Profile for Mr. B. ASHTON > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
This Little Game
This Little Game

5.0 out of 5 stars A master songsmith does it again, 11 Mar. 2015
This review is from: This Little Game (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Steve Ashley's work through my father who had a scratchy, even jumpy copy of Speedy Return, which to this remains one of my favourite albums of all time despite being released in 1975 although I only heard it in the late eighties. I have since then followed Steve's output which has been infrequest but without question has the stamp of quality running through it, I may not enjoy the production on some recording but even on those the genius of a consumate songwriter shines through. The two previous albums to this certainly creatively reach the heights of those from his early career and them we come to The Little Game. This album see Steve songwriting, vocal ability and guitar work stripped right back and as such lets this mans quality as a songwriter shine through, also the passion the man has for his subject matter is clealry evident and made all the more potent in the honest songwriting which speaks from the heart. After all these years Steve still has something to say and he says it with passion and with direct honesty which cuts right to the soul. These sometimes strong political ideas still allow the beauty of the songs to shine. I recommend this album to anyone who loves music and wishes to hear a master songwriter at the top of his game. I won't single out tracks as favourites as the whole album just sits together as a fine example of how a collection of songs sit perfectly together. Can't wait to see him live again.

TRIGGER POINT FOAM ROLLER WITH GRID FOR MASSAGE YOGA PILATES REHAB CROSSFIT THERAPY BY PROTONE® FITNESS (BLACK)
Offered by Gym-stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Jan. 2015
Bought as a gift but the feedback was very positive from the recipient

Nobody Dies In Dreamland
Nobody Dies In Dreamland
Offered by collectorsheaven

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Kevin beginning to see the light, 10 Feb. 2014
A curiousity, which gives you a great insight into the creative process of one of my favourite artists. Kevin was on a sabatical from his time with siren and had lost his way a bit, until he was given the recording equipment to put some of his ideas down, most of which went on to form parts of his later out put. These as a result are very raw cuts of tracks, but with kevin as usual the rawer the better. Recommended mainly to the collectors, but if you are open to something a little on the edge, it is worth a punt.

Diagnostic Parasitology for Veterinary Technicians, 4e
Diagnostic Parasitology for Veterinary Technicians, 4e
by Charles M. Hendrix
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Text Book, 10 Feb. 2014
As a veterinary nurse my wife was overjoyed to get this and she finds it very useful at work and that is its purpose.

Mtm117 JOHNNY DEPP Dead Man DAMES FEMME T-SHIRT Débardeur Robe Gilet Top
Mtm117 JOHNNY DEPP Dead Man DAMES FEMME T-SHIRT Débardeur Robe Gilet Top

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift for my wife, 10 Feb. 2014
I bought this as a christmas gift for my wife and she has worn it, which is about all you can ask, if it had an image of me on the front I doubt it would be as popular, but still well made and as described.

A Handful of Pleasant Delites
A Handful of Pleasant Delites
Offered by Global_Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Recorders ago-go, 10 Feb. 2014
An interesting curiousity, which I bought through it's mention in Steve Ashleys' Biography. It is what it is a jazz folk album, with recorder as the dominant instrument. I actually enjoy the music and think there are some interesting arangements, it can be a bit raw at times, but I think that is part of it's charm (I don't mind the sound of breathing). I have yet to find a fellow listener who can bare more than 2 tracks but as I say I enjoy it so that is what matters.,

Fire and Wine - An Armchair Guide to Steve Ashley
Fire and Wine - An Armchair Guide to Steve Ashley

5.0 out of 5 stars "Now is the time for Fire and Wine", 13 Jan. 2014
I was bought Fire and Wine: An Armchair Guide to Steve Ashley by my wife for Christmas, and as a fan of Steve's since first hearing my dads' scratchy copy of Speedy Return in the late eighties, I found the book an interesting and informative read. The narrative follows a linear timeline, which alters course when necessary, but generally remains chronological. I found particular interest in Steve's many collaborators and associates through his career and have bought a few interesting albums discovered through the book.
Though mentioned in other books, boxed sets, and articles this is the first book solely covering the life and work of Steve Ashley and I think Dave Thompson does an admirable job. Steve was involved with some of the greats of folk and folk rock, including Shirley Collins, Peter Bellamy, The Albion Band and Fairport convention along with many others and has been a key player in the history of folk rock, although at times his own output has been limited, he has managed to produce idiosyncratic work which is influenced but not ruled by the tradition, while also very clearly wearing his heart on his sleeve with regard to the things which are important to him. I think Dave Thompson captures this in the book. There are interesting insights from collaborators and friends and maybe because he has not as mainstream, as some of the other biographies I have read, this one does not get weighed down with boring detail. Overall a really interesting read which offered great insight into the life of one of the unsung heroes of the folk and folk/rock world, and I would recommend it to anyone who is genuinely interested in that type of music.
I was also at the Wigan gig where the Huers supported and have to say it was a brilliant night and Steve was on fine form, I had no knowledge of the Huers prior to the gig and have to say the provided brilliant support, with great playing, humour and harmony.

There's No Place Like America Today
There's No Place Like America Today

3.0 out of 5 stars Curtis, 13 Jan. 2013
For me certainly one of his best, a great selection of songs from his best period of work, rather than get a greatest hits, buy this I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 1, 2013 9:49 PM GMT

Fantasia (DVD + Blu-ray, with DVD Packaging)
Fantasia (DVD + Blu-ray, with DVD Packaging)
Dvd ~ James Algar
Offered by johntheminiman

4.0 out of 5 stars Disney, 13 Jan. 2013
Spectacular. Certainly a work of art, witty, beautiful, but possibly a bit limited on storyline, but I expect nothing else from disney.

Therapy
Therapy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Therapy (Audio CD)
A brilliant album from Slades unsung hero. You can hear all the bands they went on to influence on this and Leas songwriting shines through.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4