Profile for Scarlett Jones > Reviews

Content by Scarlett Jones

Scarlett Jones (South Wales)

The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things
The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things, 2 Mar. 2015
I loved this book. I would clumsily liken it to eating a box of expensive chocolates - I found I preferred to savour each chapter slowly. I could have devoured the whole book in one go, but wanted to make the pleasure last. A linear approach to anyone's life does not tell you much - born such and such, lived in such and such place and died on such and such date. This innovative way into Jane Austen's life and times told me so much more. Worth the paper it is written on.

It's Raining Men
It's Raining Men

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to live in Ren Dullem., 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: It's Raining Men (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am getting over a bug, so it was the perfect bedtime reading. I cared about the characters (the nice ones anyway) and loved all the intertwining of real life and fantasy - it must have been hard work to make it believable, which it was. Also loved the humour - the part when Gene randomly makes a pencil mark on the wall under Lara's arm made me chuckle - you'll have to read the book to find out why. I love a story with a happy ending - sometimes I've read books set in a dystopia because I've felt I should and felt depressed after reading them. I'd rather read about an utopia like Ren Dullem. The message that, if you follow your heart, you can't go too far wrong is right up my street. I could go on, but I think I'm rambling. Buy the book - it will cheer you up.

The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year
The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year

5.0 out of 5 stars A hoot!, 9 Mar. 2014
I thought it was very funny. It is just my sense of humour - I thought it was amusing that the pompous astronomer husband kept being mistaken for an astrologer. I enjoyed the mother and mother in-law's take on life, unencumbered by intelligent thought. It was always going to be interesting to see how the title played itself out and and it kept me guessing right until the end. I thought it also raised other questions - our attitude to celebrity and to mental illness and how selfishness seems to be more acceptable in males. Above all, it made me laugh and that's a rare skill that is worth its weight.

Nine Coaches Waiting (Mary Stewart Modern Classic)
Nine Coaches Waiting (Mary Stewart Modern Classic)

5.0 out of 5 stars NINE COACHES WAITING - A CLASSIC, 6 Jun. 2011
This is a book to keep and read again and again.

When I first read it my teens,I was smitten with Raoul de Valmy and I was Linda Martin, transported to the Haute-Savoie, touched by adventure and danger. I couldn't wait to see what happened next. It is quality writing and will be read in 50 years when all of the cupcake/chocolate/wedding themed books will not. She doesn't talk down to the reader and it is full of literary allusions. She really captures the essence of the foreign settings and you get a feeling of being there. Above all, the writing is terrifyingly good, the characters are well-defined and the plot keeps you wondering what is going to happen next. I am now re-collecting all her books - and fab new covers by the way.

I just wish there were more new Mary Stewart novels to read and wish I could write a fraction as well as her.

How to Get What You Want
How to Get What You Want
by Nina Grunfeld

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW TO GET WHAT YOU WANT by Nina Grunfeld, 19 Jan. 2011
I know this is for a younger market but I still found it very helpful as an adult. I have read a lot of self-help books over the years and a lot gave me a sinking feeling when I read them - they are too dry and make you feel that there are Everest-like mountains to climb. What I loved about this book is that it had simple, effective ideas combined with a creativity that appealed to me. I would definitely recommend this - Nina Grunfeld is very, very wise. It would make a nice present for a godchild.

A Spring Affair
A Spring Affair
by Milly Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTICO, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: A Spring Affair (Paperback)
I know it's a cliche, but this book was a breath of fresh air. The characters felt very real and I was caught up in their lives. It's a page-turner and I couldn't wait until certain people got their come-uppance. It has also inspired me to declutter more than any dry article could. Sometimes I read books in this genre and I question the 5-star rating (subjective I know) but I reallly would give this 5 plus stars. This is the first book I have read by Milly Johnson and certainly won't be the last. Well done.

O's Big Book of Happiness: The Best of O, the Oprah Magazine: Wisdom, Wit, Advice, Interviews, and Inspiration
by O Magazine

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely present for someone, 29 April 2010
I have this on my bedside table and dip in and out of the articles before going to sleep. (I don't mean it sends you to sleep though). All the articles are informative and interesting but not stuffy. It's a real pleasure owning this book - I feel I should pass it on when I've read it but I don't know if I am willing to. Also, it's a lovely hardback with quality paper. I've already ordered some other titles in the series - I can't wait till Christmas to put them on my wish list.

Love Affairs for Grown-ups
Love Affairs for Grown-ups
by Debby Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE AFFAIR FOR GROWN-UPS, 23 April 2010
I am so glad I tossed this book into my supermarket trolley( with the lettuce and tomatoes). Now I can look forward to reading the rest. I love it when you can't wait to read all the others. It's not often I feel like that. (Enid Blyton as a child, Mary Stewart as an adolescent and Jane Austen as a grown-up). Agree with all the other positive reviews. I cared about the characters, teared up at Cornelius and his determination to be alone in his troubles - I just wanted to hug him - sometimes you just see the child even in the middle-aged. I also found myself giggling and chortling throughout the book. It was cheerful and uplifting and the writing was good and insightful. It cheered me up and for that reason alone it deserves the highest recommendation.

Wedding Season
Wedding Season
by Katie Fforde

3.0 out of 5 stars Wedding Season - Katie Fforde, 13 July 2008
This review is from: Wedding Season (Hardcover)
I loved Katie Fforde's earlier books {Living Dangerously and Highland Fling) for the developing romance between the down to earth heroine and hero. I feel this book concentrated too much on the practicalities of organising a wedding which just brought me out in a cold sweat. I like the idea of the heroine having an interesting job, but I'd like it to take second place to the developing romance. I liked the humour of the hen night where we saw it through the eyes of the older hens rather than the younger chicks. However, I did not care enough about the characters - the wedding arrangements seemed to take centre stage. It wasn't bad, but I loved Katie Fforde's earlier books. I hope the next one is about a central romance, not a couple of romances.