Profile for AM Roach > Reviews

Catherine Lansfield Madelaine King Size Quiltset, Pink
Catherine Lansfield Madelaine King Size Quiltset, Pink
Price: 25.09

5.0 out of 5 stars So snug, 28 Jan 2014
Bought this from HomeSpace Direct and it arrived yesterday,Monday, having been ordered after hours on Thursday evening. I was late leaving for work today because I ccouldn't force myself to get up. In recent years I had got hooked on high thread count linen but have found it glacial in a cold house this winter. This was blissfully cosy even with an ordinary cotton bottom sheet. Super soft and a pretty vintage pattern in soft shades oh and twenty pounds less than the same set in my local department store.
May have to get another set since I will have to wash it sometimes!

The Hobbit: Jackanory
The Hobbit: Jackanory
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 9.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting - and not just for the nostalgia., 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Hobbit: Jackanory (Audio CD)
This production introduced me to Tolkien when I was nine. I missed the final episode because I had Brownies on Friday and spent my pocket money on the book to find out the end! Over thirty years later I still love Tolkien and remembered loving it but I couldn't remember much about the actual production other than Bernard Cribbins (voice of my childhood) and listened again with a certain amount of trepidation fearing that I would not love as an adult what I had loved as a child and thinking it might have been better to leave memory untarnished. Much to my relief, it still had a great deal of charm.

It is an abridged version, of course, but what is there IS Tolkien. Jan Francis makes a warm and lively narrator who keeps the story moving. Bernard Cribbins is as perfect as Bilbo as I remember him while Maurice Denham and David Wood do sterling work as just about everyone else! One small quibble is that Elrond sounds more mad professor than elf lord but as a stand alone tale this is rather nit picky. On the radio you do have to ring the changes somehow.

It is very much a children's story still and while a lot of detail is inevitably missing I believe it would make as good an introduction to Tolkien now as it did for me all those years ago..it keeps the story as a fairly light romp. I think it would be a good adjunct to the new Jemima Catlin illustrated Hobbit (whose cover it shares). I am sure many do and will enjoy the Jackson films, but this is a Hobbit which is suitable for a very young audience and which prepares those who move on to the book to discover its extra richness.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars My godson was ecstatic., 25 Jun 2013
I didn't actually see the product since I had it sent direct as a present but I got a wonderful thank you letter enthusiastically stating it was the best present ever and could fly almost anywhere. So if you want to make a twelve year old very happy this works!

Long Elegant Halter Neck Evening Dress Empire Formal Gown Maxi Dresses halterneck For Ladies Womens Seagreen Size 24
Offered by My Evening Dress
Price: 34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and well made for price., 25 Jun 2013
This is a lovely dress and was beautifully made when you consider the detailing. A couple of the beads have come loose but since sewn on not stuck not a big deal.

The sea green is a slightly harder colour than it seems in the picture - the label colour "dark turquoise" is more accurate to my mind. It is still a lovely colour but not quite what I was hoping for.

Only other caveat is that I am very much a pear shap and usually my top is at least two sizes smaller than my bottom. Obviously for a dress I went by the bottom size and expected I might have to take in the ruched elastic back of the bodice. However the skirt draped beautifully but it was a real wriggle to get into the top (probabaly why I popped a couple of beads!!). I am a long bodied five foot ten so the skirt length was great but the coverage at the top was borderline adequate. Taller and larger busted women may feel very exposed! I wore it with a chiffon coat at a wedding but added a chiffon scarf to make it more modest for the church service.

If you want a summer evening dress on a limited budget it is a very good buy bearing the sizing comments in mind..

Dylon Pre-Dye fabric colour stripper machine 600g
Dylon Pre-Dye fabric colour stripper machine 600g
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd
Price: 5.80

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work at all., 25 Jun 2013
Despite using the whole packet on one very light weight garment (gauzy viscose) and the high wash setting recommended this did not change the colour one jot. I wasn't expecting white from dark brown but really did not change at all.. maybe it was done with some super dye(packet suggested to expect mushroom). Very disappointing when Dylon such an established name. Did arrive very quickly though...

Jacquard iDye Fabric Dye 14 Grams-Silver Gray
Jacquard iDye Fabric Dye 14 Grams-Silver Gray
Offered by supermart USA
Price: 2.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Silver grey!!!, 25 Jun 2013
On the plus side this dye was really easy to use. However it dyed a cream viscose scarf a sort of bronzey colour. Not unpleasant but not what I wanted so I had to dash out and buy some other dye (dylon) which was true to colour but not the colour I wanted. Shame.

How Tolkien Sucks
How Tolkien Sucks
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with this., 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: How Tolkien Sucks (Kindle Edition)
If you like Tolkien you will be able to counter most of this and if you don't like Tolkien, do you really need to pay someone to tell you why?

The odd valid criticism is undervalued by some gross factual errors and general crudity. Though I suppose the clue was in the title.

Rentokil PSR98 Rat Killer Box, 400gm
Rentokil PSR98 Rat Killer Box, 400gm
Price: 6.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product., 24 Feb 2013
I had used this before but unfortunately I had replaced it with another brand which the latest "giant mouse" ignored. So I sent off for this and it has dealt with the problem but not befor the rodent caused 100 of damage to the wiring in the kitchen. Hope won't need it again but anyone looking don't delay, this is a brand that they will go for. Took three trays in 48 hours and no further sign.
The product arrived really quickly, just wish I hadn't persevered with the other...

A Sister's Gift
A Sister's Gift
Price: 1.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugly sisters, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: A Sister's Gift (Kindle Edition)
Had to force myself to finish this. Two ghastly heroines ~ selfish, self obsessed, manipulative. Didn't care what happened to them. Appalling dialogue (the characters make speeches in turn) and implausible action waste a potentially interesting subject. Not a patch on Picoulte

Thursdays in the Park
Thursdays in the Park
Price: 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting premise but very patchy, 19 Nov 2012
While I applaud the relative novelty of an older heroine this book is very much a 'curate's egg'. The characters are a bit flat as is the dialogue with the glorious exception of Ellie ~ I am sure Boyd is a wonderful grandmother since the child characters are the most vivid. Jeanie is so privileged that it is hard to be too sympathetic ~leaving her husband won't hit her too hard with a nice flat and business of her own. Not sure plausible to have abusive childhoods as the justification for three of the characters flaws ~ all a bit simplistic when not satisfactorily dealt with. Really this is a promising first draft that needs a bit of reworking and a lot af polishing. If you want to read something with really vivid and well drawn older characters try Deborah Moggach and These foolish things (Marigold Hotel film was based on it).

Page: 1 | 2