Profile for Bill Calamita > Reviews

Offered by Rush Gaming
Price: 41.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 14 Aug 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
With much anticipation, I opened my new copy of Wii Sports Resort. I ran through all of the games and I am satisfied overall. If you enjoyed Wii Sports and find yourself popping it in your Wii every now and then, you will certainly like Sports Resort. These games are great when you have a few people around and you just want to pass the Wiimote around and give everyone a chance to have fun. The game lengths are kept short so you can play several games of each type. The Wiimotion add on does improve the accuracy of the Wiimote but you will have to experiment a little to notice it. Once you do, you will like it. I noticed quite a bit of diffence in the new bowling game. I twisted my wrist slightly to simulate a spin and this translated fantastically using the Wiimotion remote add on. Another great use of the Wiimotion add on is in the Jet Ski game. If you hold the wiimote like it's a handlebar on a motorcycle, it allows you to throttle the jet ski just as you would a motorcycle by twisting the right handle. That worked great. Other stand out games include frisbee throwing which was quite accurate with wiimotion, 3-point basketball, and canoeing. I didn't see how the canoeing event used the wiimotion but it was a good game nonetheless. The basketball free throwing for points is like being at an amusement park where you go from station to station and each station has 5 balls you shoot within a certain time limit. This was a great crowd pleaser.

Like a previous review mentioned. I do wish there were more variety in the games. Not more games, but just more courses and more events withing each game but don't let that stop you from picking up a copy. I predict a lot of wiimotion games will soon be out and Wii Sports is a great start.

Update!!! 8/3/09...
Ok, I've had Wii Sports Resort for over a week now and wanted to give some more insight into a few games since I have played them for awhile. I'm listing pros and cons but I still stand on my initial review that Wii Sports Resort is a great addition to my library of games.

SWORDFIGHTING: I like this game but for newbees on the wii, it appears that it is difficult to understand that this game isn't all about slashing your opponent as fast as you can. Blocking plays a key role and if you don't get that then the game isn't nearly as interesting. Just imaging boxing where you just keep swinging the remote with no finesse just blow after blow. Not really fun but good exercise. The blocking in swordfighting, if done right by both participants, eliminates the frenzied movement of the wiimote to slash your opponent and makes the game a little more strategic. It's difficult to train a newbee not to just want to attack attack attack and they end up losing and don't even know why.

WATERSPORTS: The jetski games is good and takes practice to ride your jetski through the rings. However, the water ski game just didn't stay on the screen long as it is only fun for a short time. The type of tricks you can do on the water ski are limited and repetitive. With better courses this may have been a stand out game such as dodging obstacles or jumping over ramps.

BASKETBALL: Both the free throw and 3-on-3 pickup games are good. This will be played alot the 3-on-3 games has blocking capabilities that generates a lot of laughs. One improvement here would be that if a ball is blocked that the blocker shouldn't automatically get the ball but it should be a free for all and given to the first player who can get to it.

ARCHERY: I love the potential of this game the most but feel it also needs a lot of improvements that could have made this THE standout game. First, the controls are a bit awkward. The wiimote simulates the bow and the nunchuck simulates the string. Not sure why but quite often once you have the string pulled all of the way back and try to aim the bow at your target, the wiimote is pointing in some obscure way like way to the left or almost pointed to the floor when you are directly aimed at the target. With practice this can be controlled but it seems like this could have been improved. Re-calibrating the wiimote did not help. I believe the game picks up the target when you pull the string back with the nunchuck regardless of where your wiimote is and then when you move your wiimote around to aim at the target it is usually not facing the tv. I also believe this game needs a little more variety. It's fun shooting at the targets from further distances but it needs more. How about baloons on the target that have to be popped in order to score points. The targets move in later stages but almost so slow that it isn't any more challenging than if they are still targets.

FRISBEE: Both the toss game where you pop baloons and land on a target and the frisbee golf are good. I found that after playing frisbee golf this is one of the standout games if not THE standout game of the bunch. You play on regular golf courses and there are situations where trees are in the way and you can toss the frisbee in a forced curve to go around the trees. This is much easier and translates better then trying to do this using a golf club. Just tilt the frisbee like would do on a real one and toss away. It's really something to see the frisbee curve (and I mean curve) around a group of trees and move up the course to make par.

BICYCLING: Very good game. More fun than I thought and quite challenging. This is one game that is just plain fun to cycle around the Island on a rather long course. It gives everone a fair chance to win even if they get behind. I lost to a complete newbee even after being in first place because my character got exhausted towards the end and when he stopped (as it will do automatically) I was passed by several bikes to lose the race. The drafting behind other bicyclists to conserve energy works well. This is a great party game.

TABLE TENNIS: I love playing table tennis (ping-pong) on a real table and must say that the game translates well on the wii sports resort. The games are short but always exciting. I love that you can actually put top spin on the ball by flicking the wiimote just as you hit the ball and it translates well on the game as the ball goes to your oppononent with an actually spin that is more difficult to return. The only thing I couldn't get the ball to do was to lob in the air. Not sure why but I'll keep at it. It seems that lobbing the ball so it arcs up in the air just translates as a regular hit and the ball goes just above the net. Placing the ball where you want it to doesn't work so well either. It works but could you a little polishing.

CANOEING: This is where the games get weak. I don't see this one played much because it's too difficult to control. You will constantly run into the side barriers because the controls don't track well on this game. Often times when you paddle on the left, the character on screen paddles to the right and wham! you're into the side barrier. Not much fun unless the courses were more open and more varied. The instructions say to paddle wide to get more power in your paddle but that didn't seem to make much of a difference.

AIRPLANE: This is the most disappointing. This game had the greatest potential for being fun but unfortunately it comes up short. The biggest problem is that you spend most of your time trying to find the other player in the dog-fight episode and without a radar you cannot find them that easily and spend most of your time just flying around. The controls on the game respond well and it is fun to fly around the island. Better than other flight games I've owned on other platforms but without much to do it gets old real fast. I'm really disappointed in the airplane because of it's lost potential. Maybe they'll come out with a game that has both players flying through an obstacle course to see can control the plane the best. The dog-fighting just didn't cut it without a radar and even with it, it needs help.

TeckNet  Tweakers Rechargeable Capsule Speakers For All iPhones, iPods, MP3 Players, Mobile Phones and many others
TeckNet Tweakers Rechargeable Capsule Speakers For All iPhones, iPods, MP3 Players, Mobile Phones and many others
Offered by TECKNET
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding speaker, 14 Aug 2009
After buying and returning three iPod speakers I finally found one that is compact, easy to use and loud enough to enjoy away fron home. It doesn't have the quality of a home music dock (due to its tiny size) but nonetheless I recommend it stongly.

Mario Kart with Wii Wheel (Wii)
Mario Kart with Wii Wheel (Wii)
Offered by DOOGLE
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Family Game, 31 May 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I picked up this game on the 26th (yesterday) from my local game store and right away the entire family started playing. The game is very simple and not much different from the other Mario Karts of past except of course for the onlilne play which we haven't tried out as yet. There are a few characters to choose from, adult and baby alike and steering is pretty easy. You race against your chose characters and your Mii's are also included in the races. You just might see your Mii pass you by. We did it without the wheel (since we only had 1) and was surprised at how easy it was. The graphics are also pretty good. You go forward by using the 1 and 2 button to go forward or reverse and B to use your special. All in all a very good game and it was well worth the wait.

TeckNet - iPod/iPhone USB 2.0 Data Sync & Charge PC Cable Lead (Pack of 2)
TeckNet - iPod/iPhone USB 2.0 Data Sync & Charge PC Cable Lead (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Transmitter, 31 May 2009
I bought this for my iPod Nano 4G. I read reviews for other products like this but this one had a the least negative reviews and a good price.

I live in a large metropolitan area and I found that the signal was strong on the default frequency. As has been stated in other reviews you won't get CD quality sound but nobody should expect more than radio quality sound from a radio transmitter. It is radio after all.

I recommend this transmitter to anyone looking for a reasonably priced transmitter for their iPod.

Valkyrie [DVD]
Valkyrie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars I unexpectedly enjoyed it,, 31 May 2009
This review is from: Valkyrie [DVD] (DVD)
I was a little hesitant to see this movie since it's an historical story & also because of the mediocre reviews, I expected to be bored, but my husband wanted to see it & I thought that I would fall asleep watching, as usual, but I was wrong. The movie engaged me from the beginning & even though I knew the ending, the movie was quite captivating & kept me up waiting to see what will happen. A very nice surprise. Also Tom Cruise was great even though I don't care for him much lately he really gave this movie a soul. Well done.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2009 8:55 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 May 2009
I didnt think I could get excited about an adaptor but this one is really neat. When I bought it I thought it only converted US plug to the rest of the worlds sockets with neat little flip out pins.

But it actually takes any worldwide plug and converts it to any socket in the world how cool is that !!!

Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Offered by DOOGLE
Price: 219.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just waiting for some games, 27 May 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I've owned the Wii for about 6 months now and I wouldn't trade it for a 360 or PS3 for anything. I love the way that the controllers make every game more interactive. I've yet to play anything that didn't play better, or was at least more satisfying, when I played it standing on my feet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2009 10:40 PM BST

Lutall iPhone External Backup Battery Pack Booster Extender Travel Charger Rechargeable Back up portable battery for Apple iPhone 4 4G WiFi HD 3G 3GS iPod iPod Nano Touch 4 4G Classic

5.0 out of 5 stars Good LAN Adapter, 27 May 2009
This is a good LAN Adapter to buy.I mean,really;you can use your own ethernet cable from your cable or dsl modem or router,and you get a fast connection.

HP iPAQ 214 Pocket PC (discontinued by manufacturer)
HP iPAQ 214 Pocket PC (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by pdarepair
Price: 279.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Reliable, 27 May 2009
I bought this IPAQ after doing much research. I wanted a Pocket PC, and knew that I needed to keep it very small. This IPAQ has met all of my expectations. I have used it for a year now, and plan to use it for at least another 18 mos. before I consider upgrading to newer technology.

If I could do it again, I would at least look at pocket pc's that have built-in keyboards. When I originally compared these, I didn't think I would use that functionality much. After using it my stylus for a while now, I think I would prefer a keyboard option.

I have had not problems with my IPAQ and it does everything it is supposed to do.

TeckNet 309BTL Bluetooth Wireless Mouse, 8 Month Battery Life - With Battery Indicator - 2000/1500/1000dPi - Black
Offered by TECKNET
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars &7.5 + small portable mouse = good deal,, 27 May 2009
What can i say - this thing costs &7.5, nice and small for the commuter laptop bag and works.
get one!