Profile for Polly > Reviews

Content by Polly

Polly

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Like book 1 - but with more repetitions, 21 May 2013
After having read the first book and rated it with an average 3 stars, I was still curious enough to buy the second book. I found that the second book drops in quality compared to the first book. The most striking aspect is the endless repetitions: there are formulations which the author just keeps on repeating whenever a certain character appears on the scene (e.g. "corn, corn, corn" or the neverending "Hodor") - a little uninspired. The same goes for most of the story lines, which often seem to follow certain patterns, e.g. Arya's constant escapes and being captured again.
The recurring theme of incest is also something I find slightly strange. I cannot quite see why it is necessary to treat this subject with so much attention, and who the target audience might be.
Another aspect which I found quite annoying is the general brutality and use of rough language. I understand that these are meant to illustrate the "depravity" of some characters but surely there are other, subtler means to achieve this. After a while it becomes just banal and boring, so that I simply no longer cared who was being harmed in what way - it was complete overkill.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Twilight for adults, 24 Mar 2013
I bought this because of the raving reviews, and was very disappointed. The author does not use the language well: the choice of words is very repetitive (e.g. Tyrion almost always "waddles") and the pseudo-medieval english is not very convincing (I just mention the "quickening seed", and that they all always "break their fast"). There is a lot of sex going on, but the sex does not really contribute to the story; it seems like unnecessary embellishment to me, and I wonder who the target audience for this is, especially given the brutality of some scenes. Also, the characters are a bit cliche and flat and lack ambiguity (e.g. Joffrey, who is just mean, and that's it.). The book gets its complexity mostly from the very many protagonists, their different aspirations and the vast setting.
I still give it three stars because it is quite entertaining as long as one is not put off by the brutality and the dodgy erotica, and some of the worlds are quite convincing and intriguing such as the land behind the wall. I also wanted to know how the dragons develop... All in all, it provides some very light but entertaining reading, and verges dangerously on being a guilty pleasure - a bit like Twilight although is has more in common with Captive of Gor at times.