Profile for M. J. Costigan > Reviews

Content by M. J. Costigan

M. J. Costigan (Nottinghamshire)

Flymo Micro Lite 1000W electric hover
Flymo Micro Lite 1000W electric hover
Offered by Cochranes Of Ayr
Price: 73.90

1.0 out of 5 stars useless!, 4 Jun 2014
My first Micro Lite lasted seven or eight years. It was cheap but did the job. The plastic blades didn't last long and they were the weakest link, but they are cheap as chips so that's fine. Sadly the motor eventually burned out, and it was cheaper to replace the mower than replace the motor.
Unfortunately I threw the old one away before I realised the current version has a fatal flaw. As others have noted, the cutter disc is now made of plastic, and that is now the weakest link; my first one broke the first time I used the mower; the second one lasted less than a month; the third one failed within a couple of weeks... at three month old, Flymo don't want to know about it under guarantee. I have replaced the cutter disc, at 7 a time, more frequently than individual blades.
I shall not be replacing it with another Flymo.

Winnie-the-Pooh: Return to the Hundred Acre Wood (Winnie-the-Pooh - Classic Editions)
by David Benedictus
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid effort, 9 Oct 2009
Benedictus and Burgess have done an excellent job of bringing us further adventures of Pooh, Piglet et al, capturing both the style and the spirit of the original Milne/Shepard books.
Nicely produced, though I agree there are a few errors in the text which should have been avoided. Nevertheless, well worth the published price, and even better at Amazon's price, it will earn its place on the bookshelf next to 'The House at Pooh Corner'.

Garmin Nuvi 250 Satellite Navigation System with Full EU Mapping (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Could do better (much!), 7 Mar 2009
Absolutely useless bit of kit. This is my first experience of SatNav, and I shall not be repeating it! I have tried it on three local journeys of abour 20 miles each, each of which I would consider has three reasonable choices. Twice it produced a reasonable basic route, the third time it sent me in completely the opposite direction to that required. All three times it produced a complete aberation en route, sending me on detours through housing estates and back lanes, where a direct main route was available and was the obvious choice both in time and distance. It cannot cope with instructions at double roundabouts, sometimes doesn't give a voice instruction until after the turning, twice gave a voice instruction to turn left when the visual route showed a right turn, and once tried to send me up a footpath at the end of a cul-de-sac! It also could not recognise the local motorway intersection, which has been built for over ten years! It places my home Post Code on the next street, and when I tried a route to a reasonable-sized town ten miles away, it wanted to send me to a small village over 150 miles away!
It blew the fuse in my car's power socket, and does not come with an AC charger or USB connection (both virtually essential).
Otherwise, it's simple to use with clear graphics, but I shall stick to old fashioned maps in the future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 22, 2009 7:36 PM GMT