Profile for Bram Ridder > Reviews

Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, Second Edition
Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, Second Edition
by Luke Benstead

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to OpenGL..., 30 April 2013
I found this took to be a mixed blessing. I have no previous experience with OpenGL and found this book to be a great help to get my hands dirty quickly and render primitives on the screen and build from there. The source provided is a good stepping stone as you do not have to worry about setting up your window (at least in the beginning) and only have to worry about the OpenGL code you have to write.

However, as you move on and explore the book you find that the explanation becomes more high level and the authors refer more and more to the source if you want to find out how things work. I did not find that a huge issue. However, some of the source code is -- as other reviewers have noticed -- a little iffy. For example, the source for cube mapping left me bewildered for a while. Another gripe I have with the book is that it focusses too much on the fixed pipeline functions which are now deprecated. Maybe it was a necessary evil in order to get readers quickly up to speed, but the book keeps on using these deprecated functions throughout and never makes the step to OpenGL 3.0 without needing backward compatibility.

In summary, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it. I definitely helped me understand OpenGL. The iffiness in the code in later chapters and the sparse explanation of the methods used became more of a challenge which helped me to get a better understanding of OpenGL. It is a book you work though once and probably never pick up again. It does not contain enough information and explanation to function as a reference book.