Profile for H. A. Adams > Reviews

Content by H. A. Adams

H. A. Adams (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Monkey with a Pin: Why you may be missing 6% a year from your investment returns

5.0 out of 5 stars I knew someone was ripping me off now I know how, 7 July 2012
This is an excellent book. If you are trying to protect your hard-earned money this book is a must to read. If you are short of time read the Preface then chapter 9. I am sure you will then read further. I am so glad Pete Comley took the time to share his research and interpretations, my thanks to him.

The Elephant And The Flea: Looking Backwards to the Future
The Elephant And The Flea: Looking Backwards to the Future
by Charles Handy

5.0 out of 5 stars I am so glad I read this all those years ago, 14 Nov 2011
I read this book several years ago and got a real buzz out of it. Excuse the pun! I was already embarked on a portfolio lifestyle, but only just setting sail at that stage. Now, several years later, I find I constantly refer to this metaphor, of the fleas and elephants, as I see so many people exiting the world of corporates and joining the swarms of fleas. If you are just moving into such a situation, I would recommend reading this book. I think you might find it quite heart warming and possibly informative

Team Effectiveness In Complex Organizations: Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives and Approaches (SIOP Organizational Frontiers Series)
by Eduardo Salas

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing link: leadership within teams, 1 Nov 2011
Interestingly, team leadership and team effectiveness have not been covered that extensively in academic literature. Separately, yes, both have been covered extensively. I found this book to be a great way to step into the large body of group and team-based literature. But, above all, I really like the paper by Zaccaro, Heinen and Shuffler, entitled 'Team Leadership and Team Effectiveness' (p. 83). It seemed to me to be a rare paper which actually integrates the leadership literature and the team effectiveness literature. Not only that, I think that the integrated model they offer is exceptionally useful, both to academics and practitioners alike, see p. 94. But do not be fooled by its apparent simplicity, read about it to become acquainted with its power. It has already served me well in several of my recent consulting activities.

Fully Charged: How Great Leaders Boost Their Organization's Energy and Ignite High Performance
by Heike Bruch

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a powerful new tool, 29 Oct 2011
I spend a lot of time in workshops helping teams of managers figure out how to cut costs whilst simultaneously innovate their products and processes. Quite a tough paradox, but one common to many, I'm sure. Frequently, after all the dust of these `way forward' workshops begins to settle, and a plan has emerged, a prevailing question pops up for these managers.

"How are we going to ask our people to do this yet again, the last wave of changes are still in motion?"

The professionalism which got the team through the previous tough workshop days just seems to evacuate the room. Deflation invades the room. Facing the reality of what they must now do, sucks the energy out of them. At this point they need some really practical help. I believe the ideas, research and tools in this book will help these teams a lot in this situation.

It seems to me that making salient a language and framework to express and think about energy is highly useful. We all can feel it and see when it is present or absent. But, its intangibility makes it a difficult variable to utilise and harness. Bruch and Vogel have unlocked that intangibility, making the concept salient, quantifying its impacts and supplying tools to capture its presence. In my mind I am quite sure we need new ways to lift groups and teams to the new challenges of continous change, I really do find this concept of organisational energy compelling.

Capitalism 4.0: The Birth of a New Economy
Capitalism 4.0: The Birth of a New Economy
by Anatole Kaletsky

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book, 7 Jan 2011
This book has been one of the most enlightening reads I have encountered. So many of the questions I have had and perceptions I felt during the recent past, about our world have been answered in the pages of this book. Anatole Kaletsky has provided me with a fascinating insight into the interaction between politics, economics, leadership and human behaviour. His analysis and arguments about how we arrived at the credit crisis, but could have possibly avoided it, I found convincing and quite saddening. I am about to read about his vision for the future. George Soros provided an endorsement which included words such as 'brilliant book'. I concur wholeheartedly.

Statistics without Tears: An Introduction for Non-Mathematicians (Penguin Science)
by Derek Rowntree

5.0 out of 5 stars I concur this is a brilliant book, no question about that, 5 Feb 2010
If you want to understand statistics this is the BEST book I have come across which takes the reader on a clear and illuminating journey. It covers all the underlying principles which it is essential to understand if you are to make any sense of statistics, if you are not from a quantitative/mathmatical/statistical backround. So many other books fail completely to communicate these foundation principles, and I have read several, when I did my degree, my masters and the early stages of my doctorate. Throughout these stages in my life I struggled greatly with statistics. I knew there was something very important, not overly complex, but essential to be grasped, but which had never been presented to me in a fahion I could register. I was right. If presented as this book has done, statistics is not frightening, not impenetrable, but rather fascinating and hugely powerful. If you want to guard against suffering all the hours of angst that I have endured over the years because teachers, lecturers and other books just could not enable me to see the principles, then invest in this book, read it slowly and you will have a nice life in those stats and research classes.

A Very Short, Fairly Interesting and Reasonably Cheap Book about Studying Leadership: (Very Short, Fairly Interesting & Cheap Books)
by Brad Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Updating my earlier review as I become more knowledgeable, 3 Feb 2010
This book by Brad Jackson and Ken Parry is excellent. It presents the most recent thinking about leadership from various perspectives, team leadership, followership, shared leadership and so on. Jackson and Parry draw on their notable academic work in leadership and provide a digestible, but by no means, simplified lens onto the whole field. Excellent leadership is becoming an absolute necessity to keep our world working. More people need to understand it deeply, this book makes an excellent contribution to helping us to understand it a little more deeply.

Structural Equation Modeling With AMOS: Basic Concepts, Applications, and Programming, Second Edition (Multivariate Applications Series)
by Barbara M. Byrne

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting your data analsis actually going, 29 Jan 2010
This book was very kindly recommended to me by Professor Joe Hair (see his fantastic book on Multivariate Analysis) so is is highly endorsed. I have not finished it by a long way, but only after three chapters my knowledge about structural equation modelling and the use of AMOS has increased severalfold. The way it takes you through the process, intertwining method theory with practical guidance is incredibly useful. I can see that it will save me a great deal of time and angst and help me to do a half decent write up once I get my data analysed.

Leading Change
Leading Change
by John P Kotter

5.0 out of 5 stars Dispense with the consultants: this will help you do change on your own, 29 Jan 2010
This review is from: Leading Change (Hardcover)
This 196 page, small size, big font book still has to be one of the best books to provide insight into how to approach change. It is the best selling book on the subject for good reason. It is sensible and written by a person with a good brain and intellect. Its companion books by Dan Cohen with John Kotter, a book of case studies by Kotter and Cohen and the little 'Ice berg is melting' book are also highly useful. With these resources you can dispense with consultants and do a great job yourselves.

Toward a Psychology of Being (Business)
Toward a Psychology of Being (Business)
by Abraham Harold Maslow

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read to extend your perception of the world, 30 Sep 2009
I encountered Maslow over twenty years ago and numerous times since on different academic and practitioner courses. But now I have read the origins of his views, I have discovered that those boiled-down and superficial treatments of his work did limited justice to it. Maslow's ideas are far richer and more insightful than I had appreciated. They are, thankfully, presented in this highly readable book, which is well written and easily understood. I wish I had read his books from the outset and not relied on the weak renditions I encountered. If you are interested to increase your understanding of what motivates us to act as we do, then this book supplies insights of great value. But, do take note, this is not a text book which is suited to being read in seperate sections and not necessarily sequentially. In this book, Maslow presents his ideas as they have evolved and therefore one chapter leads to the next, it is a sequential narrative, and for me that added to its attraction and power.

Page: 1 | 2