Profile for Numinous Ugo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Irish Tour '74
Irish Tour '74

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rory Gallagher Live album!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Irish Tour '74 (Audio CD)
I always love this albums. Having seen Rory just before , and several times after, the release of this album I really found that it (nearly) captured the atmosphere of Rory Gallagher live. You could never really get it without actually being there but this comes close. I know that a lot of my friends preferred Live in Europe, and I do really like that album too, but this is the definitive live Rory. If you want the visuals as well then it is available on DVD or Blu-ray http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Tour-1974-DVD-NTSC/dp/B004J2M0QM/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1396263520&sr=1-2&keywords=Irish+tour+%2774

Still Alive & Well
Still Alive & Well
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blues Based Rock!, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: Still Alive & Well (Audio CD)
Johnny Winter has not been one of those musicians whose style is ever changing. He mostly does blues rock (heavy on the blues) with some exceptions. In a Mojo review of the recent "True To the Blues: The Johnny Winter Story" the reviewer bemoaned the omission of his cover of Silver Train, which is on this album. Whilst I see the point it is a good version, I would always argue that the solution is to get the original album, and here it is!

This showcases just what a virtuoso guitarist johnny winter is. The intriguing thing about the Silver Train cover is that this album was released in March 1973, the Rolling Stones did not release the Angie single (with Silver Train as the b-side) until 20th August 73 and Goat's Head Soup was released on 31st August.

I recently started listening to Johnny Winter again and I find album after album of brilliant stuff. I always knew that he was good through the albums he did with Muddy Waters, which I love but, although I had listened to a few of his albums years ago, I had kind of taken him for granted. This was an oversight and recommend that you give him a whirl, there are loads of great albums out there. Check out The Progressive Blues Experiment.

The progressive blues experiment
The progressive blues experiment

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This!, 12 Mar 2014
The great Johnny Winter at the beginning of his solo career. This album recorded in 1967, released in 1968, although I did not become aware of it until it was released, in 1969 in Sunset Records in UK. This was the label that released Captain Beefheart's Strictly Personal, The Bonzo Dog Band's albums and a range of other stuff that was considered to be really cool in the early/mid 70s.
This was Winter with all the energy and vigour of a young man, who had not succumbed yet to the excesses that would later take their toll on him. It is a truly remarkable album and, having not listened to it for some time I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it has worn. there have been other albums by other artists that I loved in my youth but have found disappointing on returning to them. This album, in many ways, sounds even more impressive listening to it today.
Fortunately the experiment, of the title, is successful and any alarm bells that the "Progressive" may have rung can be dampened . This album is not celebrated widely enough it is really good and I urge you to buy it.

We Want Miles
We Want Miles

5.0 out of 5 stars Great but beware the MP3 link, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: We Want Miles (Audio CD)
This is a really good live album. The best release during the Marcus Miller era. The slightly disappointing thing about the previous CD release of this album was that some of the tracks had been trimmed to fit on a single CD without pushing the capacity of that technology to its limits.

The great thing here is you have all the original tracks as they were on the double vinyl release as well as the 3 additional tracks that were on the Japanese release Miles! Miles! Miles! That album shared some track with We Want Miles (some were pretty much the trimmed versions that appeared on the original CD version of this album)

I know that I am a bit of a completeist so although I already had the single CD version of this and Japanese album , was still worth getting

I originally could not find this 2 CD version as an MP3 download. The Amazon link on the 2 CD verson links to the MP3s of the single CD version but search under MP3 rather than Music and you'll find it. I downloaded it as single track from multi-album CD boxed set MP3s "The Perfect Miles Davis Collection" at only slight extra cost.

Progressive Blues Experiment
Progressive Blues Experiment
Offered by USA MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Johnny Winter, 27 Feb 2014

Cosmic Music
Cosmic Music

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Coltrane Album, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Cosmic Music (Audio CD)
This was a controversial album at the time: Alice Coltrane released it on an independent label, that she and John had planned before his death, and under both their names. She also mixed tacks completed, that were then edited to shorter forms, with material and overdubs recorded after his death. This is not seen as such a problem these days but at the time many people thought this was wrong. I think they forgot that Alice was John's musical, emotional and spiritual partner through his last years and that he had spent many hours discussing what to do with the final recordings that they made together.

Feels Like Home
Feels Like Home
Offered by mrtopseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Is There Any Real Change Here?, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Feels Like Home (Audio CD)
If the good people who have written reviews before me here had not told me that this was supposed to be a change of directs toward country I would not have known. It is a bit better than her last few albums but there has always been country leanings in her music so this is only a very minor shift. For musician like this these genre classification issues are entirely meaningless and considering them as if they are is pointless.
It is the first album since The Globe Sessions that I feel is worthwhile, C"mon C'mon was really bland and the other since, although there have been some decent songs in there, have seemed like she was just going through the motions. This is a much better effort taken as a whole album.

Genesis Revisited II
Genesis Revisited II

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must For Genesis Fans (Download and Add Carpet Crawlers), 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Genesis Revisited II (Audio CD)
Steve Hackett takes a trawl through his glory days with Genesis. Clearly those of us who want to hear this but do not feel the need to own the CD will buy this as an MP3 download, which I recommend and also that you can then add to this by downloading the track that in not included here but was on the Genesis Revisited II Selection.

Clearly these versions of Genesis songs are different from the originals but you will still have those.

Tutu (Deluxe)
Tutu (Deluxe)

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dreadful Period in Miles' Career, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tutu (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
This was one of the later albums I acquired from the Miles Davis catalogue. I loved the cover and the idea of a tribute to Desmond Tutu. I expected music to match that stature. What I got was bland 80's Pop. In a documentary I saw recently Marcus Miller talked about how the Jazz musicians who Miles got playing electric instruments looked uncomfortable playing them but that he was comfortable as it was where he came from. Here in lies the problem, that Miles himself should have recognised. He had previously pushed musicians way out of their comfort zone to get great performances out of them. He sack George Coleman (who should have been recognised as one of the great saxophonists of a new Miles Davis band) because he heard him practicing solos in his hotel room. Miles wanted spontaneity and practiced solos did not deliver that.

Marcus Miller's mechanical trudging arrangements do allow Miles some space for playing against but this album, and the one's released around this time, have aged very badly. I have dozens (literally) of Miles davis albums that I would listen to before getting this out again although here the live Deluxe Edition tracks do at least offer a slightly more rewarding listening experience.

I recommend that you buy this album only after you have almost everything from Birth of the Cool to Agharta. The best post-hiatus album is clearly Aura but I do have a soft spot for track High Speed Chase on Doo-Bop

Stan Getz With Guest Artist Laurindo Almeida
Stan Getz With Guest Artist Laurindo Almeida

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurindo Almeida Is The Star, 15 Jan 2014
There is no doubt that Stan Getz was a brilliant saxophone player, however, he did hijack the Jazz Samba/ Bossa Nova bandwagon. Whilst many trace the origin of this genre to the earlier Jazz Samba and Getz/Gilberto it was really Almeida and Bud Shank who pioneered Jazz Samba with the 1954 albums The Brazilliance Of... Volumes 1 & 2. On this album Getz reaches new heights by standing on the shoulders of the guitar giant that is Laurindo Almeida. I really love this guy. It is a shame that some see him as the one who jumped on the bandwagon with albums like Guitar from Ipanema, which is really good by the way.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20