Profile for Demdike > Reviews

Content by Demdike

Demdike "Demdike" (North-West England)

Page: 1 | 2
Toblerone Christmas Tinys Mix 330g
Toblerone Christmas Tinys Mix 330g

2.0 out of 5 stars Delivered too close to sell by date, 9 Oct 2013
Service and delivery from Cadbury Direct was fine, however, the chocolates arrived far too close to the sell by date - less than two weeks and on opening a few of them to eat, I found they had developed that sort of milky bloom you get, when they are well past their best. They also looked as if they had been stored somewhere warm as the chocolate wasn't shiny and smooth but dull looking. Not impressed!

Womens Double Cross Knitted Jumper Ladies Long Sleeve Crew Neck Top Sizes 8 - 14
Price: 7.99 - 11.90

2.0 out of 5 stars not good, 20 Oct 2012
Purchased this and was initially very pleased with the look and feel of the garment. However, I washed it according to the label instructions and it has shrunk beyond belief so that it no longer fits me properly. Very poor indeed and it's a shame as I love the design too.

A quick edit - after a second wash, it shrank again, and is now so small it would only fit a child. Very disappointed.

Bad Vibes: Britpop and my part in its downfall
Bad Vibes: Britpop and my part in its downfall
by Luke Haines
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Haines Manual, 3 Mar 2012
I'd been strongly advised to read this book by a good friend. I knew very little of The Auteurs music, even though I was in my teens at the time they were recording. I knew of their existence, but something always held me back from getting into them properly - bar tracks like Lenny Valentino and Showgirl. Now I've read this book this is something I will rectify.
There were times during the reading of this memoir I wanted to scream at Haines - "For pity's sake, say something NICE about someone won't you?" but at the same time his deliciously bitchy and pithy style makes for such a welcome change from the usual sterilised, sugar coated memories of this era. He is a snidey little toe-rag and he knows it. This just, in a strange way, makes him more endearing.
By turns, I loved, loathed and felt incredibly sorry for him (particularly during the parts when he describes the mental traumas he suffered). His descriptions of other bands (Suede, The Verve, Oasis, Blur) were in parts pretty accurate. I was and still am very much into Blur and Suede in particular (never had any time for Oasis) but even so the things he was saying and the stinging criticisms he heaped upon them ring true. If you'd asked me as a teen I'd have probably written Haines a strongly worded invective about just why HE was WRONG. Now, with the benefit of hindsight I can see how phoney it all was, though the music will remain special to me as it was the time I grew up in.
What sets this book apart from others is his writing style. Haines has a marvellous turn of phrase - a sense of humour that really does permeate every line. It's been a very long time since I laughed so openly whilst reading a book, sometimes from shock, sometimes from sheer joy at some of the delicious side-swipes he takes.
I didn't want to finish reading it, and will definitely be purchasing the second book he's written. I actually think he would make a superb novelist. There's a lot of blackness in that soul that would make for perfect fiction fodder. A brilliant book that I would really recommend to anyone that was swept up by the Britpop phenomenon and would like a refreshing take on what it was really like...

The Green Beauty Bible - completely updated with lots of gorgeous new natural producrs tried & tested by hundreds of real women
by Sarah Stacey

2.0 out of 5 stars A Eulogy to Liz Earle, 24 Feb 2011
This book is a great starting point for anyone wishing to find out a bit more about 'greening' their beauty routine. However, that is all it is.

As previous reviewers have said, a lot of the products featured are not as natural or organic as they make out, and it is clear to see that they have given a lot of page space to eulogising their friend Liz Earle and her beauty range, which is all well and good up to a point as her products are very good - but it's to the detriment of some of the 'real' natural and organic ranges out there that simply don't get a look in. There is also a feature on her too in case we'd forgotten about her, further on in the book. Interesting to note that Jo and Liz are best friends in real life.

Putting that aside there are some useful tips and hints in the book for getting the most out of your beauty products and making them multitask for you but on the whole it isn't what I was expecting and indeed quite disappointing in many ways.

Memoirs of a star
Memoirs of a star
by Pola Negri

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful memoir, 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: Memoirs of a star (Hardcover)
Pola Negri was an immensely captivating woman, a smouldering sex symbol - yet an incredibly talented actress and dancer, who - like so many before and after her had an incredibly packed professional and sad personal life. This book, written by Pola herself in 1969 is an astounding memoir of her rise to stardom and her life experiences. Of particular interest was her relationship with the beautiful Rudolph Valentino, she clearly never really recovered from his untimely death in 1926. But the book is not all about that, there are some wonderful tales in it, her early life in Poland - while bleak somehow manages to be beautifully painted at the same time. I bought this book second hand as it seems to be out of print in most places, but it's worth a read if the 1920s and it's stars are your thing.

Nella Last in the 1950s: Further diaries of Housewife, 49
Nella Last in the 1950s: Further diaries of Housewife, 49
by Robert Malcolmson
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply captivating, 27 Oct 2010
I have read the first two volumes of Nella Last's diaries more times than I care to remember, I also adored Victoria Wood's adaptation of the first book 'Housewife 49'. So I eagerly anticipated the release of the third volume and was most definitely not disappointed!

It really is 'more of the same' but this is no bad thing, Nella wrote in such a lovely style with flowing prose that really captivates interest. We're now in the years following World War Two - Nella and Will are dealing with advancing age and ill health (reading about Will's mental struggles and how Nella, herself troubled with anxiety and depression copes with him shows you that really nothing changes from one decade to another) There are some very poignant entries which really made me feel very emotional indeed.

It's also so interesting to read about how Nella managed the household, the meals she cooked and the things she did on a day to day basis to keep their home going.

I really do hope there are more books planned, Nella was one of the most prolific contributors to the Mass Observation programme, so I'm keeping everything crossed more volumes are on their way soon!

Innocent Traitor
Innocent Traitor
by Alison Weir
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars a stunning novel, 9 July 2009
This review is from: Innocent Traitor (Paperback)
This is an outstanding debut fiction novel from Alison Weir. I was gripped for start to finish, despite knowing the story of Lady Jane Grey already. I was moved to tears at many points throughout the story by how harshly she was treated and what happened to her in her short life. I was a bit worried in case it was a bit 'Phillipa Gregory' - there's nothing wrong with her writing per se, but she is a bit sex obsessed - but this was character and plot driven with very little titillation in it, which was good news!

This seemed so realistic and painted many vivid images of the Tudor court in my mind. I didn't want it to end. I've bought The Lady Elizabeth to read next and can't wait.

A wonderful, wonderful book - more please!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2012 4:02 PM BST

Tales From The Green Valley [DVD]
Tales From The Green Valley [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Sommer
Price: 11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 15 Jun 2009
I am only half way through watching this, but just felt I had to write a review. It's just magical viewing, a brilliantly done programme from which I've learned a lot about the life of ordinary people in the 17th century. History so often focuses on Royalty and the Monarchy, and very rarely on the lives of ordinary folk and their day to day happenings. This programme puts that to right, and is an utter joy to watch. The dedication and enthusiasm of the team is second to none and it's good to see a 'reality' show where no-one is whinging and moaning, they just get on with it, tell you what they are doing and seem to enjoy it too. A great buy and I shall be so sad when I have finished watching it. It is up there with 'Victorian Kitchen' for me!

The Victorian Kitchen [DVD]
The Victorian Kitchen [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, 26 May 2009
This review is from: The Victorian Kitchen [DVD] (DVD)
This is just as my title says really - I sat mesmerised on Saturday night and watched the whole lot. This truly is social history at its best, and brilliantly informing and entertaining to boot. I have recently been studying a lot about the Victorian era, through doing my family tree and also for an Open University course I am doing. I cannot get enough of things like this - and cannot praise the team who made this enough. It's a real gem of TV. I was only 9 when this was first shown on TV, so not really old enough to take much notice - but I am so glad I have re-discovered it.

The Time-traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century
by Ian Mortimer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Read, 12 April 2009
This is a wonderful book - so brilliantly written. Witty, informative and incredibly interesting. Ian Mortimer captures everyday life in Mediaeval England in an exceptional way, right from the lives of peasants right through to the very upper classes. He creates some wonderful imagery with his writing that really takes you to the heart of what life must have been like for people then. There is lots of information on food, lifestyle, clothes and healthcare and I found out lots of things I never knew before. I'd recommend this to anyone who is interested in history, whether it be mediaeval or not - as it's sure to capture your attention.

Page: 1 | 2