Profile for Pedro Corbett > Reviews

Content by Pedro Corbett

Pedro Corbett (Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly mastered. Avoid like the plague., 27 Feb 2013
I borrowed this CD from a friend and skipped straight to my favorite Heart song, "If Looks Could Kill". Besides some annoying compression, I immediately noticed that something else wasn't quite right. I have the MSFL CD edition of Heart's self titled first album, which opens with that song, so I played it from the MFSL CD and there it was - the song's left and right channels had been swapped on this compilation! I also have the Capitol Japanese CD edition of Heart's first album - which I never listen to because of its nasty "loudness war" mastering, with clipping everywhere - and played "If Looks Could Kill" from that CD just to be sure, and the guitars were in the right place, like on the MFSL CD.

Back to the "These Dreams" CD, I then played the track "All About Love" and its channels were swapped too. Next I tried the title track, "These Dreams", and the song had a different mix compared to the original version, with a different percussion line right from the beginning. I was too disgusted by this careless, unprofessional mastering, which I consider an unexcusable lack of respect for the band and their fans, and returned the disc as soon as I could. Stay away from this one.

These Dreams Heart's Greatest Hits (UK Import)
These Dreams Heart's Greatest Hits (UK Import)
Offered by \/\/ WORLD WIDE MEDIA MARKET /\/\

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2013 4:55 PM BST

Offered by westworld-

The Final Frontier
The Final Frontier
Offered by Amore DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars Another shameful "loudness war" production, 24 April 2011
This review is from: The Final Frontier (Audio CD)
"But I want to listen to Iron Maiden LOUD", you cry. Of course you do, and so do I. But that means YOU turning up the volume on your sound system till it's loud enough for your taste, instead of listening to a recording which was so poorly mastered that its sound waves have simply been "clipped" (cut off) and its audio distorted because the volume was set so high that it exceeded the CD-Audio specifications. That's what the "loudness war" is all about - in an effort to make buyers think they are getting a better product because it sounds louder, they are actually offering you a badly mixed, distorted recording with parts of the audio just NOT present on the CD. This was the case with most Iron Maiden's "enhanced" re-releases, but in those cases you could still get the original CD releases. Since this is a new album, there is no alternative, my friend - you are going to have to listen to a distorted recording with poor dynamic range and parts of the audio missing. This CD has 2969 clipped samples on the left channel and 2116 clipped samples on the right channel - that is, at those points, the sound wave volume level was pushed above the CD-Audio specification limits and was cut off - like a hill that had its top flattened out. Since Iron Maiden has long had full control over their productions, it's hard not to blame the band for this shameful release, technically speaking. As a long time, die-hard fan, I feel disrespected and betrayed by them.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2012 11:33 PM BST

Gone to Australia: On Tour 1975-1984
Gone to Australia: On Tour 1975-1984
Offered by I.R.D. International Records Dist.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loudness war to the extreme, 8 Mar 2010
This album is one of the most regrettable examples of extreme "loudness war" mastering I have ever had the displeasure of analyzing. Besides the usual absurd raising of volume levels with complete disregard to the dynamics of the songs, there are nothing less than 24477 clipped samples on the left channel and 18536 on the right channel. This happens when the sound levels go beyond the limits of the audio CD specifications and parts of the sound wave are "cut off" - or, in other words, the waveform literally flatlines and any sound at those points is simply lost. Even in the parts where clipping does not occur, the absurd raising of the sound levels results in some very uncomfortable listening. Again, these audio "engineers" should definitely go work in some other field more adequate to their abilities like dog walking or whatever, where they can't slaughter music like they have done here.

The Lark In Morning - The Early Years
The Lark In Morning - The Early Years

2.0 out of 5 stars Steeleye Span meets the loudness war, 5 Mar 2010
Yes, they did it again. Besides pushing every frequency range to the limits, they managed to actually cripple the songs with over 200 clipped samples on disc 1 and over 900 on disc 2. This happens when the sound levels go beyond the limits of the audio CD specifications and parts of the sound wave are "cut off" - or, in other words, the waveform literally flatlines and any sound at those points is simply lost. Even in the parts where clipping does not occur, the absurd raising of the sound levels results in some very uncomfortable listening. All instruments and vocals have had their volumes raised to the same high levels, resulting in a complete loss of the dynamics of the songs, with instruments that were originally very quiet now sounding as loud as everything else. Why can't these audio "engineers" go work in some other field more adequate to their abilities like dog walking or whatever, thus avoiding criminally maiming classic, essential music like this?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2014 12:29 PM BST

Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 3.5 inch 2TB 32MB SATA HDD Saturn
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 3.5 inch 2TB 32MB SATA HDD Saturn

1.0 out of 5 stars Noisier than my whole system, 4 Feb 2010
I have just purchased this drive and it produces more noise when accessing data randomly than my 3 case fans plus CPU fan plus video card fan plus my other 3 HD's TOGETHER. What's worse, Hitachi simply removed the option to alter the AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management) parameters from their Feature Tool utility since its version 2.13.

If anybody else was unfortunate enough to purchase this drive, here's the solution: get the freeware utility WinAAM or the more sophisticated HD Tune (not freeware), boot the system with the HD set to IDE mode in the BIOS (AAM can't be altered in SATA/AHCI/RAID mode) and set the AAM value to 128. There will be NO noticeable performance penalty (I did A LOT of testing with HD Tach) and the absurd noise will disappear.

I tried contacting Hitachi's support about this but they didn't seem to even bother reading my message and sent me a standard copy and paste reply. This will be my first and last Hitachi hard drive EVER.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2011 3:43 PM GMT

Over the Brooklyn Bridge ( Across the Brooklyn Bridge ) ( My Darling Shiksa )
Over the Brooklyn Bridge ( Across the Brooklyn Bridge ) ( My Darling Shiksa )
Offered by phoenixdvd UK DISPATCH

1.0 out of 5 stars Appallingly bad DVD production; original title song removed, 3 Feb 2010
This is a very nice movie. This DVD edition, unfortunately, is as bad as it gets. For starters, the copy I got simply stops playing at the end of chapter 7, or at 1 hour and 25 minutes of play. The chapters menu also only shows 6 chapters. If you're playing chapter 6 and try to forward to the next chapter, reproduction stops. You need to let the chapter play so that it will enter chapter 7 by itself. The movie will then play till the end of this chapter, then stop. I opened the DVD folder with the video files on my computer, and the final part of the film was there - it just isn't referenced by the menu system or linked to from chapter 7.

When playing this last block directly on the computer, I was shocked to realize that they had simply removed the best thing about the film, the main title theme song "Over The Brooklyn Bridge", performed by Imagination, and left only an instrumental version of it. This song wasn't released anywhere else and was the main reason that led me to buy the DVD, and I feel completely ripped off.

Even though this is the only DVD edition of the movie released to date, avoid it at all costs.

Definitive Collection (Mini LP Replica)
Definitive Collection (Mini LP Replica)

1.0 out of 5 stars Loudness war to the extreme, 13 Sep 2009
The albums in this box-set feature some of the worst "loudness war" mastering I've ever had the chance to analyze. I'm not going to get into much detail on what the "loudness war" is - look it up on Google and YouTube for a few thousand examples. In simple terms, a recording is said to have been victimized by the "loudness war" when it was mastered with the audio volume so high that it exceeds the limits of the CD format specifications. Among other nasty effects like unwanted distortion and loss of dynamic range, this usually causes "clipping", that is, parts of the audio simply don't "fit" into the CD's volume range and are cut off, or in other words, lost. It doesn't matter if you play a "loudness war" CD at low or high volume - it will always sound distorted, uncomfortable to listen to, and you simply won't be hearing everything that was in the original recording because much of the audio was lost or damaged in the production of the CD. Recording companies have been cannibalizing musical masterpieces like these albums for years now, and I wonder why no class action has been filed against them yet for what is, in a nutshell, a crime against the consumers.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2013 9:52 PM GMT

Definitive Collection
Definitive Collection
Offered by Founders Factory JPN4UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Loudness war to the extreme, 13 Sep 2009
This review is from: Definitive Collection (Audio CD)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2014 6:58 PM BST