felt unfinished and a bit of a wasted opportunity to create something much better.

Hotel For Dogs [DVD] [2009]
Hotel For Dogs [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Emma Roberts
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Not award winning but good family entertainment, 24 Jun 2009
This review is from: Hotel For Dogs [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
We took our kids (age 2 and 5) to see this at the cinema. Initially it seemed way over their heads and looked as though it was going to be quite serious and heavy going. After a while though I noticed my girls were hooked. It had a good balance of humour and cute animals doing daft things, with more poignant human moments. My girls were smiling through much of the film and my eldest was seen wiping her eyes after a more sad scene. Both came out of the film raving about going to watch it again... and we enjoyed it to. It'll not win awards but is a good family film, worth a watch or two.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3