Profile for B. Stafford > Reviews

Content by B. Stafford

B. Stafford (Woking, Surrey)

Doctor Who - Day of the Daleks [DVD] [1972]
Doctor Who - Day of the Daleks [DVD] [1972]
Dvd ~ Jon Pertwee
Offered by MusicnMedia
Price: 5.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. Ive been waiting years for this!, 23 Nov 2011
I have always loved this story and it has been one of my favourites of all time. The only problem with it (even when I saw it as a child) was not enough daleks.

An epic invasion looks a bit rough with only 3 daleks available, no matter how many camera angles you use! I was a bit worried that adding new sfx to the story would look out of place and be glaringly obvious.

Happily though, the special edition was obviously put together by someone after my own heart. The new CGI (and a few new short live action scenes)blend in really well with the original footage and keeps to the same style. It is not too OTT, but does give a better sense of scale. The quality of the transfer is good, so it looks good even on a big telly.

So there are more daleks, more Ogrons and better lasers. This really appealed to my inner 10 year old!

The Outcast Dead (The Horus Heresy)
The Outcast Dead (The Horus Heresy)
by Graham McNeill
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it, I think?, 23 Nov 2011
The Outcast Dead is an interesting addition to the Horus Heresy series. The main story itself is not bad and moves along at a fair old pace. It takes place in parallel with some of the other major events taking place at in other novels, such as the Imperium's attempted retaliation against the rebels, so we get to see the reverberations from that as the characters react to it. We also get to see the other side of Magnus the Red's intervention on Earth, which triggered the final part of the events which take place in Thousand sons. These links help the story feel like a proper part of the Horus Heresy series.

What lets this book down a bit was the ending which had a bit of a 'so what' feel to it. All of these events toook place in the book but it is not clear what effect, if any, they have in moving the wider Heresy story line forward.

That said, it may be that with some of the future novels in the series expanding the story, this one will make more sense.

So overall, not a bad book and I did enjoy reading it. But I will have to wait for the later novels to decide whether The Outcast Dead is is a worthy addition to the series, or merely an interesting interlude (and the 4 star rating is assuming the first of these!).

The Evolutionary Void
The Evolutionary Void
by Peter F. Hamilton
Price: 6.14

4.0 out of 5 stars A good conclusion to an epic saga, 14 April 2011
This review is from: The Evolutionary Void (Paperback)
The Evolutionary Void is another doorstep of a novel but that it no bad thing. Despite its size it manages to race along at a fair old pace and comes to a nice neat conclusion. All the loose ends are tied up and the main characters fulfil their respective stories. The characters in the normal universe finally come together, the advancers' plan is put into action and at long last we find out what the Void actually is, and why living there might not be the solution to all our problemss which some think it is...

I enjoy Peter Hamilton's style of writing and he manages to create a believable (and dare I say quite attractive) future with exciting yet plausible technology, diabolical villains and interesting heroes. I like the universe he has created with the Commonwealth saga and the void series and hope that there will be more adventures there in the future

Push [Blu-ray]
Push [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Dakota Fanning
Price: 10.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable- just disengage brain, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: Push [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Push is a bit like a feature length episode of heroes (not that this is a bad thing). The plot (such as it is) swings along at a fair old pace and the performances by the lead actors are pretty good. Djimon Hounsou makes a good villain. The plot doesn't set the world on fire, but it does the job, and as long as you are not expecting too much ou wont be disapointed. And there is a reasonable sprinkling of well realised fight scenes to enjoy. The special effects are pretty good and the setting of Hong Kong is a good one.

The only negatives for me were that the director indulged in slightly too much arty slo motion stuff (presumably for atmosphere- but I found it grating)and the ending was a bit abrupt. It seems the film was crying out for a sequel- and as a first act of a longer story it would be good- and I would have liked to know what happened next. But I would have still like the end of this film to have been slightly more satisfying or decisive conclusion.

But none the less a good film which I enjoyed. Perfect for an evening after work when you dont want to push you brain too hard.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2010 1:50 PM BST

A Sword From Red Ice: Book 3 of the Sword of Shadows
A Sword From Red Ice: Book 3 of the Sword of Shadows
by J. V. Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but more still to come, 23 Nov 2007
Ive been waiting for this book for ages, so was pleased when it was finally released. I found it a real page turner, like its predecessors. in particular the first third raced along and the stories of the main characters developed. I particularly like the way that the world it is set in is somewhat different from usual fantasy fare.

I found the final third somewhat slower, but I suspect that was because by that point I had realised that there was at least one more book to come...

I hope that the next book is released quicker, because this series is building to an exciting climax!