Profile for Numinous Ugo > Reviews

The Jazz Age
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Genre Busting Brilliance, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Jazz Age (Audio CD)
Bryan Ferry does not play or sing on this album but was involved heavily in the arrangement and production of the album. Okay so setting these songs in the jazz age with a sound better associated with Sidney Bechet or Jelly roll Morton is an odd move but then why not?

When artists decide to rearrange their own songs I can never quite understand those who are hostile. Ferry has not deleted his Roxy Music and Solo albums or replaced these songs on the original albums; they are still there.

I know that he cannot take all those who are fans of his previous work with him on this but I for one am sold on this project, well done Mr Ferry!

X
X
Price: 13.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Focussed, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: X (Audio CD)
Okay so it is not as ground breaking as Moving Waves or Focus 3 but, and it seems to be news to some of you guy out there, those albums are already out there. So what is Thijs van Leer to do? Just sit at home? This is not a band of slouches, these guys (Pierre van der Linden, Menno Gootjes and Bobby Jacob) can really play. If nothing else this keeps the band going so that they can get out there and play the old stuff as well as this rather good music. I too would want to see this band with Jan Akkerman on board but the spirit of the band lives on and I do not recognise the this album in the damning reviews elsewhere here. This is a very good album of the genre and does nothing to harm the legacy of this fine band.

Carry On, Jeeves: Eight Complete Stories
Carry On, Jeeves: Eight Complete Stories
by P. G. Wodehouse
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 20.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Topping!, 20 Nov 2012
Whilst I am a bigger fan of casr dramatisations of P.G. Wodehouse I very soon got into the swing of the Martin Jarvis reading of these short stories. Clearly those who are familiar with a braod range of Wodehouse writings will be aware of certain inconsitencies in stories, variations that do not get picked upin subsquent stories and a deal of recyling of themes: Bertie's unwanted engagements, various uncle's reminiscences and so forth. This is not important; with Wodehouss it is the journey that is the joy, the language is thrilling and the effortlessness of the writing is a wonder.

Portrait
Portrait
Price: 11.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant Classic!, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Portrait (Audio CD)
What a revelation Josephine Oniyama is. She has real presence, a great voice, great songs and she is clearly steeped in a range of music across musical genres and cultural boundaries. The songwriting is brilliant and the voice it really outstanding. This is no mean feat, particularly at the moment, when we have gone through a sustained period of the emergence of a flurry of excellent women in music. I was on the point of buying this album on the strength of reviews anyway but when I saw her on Later with Jools Holland I knew that I had to buy it and I was not disappointed. The opening song When We Were Trespassers is simply beautiful and Pepper Shaker is just so infectious that you will want to get up and dance. There isn't a weak song on this album.

Great voice, great songs, what are you waiting for buy this album!

Son Of Dust Sucker (Captain's Tapes Of Bat Chain Puller)
Son Of Dust Sucker (Captain's Tapes Of Bat Chain Puller)
Price: 10.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear "The Man" Is Just Makin' Bread!, 2 Nov 2012
What a lot of absolute rubbish has been written here. I had a version of this album taken from the "evil" Dust Sucker which I really liked. Then I read one of these reviews about the Zappa Family Trust version being so much better. I did get a hold of that and to be honest I didn't notice any significant difference at all. I think if you played the main Bat Chain Puller tracks to a bunch of Beefheart fans you would find that 99% couldn't tell the difference.

I always loved Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller), it was the first Beefheart album that I bought and heard for myself, previously I had only heard his albums via my older brother.

By all means check out the Zappa Family Trust Bat Chain Puller but don't be fooled by the prejudice here, and the live mystery tracks here are definitely rather lo fi but then so was much of the iconic Trout Mask Replica and the same people who are getting all "right on" here will praise that album to the skies.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 1:53 PM BST

Django Django
Django Django
Price: 7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album!, 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Django Django (Audio CD)
An excellent album from a wonderful band. They are top notch live. There is so much music out there just now that is either shaped by the dead hand corporate A&R or is just wilfully dreary that this stands out as original and fresh; it avoids both those traps and should be celebrated for it.

Mirrormirror
Mirrormirror
Offered by sellerfellauk
Price: 14.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I Sought a Second Opinion, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Mirrormirror (Audio CD)
The Amazon.com reviews made me doubt if this was worth pursuing, however I thought I would see what the The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings: Ninth Edition said. I find this book to be pretty harsh on some jazz albums that I really love so if it has good things to say then the omens would be good. A ***(*) rating = "An excellent record, with some exceptional music. Only kept out of the front rank by some minor reservation." (**** is the highest star rating)

This is a very good album and although the excellence that the various musician involved may cause you to expect may not be fully realised it is not far off. Certainly worth shelling out for. I will listen to this often.

Magical Mystery Tour (Box Set) [Blu-ray & DVD] [2012]
Magical Mystery Tour (Box Set) [Blu-ray & DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ The Beatles
Price: 36.62

5.0 out of 5 stars It's A Mystery That It Has Taken So Long, 19 Oct 2012
Why this has not been remastered and rereleased before is a mystery in itself. I bought the Magical Mystery Tour (Box Set) [Blu-ray & DVD] [2012] version and I am really happy that I did. I remember seeing this on our gainy black & white TV when it was originally broadcast (boxing day 1967 when I was nine years old) and really enjoying it, despite the obvious lack of colour but because it seemed to be a bit chaotic and weird.

There was never any question as to the quality of the songs but the received wisdom at the time was that the film was a dreadful mistake, which only goes to show what idiots critics are.

In the late 1970's Magical Mystery Tour was shown as part of a run of Beatles films at christmas time I think. This was one of the turning points where I began to stop listening to my older friends for guidance on what was cool and what was not. They all agreed pompously, that this film was terrible because it was the uncool Paul McCartney who was mostly behind it. I knew then that they were just being carried along on a wave of sycophancy and were jsut too lazy to really watch it.

I am so pleased that this movie is being reappraised on its rerelease. It is wonderful to have the double 7" EP again, it takes me back puting them on the turntable. I note the issue in a previous review about the different construction of the cover, it no longer has the flaps over the disc spaces.

The additional documentary footage about the making of the movie is brilliant, giving a real insight into a very strange, but of its time, movie.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2012 10:21 PM BST

King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol. II
King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol. II

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant But..., 19 Oct 2012
This is brilliant and well worth having, however it is quite annoying that this does not offer a perfect companion as the complete master takes along with King Of The Delta Blues Singers. The first annoying thing is that Ramblin' On My Mind is on both albums and it is the alternate version that is tagged on as the last track, the version that comes as track 4 is the same as the version on the earlier album also Preacher Blues (Up Jumped The Devil) is on both albums. This seems to be the curse os Robert Johnson The Complete Collection has the same version of Phonograph Blues twice (the alternate version from here) instead of the master and alternate.

Having said that this is a fantastic record of a genius at work. I would still recommend this as a companion to King of the delta Blues Singers as best quality recordings available

Nine
Nine
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars The Boys Convention, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nine (Audio CD)
Like Full House this was an album without a female vocalist. Sandy Denny had been seen to be the voice of Fairport Convention, she had been on the title track of the previous album Rosie, released earlier the same year, but here the show what a strong band they are, they have always been greater than the sum of their parts. I saw them at the Caird Hall in Dundee when they toured to support this album. and they were brilliant. My dad was a bit sniffy about the idea of a folk band playing in a concert hall (the place for folk music is in the home and in bars not in concert halls, he used to say). This was one of the first times I challenged my dad on in a grown up argument, I don't think I convinced him but it was a minor turning point for me. Trevor Lucas and Dave Swarbrick were reluctant lead vocalists, I think, but they pull it off excellently. The musicianship is rather brilliant and I agree with other reviewers here that this is a dreadfully undervalued Fairport Convention album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20