Profile for Mr. R. J. Ball > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. J. Ball

Mr. R. J. Ball "bookedwormuk" (Slough, UK)

Advent MP51  Digital Camera
Advent MP51 Digital Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, Value for Money, 2 Jan. 2007
I bought this with my trip to Riga in mind & it didn't fail to impress. It does exactly what it says on the tin, the quality of the pictures was great & it's not bogged down with accessories or size.

Perdido Street Station
Perdido Street Station
by China Mieville

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Reading, 20 Nov. 2002
This review is from: Perdido Street Station (Paperback)
I wasn't too sure what to expect when I first picked this novel up, especially as this was the first novel I've read by China Mieville. By the end, however, I was glad to have bought it :0) It was thoroughly captivating, quite dark & gothic, but it suited the nature of the novel down to a tee. By the end, you can't help but root for Isaac, Derkhan & Lin, but in no way did the story give way to sentimentality or a rose tinted view of what could happen. All in all, this is a thoroughly engaging novel that I recomend :0)

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin

4.0 out of 5 stars Strayed a little too much off the beaten track, 17 Sept. 2002
Although this is a good continuation of the first novel, I felt that it lost focus of the main storyline. Admittedly, to cary a trilogy one can not expect to concentrate on one storyline throughout & many sub plots and "off shoot" storylines will develop, but I felt that these dominated the book too much at the expense of the main storyline, which I felt was only lightly touched upon in comparison. However, I did enjoy reading this novel from start to finish & would recommend it.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
by George R. R. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, enchanting, 5 Feb. 2002
From the beginning, I found this book very difficult to put down. The characters were well developed as was the storyline, it was a thoroughly engrossing and enchanting novel. I can't wait to read the second book!!!

Neverwhere
Neverwhere
by Neil Gaiman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read, From Start to End, 7 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Neverwhere (Mass Market Paperback)
Coming from a Clive Barker background, and wanting to "expand my horizons" with regards to fantasy literature, I wasn't too sure what to make of Neverwhere when I first opened the book, although I have to admit to being aware of the Sandman series. Needless to say, I was suitably impressed with what I read. A thoroughly enjoyable read, from start to end, I never wanted to put the book down. An engrossing novel, I found it captivating, describing a world that's believable and within reach. It certainly opened up my eyes to a world outside of Clive Barker.