Profile for clare > Reviews

Content by clare

clare

Unique Abstract Flowers Counted Cross Stitch Kit - High Quality DMC Threads!!
Unique Abstract Flowers Counted Cross Stitch Kit - High Quality DMC Threads!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 5 May 2015
This is a gorgeous, large design which was surprisingly time consuming. Very enjoyable but some of the dark blue stitching on the black aida made my eyes hurt when stitching in artificial light.

Dimensions Counted Cross Stitch Kit, Mai
Dimensions Counted Cross Stitch Kit, Mai

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and complex, 5 May 2015
I have completed all 3 parts of this set and they have all been excellent. The detail is amazing, even close up. It is a far more striking picture than the photograph here shows. Of the 3 this was probably the easiest with the least amount of unusual stitches. There is a large amount of backstitching with gold thread which tangles easily, but it is well worth the effort.

It is a time consuming project but recommended.

Dimensions Counted Cross Stitch Kit, Elegant Geisha
Dimensions Counted Cross Stitch Kit, Elegant Geisha

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully detailed design, 4 Aug. 2014
This was the first cross stitch I had undertaken in years, the presorting of the threads and excellent coloured pattern eased me back into it - it was just the scary French and bullion knots (the bullion knot took me about 2 hours!) that caused me trouble.

The finished piece is beautiful with really good detail, even upon close inspection.

Highly recommended.

Ear Tapers 7 Pieces 1.6mm to 8mm Black Stretcher Expanders Earring Piercing Plug
Offered by 5starwarehouse (UK Seller)

1.0 out of 5 stars Spend a bit more on a quality material, 14 Jun. 2014
These were a good deal so I went for them to continue stretching up to 4mm. I must have an allergy because my ears immediately became itchy, foolishly I left it in for about 30 minutes before it got worse. When I tried to get it out it was well and truly stuck and caused bleeding. It took quite a while for my ear to re-heal. I've now gone back to stainless steel with which I have had no problems. Looking around this does seem to be a very common reaction to acrylic. The other reviewers must just be lucky!

316L Surgical Stainless Steel Ear Taper Choose Your Size! Stretcher Tapers Expander Plugs
Offered by 5starwarehouse (UK Seller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than acrylic, 14 Jun. 2014
Have used stainless steel tapers for smaller sizes I foolishly tried a cheaper acrylic taper to go to 4mm. It reacted with my ears and after slowly trying for a few days it caused irritation and bleeding!

I got this and it went straight through, no issues. Very happy.

A previous reviewer has mentioned the weight but this should not be a problem, the weight is not significant and you won't need to leave it in for long before you can swap to appropriate 'leave in' tunnel/plug jewellery.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, 17 Sept. 2012
This cover fits nicely on my HTC one v, feels quite solid and isn't too slippery or bulky.

The only problem with it is that the sides are white which is a bit odd, it would be far better if the sides matched the black background.

Casket of Souls
Casket of Souls
by Lynn Flewelling
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like any of the previous books - buy this one!, 8 Jun. 2012
Somehow this 6th book in the Nightrunner series felt like the first true 'Nightrunner' book to me. Maybe because the book is set (almost) fully in Riminee and focuses completely on Alec and Seragil breaking into houses, dealing with political intrigue and solving a mystery.

The two pronged mystery is well written, I particularly liked the idea of the reader knowing who was behind one part but not the other and being uncertain whether the two are linked.

Fans of the many supporting characters will be disappointed with only brief appearances of Micum and his family, although Thero features heavily and Beka and Phoria have a few short chapters.

This is my favourite of the series so far, stylistically as good as 'Shadows Return' and 'The White Road' but with the fun of the original trilogy.

Light Me Up
Light Me Up

5.0 out of 5 stars I avoided this band, that was a mistake, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Light Me Up (Audio CD)
I heard about this band, and the Gossip Girl connection and so avoided it. My friend forced me to listen to it and I'm glad she did, this is a mighty fine album. Most of the songs are upbeat,pop rock but Taylor Momsen's vocals are so so brutal in places it gives the songs an edge not found in the likes of Paramore.

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games
by Suzanne Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly different, 18 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
I was given this book as a promo for the film at my local cinema. I read the back immediately and was shocked at the blatant theft of the brilliant Battle Royale plot to the extent that I wasn't going to even bother reading it. Then I noticed the 'young adult' note and had to read it to see how that mixed with the gore...

Within 10 pages I was gripped. This is nothing like BR, thankfully, and it isn't gross. I can see why some parents would be put off by the subject matter but they shouldn't be. The premise is clearly horrible but it is handled very well.

The thing I was most impressed by in this book was the very genuinely strong female lead character. I hope she doesn't get dragged into the usual stupid relationship triangle in the later books, but I'll find out as fast as I can possibly read.

And finally... the promo worked - I can't wait to see the film!

The Cold Commands (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Cold Commands (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard K. Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation, 28 Oct. 2011
I loved the Steel Remains so I was happy to find that I loved the Cold Commands even more. In SR I found myself missing Ringil whenever he wasn't in the narrative, this time around I found Eg and Archeth more interesting, although there was still a Ringil shaped hole. Hopefully that will no longer be an issue in the third book when they all get to play together some more.

With this book I also found myself noticing even more that there is a huge debt owed to Moorcock's Elric novels, but you know what, that's a good thing!