Profile for Helen Barnes > Reviews

Content by Helen Barnes

Helen Barnes

Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)

5.0 out of 5 stars I am pleased with my Kindle, not so happy with Amazon!!, 4 April 2014
I am on my second Kindle HD 16GB, the first one developed a fault where it would try to start up, pause, then switch itself back off again. This was when the product was less than 6 weeks old. I went online to Amazon's website to 'troubleshoot' the problem, and chatted online with an Advisor who talked me through a factory reset. This worked for about 24 hours before the problem recurred. I contacted Amazon again, who said ' don't worry, we'll replace the item straight away'. I was impressed with this service - I had been expecting to have to return it to the place of purchase. However, my replacement arrived today - and was labelled RECONDITIONED/REFURBISHED. I contacted Amazon to see why I had effectively received a second hand product for my almost brand new one. Apparently this is their normal procedure for products over 30 days old. The second hand replacement is now on it's way back to Amazon and Argos have kindly provided a 'brand new' replacement. Very disappointed with Amazon!!

The product itself is great (when it works), plenty of storage, items downloaded are safely stored on the cloud so I have not lost my purchases in all the fuss. Good clear screen. Speaker sound is good quality. Launches web pages quickly and efficiently. Overall I am pleased with the product, if it had not been tainted by Amazon's poor service.

Will You Love Me?: The story of my adopted daughter Lucy: Part 1 of 3
Will You Love Me?: The story of my adopted daughter Lucy: Part 1 of 3

5.0 out of 5 stars I downloaded the sample to see what it was all about, 28 Mar 2014
I don't think it would be right to say I enjoyed this book, given that it was about a child who suffered so much in her young life. Yet it was beautifully, tactfully, written. It gave a [saddening] insight in to the failures in social services that prolonged her suffering. It was wonderfully concluded - a happy ending for this young girl who deserved so much more than what she endured.

The book had me gripped from start to finish, it kept me wanting to turn the pages, hoping for her life to get better. It showed one woman's determination to help her, and for that I am glad I read it.

The Husband's Secret
The Husband's Secret

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 28 Mar 2014
This is the first book that I have read by Liane Moriarty and I love it!

I always check the back cover of a book to get an idea of what the story is about, and this one caught my eye so I just had to read it.

You learn only a few chapters in what the 'husband's secret' is, and then follow the effects that this has on a number of lives. The story is cleverly written, with each chapter moving from one family, to another, and then back again. We follow each of their lives until the story brings all these different lives together, connecting them. Then a final, unexpected twist concludes a fabulously written story. I will be looking out for more books by this writer!

What Alice Forgot
What Alice Forgot

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fab book by Liane Moriarty, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: What Alice Forgot (Kindle Edition)
I chose to read this book after reading another book by Liane Moriarty, called The Husband's Secret. I just loved her writing style so thought I would give this book a try, and I was not disappointed.

The story focuses on Alice who, following an accident, loses 10 years' worth of memory. Imagine the effect that this would have on your life if you had forgotten the last 10 years, and then follow the story as it explains how Alice's life had changed in this time. She is no longer the person she is now....she is Alice 10 years younger. Her personality, her life, everything has changed.

I love how Liane Moriarty 'ties up all the loose ends' and brings this story to a beautiful conclusion.....