Profile for random_customer > Reviews

Leifheit 3-in-1 Hand Window Cleaner
Leifheit 3-in-1 Hand Window Cleaner
Offered by Amazing Savings EU

1.0 out of 5 stars Like many people reviewing here, 9 Feb. 2016
Like many people reviewing here, the clip holding the head steady failed at first use, making the cleaner unusable.

Night Thoughts
Night Thoughts

5.0 out of 5 stars It works best as a whole, 9 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Night Thoughts (Audio CD)
An astonishing album. Right up there with their first two. It works best as a whole, and I struggle to pick out individual tracks as they are all so good. Bloodsports was okay, but this blows it out of the water. Why this band continues to be underrated is beyond comprehension.

Alfie Weather
Alfie Weather
by Shirley Hughes

1.0 out of 5 stars Creationism and bible story presented as fact., 7 April 2015
This review is from: Alfie Weather (Paperback)
I love Shirley Hughes illustrations, and her other books like Dogger. However, this book has a very unsubtle bible story (Adam and Eve/beginning of the world) plonked in the middle of it. Apart from being quite scary, it is a really peculiar deviation from the rest of the book, and extremely unsubtle. I don't know whether Shirley Hughes herself is very Christian or whether there was a publisher requisite to bring in an angel with flaming swords and creationism as if they were facts (as told by Mum to Alfie). Very disappointed.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, thought provoking, and very different., 18 Aug. 2014
I am one of the very lucky people who didn't know what this book was about until I read it and let the story unfold naturally. The cover makes it look very chick-lit and twee, which is deceptive, because it really isn't. I think this is a wonderful story, beautifully written and deserves to be on the booker prize list. Moving, thought provoking, and very different.

How to Build a Girl
How to Build a Girl

1.0 out of 5 stars How not to write a book., 27 July 2014
Johanna Morrigan/Dolly Wylde is such a grotesque caricature that my eyes almost bled reading this. And as for the storyline, it would have been more realistic if the teenage hero ended the book by saying "and then, reader, I woke up and realised it was all a dream." Just to add to the astounding numbers of clichés therein. I do like Caitlin Moran's newspaper articles, but this just read like some very poorly tacked together drunken fumblings.

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

5.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted, gripping tale., 30 April 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
A marvellous, well crafted story. Gripping, with unnerving plot twists and tangibly likeable (and realistically unlikeable) characters. I would love to have a Boris and a Hobie in my life. Like "A Secret History" all those years ago, there is a lot of dark menace and you never know who to trust. But there are plenty of light moments too. I will resist describing the plot as it is best read knowing nothing. If I have one gripe, it's the ending. Once the "why" was surprisingly deftly dealt with, I didn't like the 15 or so page morality tale wind down. The book itself was good enough not to need that. Others seem to disagree however. That said, I am sad to be finished this book. If you are about to embark on it, you are headed for a treat.

The Home Bible
The Home Bible
by George Clarke RIBA

3.0 out of 5 stars Illustrations looking a bit dated already, 24 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Home Bible (Hardcover)
A nice no-nonsense approach from a very personable and knowledgable TV expert. I liked how he opened up about his own experiences, good and bad, including the rarely offered advice not to take on a grand design/huge restoration if you possibly can avoid it! The approach of the book is basic, but sometimes basic is a great place to start from, particularly when your head is spinning from starting a refurb. He gives helpful grids and standard sized templates, which is very helpful.

However, the book is let down by the illustrations, which are now looking quite dated. Apart from those of his own house, none of the images inspire, and the rooms illustrated look rather dull. Also some of the advice is a tad repetitive, e.g. each section has an environmental section, which often states the same thing.

May We be Forgiven
May We be Forgiven
by A. M. Homes

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and smug, 20 May 2013
This review is from: May We be Forgiven (Hardcover)
I really struggled with this book. It was clearly the sort of dark humour that you either enjoy or don't. Well, I just found it hard going and desperately dull. From the outset, the situations were improbable and the characters behaviour unlikely. The tone of the narrative is smug and frankly it just made me want to throw this book across the room. It was painful to read. I gave up half way through because, well, there was no story.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 10:54 AM BST

Shark Attack Game
Shark Attack Game
Offered by SHIRI COLLECTIONS

1.0 out of 5 stars Item arrived broken, 19 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Shark Attack Game (Toy)
Unfortunately this was a gift. The 6 year old recipient was excited to receive it but was immediately disappointed because the head of the shark was detached from the base and was bent in such a way that it would not click on. A very disappointing purchase, and an embarrassment for me. Either I was unlucky or this is a shoddy product.

Gillespie and I
Gillespie and I
by Jane Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly evocative of Glasgow in the late 1880s, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Gillespie and I (Paperback)
A gripping read based in the Park District of Glasgow during the Exhibition of 1888. Some may find this difficult to get into, but I found it perfectly paced with a chilling undertone. Miss Harriet Baxter will reel you into her world. Brilliantly evocative of the sights and sounds of Glasgow during it's most artistically productive period.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3