Profile for Damo > Reviews

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds - The New Generation
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds - The New Generation
Offered by zoreno-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a bit pointless., 26 Nov 2012
If you've never heard the original, then I suggest you get a glass of wine, dim the lights, sit back and play this through a good stereo system.

If I'd done this without already knowing the original, I think I'd absolutely love it. It's an experience.

I do however know the first version well and this creates a problem: "New Generation" is just too similar. It's been tweaked so that elements of the album sound a little more contemporary instrumentally. A little more dialogue has been added, you can even hear the voices of the Martians. But whilst some of these changes are surprisingly effective, others sound cheesy and out of place atmospherically.

Also the productions is just a bit too pristine for my liking, it lacks the grittiness that the story requires and that the original had more of.

My last complaint (and I'm not sure why I find it irritating) is that the singers on the new version all sound the same as their counterparts on the original. If Jeff Wayne had picked singers who were tonally different I think that would have given the edge that the new album needed. But instead this album is like a great cup of coffee that's been reheated. It should have been a fresh cup with a new flavour.

Nevertheless, if the original version didn't exist and this version was being reviewed as a brand new idea: I expect that it would be very well received indeed.

In this day of track downloads, far fewer people are listening to whole albums - much less double-albums. War of the Worlds definitely doesn't work broken into tracks or shuffled, so you'll need to be patient. But if it starts an album revival, jeff Wayne will have performed a great service.

Coleman Comfort Double Airbed
Coleman Comfort Double Airbed

1.0 out of 5 stars 1-in-5 chance of hating this bed, 12 Dec 2011
This review is from: Coleman Comfort Airbed (Sports)
I don't know why I didn't trust my instincts because I read the reviews before I bought it. I bought this bed as an indoor spare. It's resting on carpet and has in no way had a rough time. The bed has two compartments. One deflated within less than an hour. The other, smaller section, stayed inflated but without the support of the main frame, it is too uncomfortable to sleep on. Also the air valves are poorly designed/positioned. They do not sink plushly into the bed and are placed on the sleeping side - not the ground side. So you get a nasty little suprise every now and again as you scrape your leg over it.
If I were the manufacturer I would not be at all happy with a one-in-five hate rate and would be looking at why so many of these beds are losing air. If you fancy taking pot and getting a bruised leg - get one. Otherwise avoid like the plague.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2013 11:38 PM BST