Profile for SMY > Reviews

SMY

Manfrotto MMC3-01 Compact Monopod - Black
Manfrotto MMC3-01 Compact Monopod - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto MMC3-01 Monopod, 18 Mar. 2013
I've actually got the MMC03-02 which is a silvery beige sort of colour common to a few Manfrotto products.
The black one was on my wishlist, which is what guided me to write a review.
If you are looking for a monopod to support a medium SLR/Lens combo, then I would strongly recommend this one. (I have Canon 650D + Tamron 18-270 on mine).
I was looking for one that was 4-5 sections so it would store in a small size. This one is great for that and sits on the side of my camera bag perfectly when collapsed.
I wanted one that extended to my eye level - this one does that. I'm not the tallest, so if you're 6 foot or over, you may want to look elsewhere or be aware you might stoop a little.
I've put the Joby Gorillapod ball head on top and that makes it even more flexible.
You can pay a *lot* more for a monopod, but for casual use, this does what I wanted and was very reasonably priced.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2013 8:34 PM GMT

Tech Air Z0701 Laptop Notebook Rucksack - Black
Tech Air Z0701 Laptop Notebook Rucksack - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars misleading advertising, 21 Jan. 2013
The only product photo clearly show £7.99 as the offered price with "RRP £14.99" - so why is it actually being sold for £14.99?
Misleading advertising?
I think if challenged via Trading Standards, this may be grounds for something ;-)

Can't review the product which looked interesting as I'm not going to pay double for no reason!

DIGIFLEX 58mm Dual Thread UV Filter for Canon 18-55mm EOS 500D 1000D XS, T1i, XTi, XSi, XT, T2i, T3,T3i, or any lens with a 58mm front thread for Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tokina etc
Offered by Digiflex

5.0 out of 5 stars Great UV FILTER 58mm, 13 Aug. 2012
Extremely cheap UV filter. Bought to compare to another cheap UV filter and because I had 2 lenses needing protection. They may not be the best, but so far I couldn't say. This one appears optically flat and was a great price for what is primarily protection against accidental contact with the lens. Good price, good product and great delivery.
I would recommend Digiflex and will use them again.

ELVIS PRESLEY SINGING BOTTLE OPENER VIVA LAS VEGAS
ELVIS PRESLEY SINGING BOTTLE OPENER VIVA LAS VEGAS

5.0 out of 5 stars The King sings !, 10 Aug. 2012
I've had Homer Simpson open my bottles and that was slightly amusing.
I've used various tools designed for the task that were fairly silent and boring.
Now enter The King and my bottle opening is a pleasure once more !

The missus is a BIG fan of Elvis and I really bought this for her.

Every time a bottle is opened, we end up dancing round the kitchen and singing along to Viva Las Vegas.
I can't sneak a quiet bottle of beer without having to wait open armed for her to run into the kitchen singing...
And then hand her the first bottle and open one for me...

I thoroughly recommend this bottle opener and so far it has lasted over a year.
There is supposed to be a "Suspicious Minds" version, but I've not found it yet.
That would make her day and win me loads of brownie points!
But until I find it, this is great fun and not a bad opener of bottles.

Enjoy!

Inspector Zhang And The Perfect Alibi (a short story)
Inspector Zhang And The Perfect Alibi (a short story)

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspector Zhang - Great read, 10 Aug. 2012
I've read quite a few other things written by Stephen Leather. I like his style.
Most have been things like the Spider Shepherd series which I think are a brilliant and fast-paced read.
Inspector Zhang sounded like something a bit different and I thought it was worth giving a go for a nice low price for Kindle.
I'm glad I did.
It was a change of style and a slight change of pace, but just as readable and enjoyable.
If you're looking for a short story on Kindle to keep you amused for a while you could do much worse with 80p!
I will be adding the rest of the series to my Kindle in due course along with other titles by him.
Being on the Kindle makes it so convenient to read too.
If you try one of the Inspector Zhang Mysteries, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Enjoy !

NEW IMPROVED 8Gb Fineslate T01E 7" MULTITOUCH tablet, with Capacitive screen, ANDROID 4.0 ('Ice-cream Sandwich'), NOW WITH 1.5Ghz Processor with Gmail, Facebook, iPlayer new Google Play Market (UK App Market) - LOWEST PRICE 8Gb CAPACITIVE SCREEN ANDROID 4 Tablet on AMAZON

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 7" Tablet, 7 Aug. 2012
I bought this tablet as a gift for my sister, so I haven't actually seen it.
However, the feedback I've had from her all says it's brilliant.

The delivery was spot on as agreed and it arrived in perfect condition.

I've had several emails telling me what she's used it for and how useful it's been and how it's just like her laptop; only a bit smaller and without the keyboard.

If you're looking for a 7" tablet for a low price, but still using the latest version of Android (ice-cream sandwich) then this is definitely worth considering.

There are a few around this price-point, but this had some good reviews and a good spec. So far, I could only recommend it and the vendor.

World's Worst Joke Book, The
World's Worst Joke Book, The
by Max Hodes

5.0 out of 5 stars Awful! - In a great way, 29 April 2012
I have a colleague who is a habitual bad-joke teller.
The office thought he needed some new material, so when I saw this it made the perfect gift!
Some are a bit funny, but they made him very happy.

Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact Photo-Movie Kit - Black
Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Compact Photo-Movie Kit - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Manfrotto tripod - Lovely, 29 April 2012
This is my second Manfrotto tripod. I really like the first but was looking for something slightly different.
The MKC3-H01 is well made and quite sturdy. If you have it fully extended and the centre column up to its highest then it might be a tad less steady, but still very good.

The bit I love is the pan & tilt mechanism and the lock. It's a thumb-wheel! So easy to use and so easy to lock exactly where you want.

There is a little button on the ball joint to change between camera and video-camera. In 'camera' this allows it to swing into portrait where 'video' won't. It's another good and useful feature.

It's quite light and folds down to a nice compact size and fits on the side of the Amazon Basics Backpack for my dSLR perfectly!

My only downside - I forgot I'd looked on Amazon and bought it in a PC shop on offer, but for an extra £17! :'(
At the Amazon price it really is a steal! :-)

Hope you have as much fun as I am . . .
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2012 9:30 AM GMT

The Complete Indian Cookbook
The Complete Indian Cookbook
by Mridula Baljekar

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite Curry Cookbook, 28 Oct. 2011
This was the first curry recipe book I owned. It was a present from my then Father-in-Law. I now have shelves full of recipe books, but I wrote this review because I came looking for a replacement copy of this book. It is the best introductory book to Indian food I have found. Well written, and with some good general discussion at the beginning of the book. The layout is ideal for ease of use; it has a recipe on one side and a colur photograph on the facing page to show you what you're aiming for. There are not multiple recipes per page or missing photos; it's exactly what I needed as an introduction and nearly 15 years on I would still say this is my favourite. This book was an inspiration to try other recipes and books and other styles of cooking, based on the success it helped me achieve.

I've seen 3 versions of this book. The same recipes feature with either a few missing or a few extra in the other 2 variations.

If you're looking for a very good introduction to cooking Indian food that produces very good results, then this would be the book for you. It may not be the most 'authentic,' but the results are brilliant. If I could thank the author personally, I would.

ENJOY!

Acer Aspire One 722 11.6 inch Netbook (AMD Dual-Core Processor C-50, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB, 3.5 Hours Battery Life, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspire ONE, 16 Oct. 2011
Fantastic.
I've had a netbook for 2-3 years and it has worked well.
The limitations of Win XP or Win7 Starter had me looking for alternatives, but keen to stay with the smaller and lighter form factor.
Success! The Acer Aspire One 722 is preloaded with the 64-bit version of Win7 Home Premium. None of the interesting bits disabled and stuck with a lesser processor.
So far I am very pleased with this machine.
Don't forget, it's still only a netbook; so don't expect a high-end gaming machine.
However, for day-to-day browsing and Office use, the slightly bigger screen and full size keys make for a much better experience than my aging 10.1" paperweight.