Profile for Miss H. P. Reid > Reviews

Content by Miss H. P. Reid

Miss H. P. Reid "hreid5000" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Bridge [2005] [DVD]
The Bridge [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Steel
Offered by Leisurezone

4.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: The Bridge [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
***[WARNING- SPOILERS]***

I watched this documentary, thinking it would be scientific research into why jumping suicides are such a regular occurence and was expecting some information about the theory behind it.
In that respect I was a little disappointed, as I wanted to know more about the phenomenon that kind of 'pulls' people in, like when you're standing high on a cliff and you get that feeling pulling you closer to the edge. There was absolutely no scientific research on stuff like that.

Having said that, it was one of the most emotionally gut-wrenching, thought provoking documentaries I have ever watched. I was in tears from the start of the third part, right through till the end. It inspires questions such as "Was this what was intended for their life", and "would this always of happened, even if their life had taken a different path", and "could this have been prevented by the people around them".
It really opens your eyes to the desperation behind suicide, and how deceitful those with suicidal thoughts can be with their determination to make sure it gets done.
Word of warning though, the documentary does literally show people jumping to their deaths from the golden gate bridge, which is something I was NOT expecting, and found extremely upsetting. I do not criticise the makers for showing it, it was just extremely upsetting to watch.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 18 May 2013
I bought this as I'm a university student and wanted something I could transport easily when I had to return home for breaks. This laundry basket is PERFECT as not only is it fully collapsible it also has a fabric cover so when I had visitors in my room no-one could see my dirty washing! Would definitely recommend to everyone!

Electric Frother Foamer Whisk
Electric Frother Foamer Whisk
Offered by MightyHousewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 18 May 2013
This review is from: Electric Frother Foamer Whisk
Absolutely fantastic, especially for the price. I bought this frother as I was on a diet at the time that required powdered milkshakes. This whisked them perfectly leaving absolutely no lumps. I have since used it for hot chocolates and making cappucinos and it is amazing, makes a perfect frothy coffee!

Begging (Invisible Child Book 1)
Begging (Invisible Child Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooked., 18 May 2013
This book had me hooked from beginning to end, and I read it within a very short time. There's no real fixed storyline, and sometimes the writing is poor, but nevertheless I enjoyed it.
The basic gist is it's a story about a girl who has to beg from a very young age, due to an alcoholic mostly out of work dad, and a defeated mother who sometimes seems oblivious to her daughters plight. It highlights the shame and embarassment from the daughters perspective and also demonstrates, sadly, how the young girl becomes hardened to her fate.

1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off
1,227 QI Facts To Blow Your Socks Off

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 18 May 2013
For those who just love general knowledge I would highly recommend this book. I bought it as I'm one of those people who just like to know 'stuff' and this book certainly disappoint. Would recommend to anyone wanting to know random things about random things.

One Zentangle A Day: A 6-Week Course in Creative Drawing for Relaxation, Inspiration, and Fun (One A Day)

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic., 18 May 2013
A great book. It really helped me to free myself in terms of creativity, and as a great stress reliever from everyday life. I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to expand their drawing style, or to someone just beginning art, or to anyone who just likes to doodle. One downside to this book is that it could potentially encourage rigidity, as you're basically just copying someone elses patterns rather than creating your own.

Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery
Sick Notes: True Stories from the GP's Surgery

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly misleading reviews..., 18 May 2013
I did enjoy this book, and the insight it gave in to a GP's working life, however I expected it to be more humorous, and light-hearted. It was more of a day to day description of patients, boring ones included, and a continuous moan throughout about how annoying patients were (which I can fully understand) however I did purchase this book under the impression it was a comical anecdotal type read.

Plastic Cutter Set 3Pc-Small Bows
Plastic Cutter Set 3Pc-Small Bows
Offered by Direct4Crafts Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as perfect cut as I thought., 18 May 2013
This product was great in terms of creating uniform sized bows, however even when using great pressure and wriggling the punch a little I still couldn't achieve perfectly straight lines and often had to trim the edges to make them neat. Would still recommend as it's a massive improvement on making sugarcraft bows by hand.

Lonely Planet Europe (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Europe (Travel Guide)

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Helpful - Would definitely recommend. (Kindle Version), 18 May 2013
I bought this book as I am planning on travelling to europe next year.
It includes a full europe map in great detail, allowing greater planning of which places to visit in which order.
It helped a LOT in terms of budgeting, and the average prices you'd expect to pay for things such as museum entry, a lunch, or a three course dinner.
In particular I would recommend this book simply for the recommendations of things to do. Tourist websites do tend to advertise places that charge an entry fee (perhaps for commission) whereas most of the lonely planet tourist attraction recommendations where either free or extremely cheap, and due to having never travelled around europe, it was a gold mine in terms of planning what sort of things I'd like to see.
The only downside about this book is that as soon as a hostel realises they've featured in a lonely planet guide they tend to put prices up so the cheap hostel sections are a little out of date pricewise.
Would definitely recommend buying the kindle version as there's quite a lot to read and can imagine it being quite bulky to carry around when travelling, and almost all of the features such as maps are available offline.

An Idiot Abroad - Series 1-3 [DVD] [2010]
An Idiot Abroad - Series 1-3 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Karl Pilkington

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious. Good value for money., 28 April 2013
Having never watched an episode I was taking quite a risk jumping in the deep end with the boxset, however I was not disappointed. Karl continues to make me laugh, even at the end of series 3. You'd think that the similar story throughout would begin to bore, but it's hilarious throughout.

Page: 1 | 2